shizzzon

Big, BIG Wire and terminals

I need 15/0 AWG size who makes it?

Haha, did i make you think i was retarded for a minute or just straight crazy?, hehe

No but seriously, does anyone know where i can get 2/0 or maybe even 3/0 wire?

Also, I would need to know anyone who makes battery terminals for these sizes and or the following-

fused distribution capability

non fused distro capability

2/0 to 1/0 reducers or

3/0 to 1/0 reducers.

Reasoning-

Lanzar's engineers should be smacked in the face for being retarded.

They released a 6000D, 6,000w amp with ONLY 1 set of power and ground terminals!

Hifonics Goliath is only a 5kw amp and it has 2 sets!

Anyways, i was doin some research and anything over 4.5 ft, yes, that's 54 inches, of 1/0 wire for 600A of current will cause the wire to melt down.

So, better make it no longer than 4ft long, huh?

1/0 wiring for 4 ft is 0.3v drop, pretty big for just 4 ft. 3/0 is only 0.14v drop, 2/0 is 0.24v

Any info?

Guest zedman

why not do multiple runs of 1/0 and make your own distribution bars with fuses attached?

where are you from? I could possibly help you with a reducer that would take 2 1/0 gauge wires down to a 1/0 to fit in the opti.

If you don't mind loosing some flexibility, any local electrical supply should have 4/0 copper for sale.

They should just split these amps in half. Put a sealed power supply under the hood and run 100V+/- rail voltage back to the amp.

good idea.

I finally found Stinger's Reducer.

stinger makes the reducer to go from 3/0 Wire back down to 0 gauge. So, this is going to be interesting.

I'm planning on running a 3,000w amp in the rear but i can't install a batt back there because of weight. Seriously!

So, running a 3/0 wire back to the amp and using a 300A alt should do the trick. The cool thing about the reducer... is using it for grounds, :)

I guess i'll start planning now-

I'm gonna attempt in the next few months 2 12" BL's ported off of 3,000w. I'm lookin at either the 3000w Sundown amp or Lanzar's 4000w Opti amp. Both do about the same power at my given voltage, just Lanzar's cheaper.

www.weldingsupply.com

They have some big stuff and their wire and terminals are short money. Their wire is made in USA too.

what is the difference between welding wire and car audio power wire?

There has to be something negative about welding cable or else everyone would use it because-

www.weldingsupply.com sells 4/0 wire for $3.xx\ft ultraflex cable. So i know it doesn't have to do with flexibility issues.

I read somewhere else that welding cable carries more current than same size power wire for car audio. So, i'm confused...

what is the difference between welding wire and car audio power wire?

There has to be something negative about welding cable or else everyone would use it because-

www.weldingsupply.com sells 4/0 wire for $3.xx\ft ultraflex cable. So i know it doesn't have to do with flexibility issues.

I read somewhere else that welding cable carries more current than same size power wire for car audio. So, i'm confused...

biggest difference is sheathing...car audio cable has more wrapped around it then typical welding cable. that said, welding cable usually has some sort of wrapping in the wrapping so to speak. don't know the technical term, but it's a wax paper sort of wrap that's suppose to help in protecting against bare wires.

also, not for sure if it's true, but high end car audio cable might have less resistance through the same length of run. higher strand count, less oxygen, blah, blah, blah. in welding, that's not a huge issue, just being able to carry and maintain the high current needed to weld.

otherwise, alot of people here use welding cable with great results. i used it in my truck, no issues what so ever.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Welding wire is usually a higher quality wire than the stuff they sell for car audio. Check it out, it usually has a MASSIVE strand count in it, I have a stretch of 4ga in my girlfriends car and the stuff is so flexible and nice; the only bad thing is once you strip an end if you remove it at all it frays up like crazy because the strand count is so high. Also check the wiring when you get it, there's different standards for wire gauging, the 4ga I have in the g/f's Altima barely fits in the 2ga distribution block.

well, due to problems finding reducers from 4/0 to 1/0, i decided to go with Stinger's new XperT series wire and reducers.

3/0 wire with 1/0 reducers. www.darvex.com sells them, wire has over 6,200 strands in it and is flat wire as well so easy to run under things without bulging up.