CraigC

RL-P voice coil change?

Would it be possible to change a dual 4ohm RL-P12 to dual 2 ohm? If so, how much would it cost?

You would need a recone that included all the "soft parts"....ie. voice coil, former, leads, cone, surround, etc.

I don't know if Mike sells recones. You could get it reconed through Fi Car Audio if you wanted, I'm sure, or you could sell the D4 you have and buy a new D2.

email mike directly for a faster response....but i imagine he could indeed hook you up with a d2 recone, if it'll fit the d4 motor (not sure if the gap is the same) some of the smarter people here (like neil above) could clarify that.

of course the two other options he listed would work. but i think i'd want to keep it all SS....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Thanks guys. I may just use it as is, if my amp would provide enough power. Would 400 rated watts @ 4ohm stereo from my soundstream VGA 800.2 be enough in a smallish ported box (1.5 - 2.0)? Be cool if it would, amp definitely wouldn't be strained.

You could only hook one channel up to the sub...

Why not just sell it and get an amp that produces the power you need at 2 ohms?

You could only hook one channel up to the sub...

Why not just sell it and get an amp that produces the power you need at 2 ohms?

Why couldn't I use both channels, 4ohm stereo, with a D4 sub?

because with a d4 sub, you can only wire 2ohm or 8 ohm mono or 4 ohm stereo. you do not want to use just a single coil.

and 400wrms would work fine, just fine. but i'd suggest following john's advice adn geting a 2 ohm mono block amp, 400 watts to about 1200 would be sweet.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Alas, I have no recone kits available. You can most certainly hook up each seperate channel from your amplifier to each seperate coil, for 4 ohm stereo, resulting in 400 watts of total RMS power to the driver, which is definitely acceptable for the RL-p -- though you could also stand to use twice that much!

wow sounds like a sub I would be interested in owning in the near future.......

Aloha

Alas, I have no recone kits available. You can most certainly hook up each seperate channel from your amplifier to each seperate coil, for 4 ohm stereo, resulting in 400 watts of total RMS power to the driver, which is definitely acceptable for the RL-p -- though you could also stand to use twice that much!

I'm running this exact set-up on my RL-p18 at Mike's advice and that of my amp manufacturer (Bel Canto) I am sending 400 Watts (so far) and it's downright scarey. You won't be disappointed