ABXX49

Problems with my system

I had this posted in the Fi forums, but I stopped getting replies so I figured I'd post out here. I bought an Fi Q12 and a Cadence TXA1000D around the new year. I got it all installed about 1.5 weeks into January. Everything was playing great for a while, sounded awesome. Well last week I was out driving around and my sub started to cut out. It would play some notes and then it would stop. A few seconds later it would start back up, play a few, and then stop. The next day I started playing it again and it sounded fine for about five minutes and it started to do the same stuff. Now, it wont hit anything. Every once in a while it will hit, out of no where, just randomly. I pulled everything out, checked my fuses, and everything looks fine.

People told me to see if I heard any scratching sounds in the sub to see if it was a burnt coil, but I don't hear any. I was told to check my amp speaker terminals and check the ohm load. It checked out fine. I'm just lost here. ANY help will be much appreciated.

I haven't heard many great things about that amplifier, and after seeing one go bad in front of me...meh.

I had a similar problem with a JL sub after about three years of use. It happened back in the day and i didn't know enough then to check this and check that, but buying a new sub fixed the problem so...

wiggle the cables back there, any and all of them and try to replicate the scenario.

If that doesn't do it, low voltage maybe?

Can I measure my voltage with my DMM from the amp....and if so what is 'normal' voltage from it?

"normal" is anywhere from 12v-14.4v

Do you have another amp you can try to see if you get sound out of the sub? Or another speaker you can hook to the existing amp? Narrow down what could be wrong, it doesn't have to be a high powered amp or even a subwoofer that you swap in. Just something you know works that can test the other side of the equation.

sounds like the fuse is arcing. With my xtant I ran a 150 anl fuse. Upon going to a larger amp 1501d it would cut off intermittently for no apparent reason. Starting at the subs tested to make sure the ohms were constant, checked remote voltage at the amp, solid ground, left voltage. Fuses good on the amp. Then finally the front fuse.

While it looked to be good, if you moved it back and forth the fuse would arc on the side. Switched the fuse out, and no issues since.

If the sub ohmed out fine it's probably the amplifier. Borrow another amp or sub, hook the sub up to your amp; if that doesn't work hook the amp up to your sub. It's 1 of the 2 things going wrong, probably the amp needs sent back for repair but as stated above you have to isolate that problem first. Using a DMM and measuring your voltage doesn't tell you the whole story, swapping in known good equipment to find the broke link does.

Alright, well I'm gunna have to find someone on campus who has an amp I can try I guess....thanks guys

They often cut out at 10v, but if a power problem you should see it on a meter when it happens. Also check your ground, check every connection. Right, it is easier to just swap something if you can't test. You can ohm the sub also if you have a meter. Is the amp on the box? If so it might have vibrated something loose, you can bump the amp a little and see what it does. If that affects it a repair may be easy since it likely has not smoked yet.

My amp isn't mounted to the box, but I did find a kid on campus who said I can hook my sub up to his amp to test it....so thats the plan.

No, that's not really the plan. You need to swap his amp into your system. You're not just checking to see if the sub is bad, you're checking to see if your wiring is bad as well.