mfishmike

SoundSplinter Drivers & Home Theater

Hi again Mike.....

The first thing I want to mention is I don't see any posts in regards to your drivers being used in the home theater market. Most or all of the posts are for autos and SUV's. Are you selling many for home use yet? If so, I guess they aren't posting in the forums.

It's been a while since I've visited your forum. My subwoofer is still performing flawlessly! My system has become such a hit that folks with new music and movie DVD's are coming out of the woodwork to come over to view them for the first time on my system. It wouldn't be complete without your subs.... :lickscreen:

As you might remember, I'm running two of your RLP 15" in a single box which has the recommended volume for just a single driver along with 4 passive radiators. I've got pictures falling off of the walls and stuff sliding off of shelving two rooms away. I just would like the challenge of building the best of the best.

I just can't stand it any longer and need another project. Work is better now and I would like to start on the Grandaddy of all subs!

I'm looking into the possibility of installing two of your RLS 15's in a single sealed cabinet. With the high QT, it would have to be sealed and no passive radiators. I don't want the port noise and tuning issues either. I don't want to go the infinite baffel route. My attic gets too hot.

What would be your recommendation for the ultimate home theater sub, your drivers, and a sealed cabinet? Two of the RLS 15's or two of the RLP 18's, in a single cabinet. I don't have the living room space for two separate cabinets. I'll still be using two of the QSC 1450 watt amps; 1450 watts @ 4 ohms, one amplifier per driver, bridged to mono.

I still want to keep my very rich clean low end bass at low volumes as well as with the higher spl for movies and loud concerts.

I'll probably be selling my current 6 driver sub without the amps for $1,400 if I decide to take the challenge. It's been on Craiglist for a while here in Houston/Clear Lake and I have some folks with some interest, but not the money.

I want your straight up answer. You've always been good to me and I certainly appreciate it, just like all of your customers.

Thanks,

Mike Cason

Edited by mfishmike

The advantage of the RL-P's is efficiency and enclosure size. The advantage of the RL-S is linearity.

And SoundSplinter drivers are used quite heavily in the home audio world....look at the projects on HomeTheaterShack.com or AVSForum.com.

The advantage of the RL-P's is efficiency and enclosure size.

This time, I'm not worried about cabinet size. My mains, TV, and equipment rack are 5 foot tall and I expect to build the next sub to match the same height as the rest of the system. It just may have to be a little bit deeper. With dual drivers, I should be able to acheive a higher effiiency than a single driver which has proven to be so sucessful with my mains at 6 db gain per driver.

The advantage of the RL-S is linearity.

When you speak "Linearity", I'm assuming you are speaking about the additional xmax of the cone excursion and the higher motor strength. My main concern is to be able to obtain a very clean and crisp bass at the low levels because I'm not going to have the advantage of having passive radiators to help me get that extended bass. This sub is so incredible at those lower levels. I don't want to have to crank it up to have rich bass. I listen to a lot of music at very low levels too.

And SoundSplinter drivers are used quite heavily in the home audio world....look at the projects on HomeTheaterShack.com or AVSForum.com.

I'm a member there too. I've seen a few projects but I haven't looked in a while.... :captain:

Thanks for any inputs and I would like to hear from Mike and what he would recommend. He's been terrific!

Mike

I checked the home theater forum for other's project and forgot I had made several posts there. I've been in a year and a half long truck restoration project.....

I've been in contact with Mike today and I'm getting two more of the RLP 15's and duplicating what I already have with the passive radiators. Those passive radiators really extend the lows for me with out the porting problems. It just costs quite a bit more.

The RLS-15 is unavailable now, and I would also have to get two higher output amps to pump them if they were.

With "two" subwoofers like the one I've already built and tested to be awesome, that should be plenty for any home theater or living room. I've been driving each driver with their own QSC 1450 amp bridged with a 4 ohm load.

In order to build another subwoofer I needed one of those amps for the new sub, so I played with the wiring on my drivers. I've got two drivers with DVC 2 ohms. I wired all four coils in series and ended up with an 8 ohm load to the amp. Bridged with the 8 ohm load, a single QSCamplifier seems to be doing a great job and is running cooler as the fans don't kick up to high gear when the system is cranked up. I tested it with Fleetwood Macs Rumors album and Diana Krall's Live in Paris which has a nice string bass. The sound is fantastic.

I didn't think one QSC could do so well pushing two drivers. I had them in stereo before so I think by running all the voice coils in series, presenting the 8 ohm load to the amp as one driver with the amp bridged to mono was the secret I've been looking for.

I hope this information can help someone who finds themselves in a situation similar to mine.

Mike

Edited by mfishmike

Mike you have to be one of the better Sound Splinter customers. :)

I hope to have an RL-s in HA in the future.

Thanks Denim,

I'm proud of the SoundSplinter products and the excellent service I've received over the years so I'll continue to be a customer as long as I have the need for drivers in the future.

Very best regards,

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike, looks like I got to your email before the forum, and as noted, most of the home theater projects tend to gravitate towards the Home Theater Shack, though SSA will always be the original home for SoundSplinter. =]