eCrack

Hi, I'm Blake from eCrack.net

We have started a Car Audio News and Reviews Website. So far we don't have vendor support which is obviously key. We designed the site so that vendors can post new product information directly to the front page of the site. They do that at no cost to them.

We would also like to review their product. (We are willing to pay for return shipping.)

It is difficult to get started for two reasons. Visitors will not come if you have little content, and vendors will not advertise unless you have visitors. So we're asking both parties to come and take part. It will benefit us all. For too long we have done without a single place to get all new car audio information. We have done without reviews of products and have been forced to buy based on our friend's experience.

It's time to make this hobby that we all love prosper. Please help us do that.

Did you look at one of the sites linked on the main forum here? Down near the bottom....

Or in my sig.

Welcome to SSA. There are all quality companies here.

You all asked me to take a look at what you have.... the status quo. I looked long before I started that site. I started that site out of a desire for something better. If you want to browse through forums and various threads to get your information, then what we have now is just fine for you. I prefer to have my homepage set to a site that displays all of that information on the frontpage so that I never have to sift through things... so that I know about things from manufacturers I normally wouldn't have been interested enough in to click on their forum. If you want to understand what I mean, check out sites like xbox-scene.com and see what they did for the console modding scene. Look at Tomshardware.com and see what they did for computer hardware. So far if you are resourceful enough you can find bits and pieces of what you're looking for. I am looking to put those pieces together. Being satisfied with what we have is what has caused the car audio industry to stagnate. I think if you all would help me, you would be happy with the results. I'm not attempting to do away with what we've got. I simply want to organize and centralize it. I'm not even trying to make any money off of it. I just want to create something for people like me who want ONE place to find the information they are looking for and find out about the new stuff that they weren't looking for. I want to have a general idea of how a product performs and a general comparison to something else. Right now, you can't get that. You have a bunch of "experts" not scientifically testing things or a someone who really doesn't have that much experience giving information that tells nothing.

I have been reviewing pc equipment for years, and with the appropriate equipment I can review car audio with no problem and in such a way you will have a much better knowledge of the product after you've read what I've written. Don't write my site off simply because you're satisfied with what we've got.

Welcome aboard, but i must say you sound way too much like a salesman for me to buy what you're selling.

I want to have a general idea of how a product performs and a general comparison to something else. Right now, you can't get that. You have a bunch of "experts" not scientifically testing things or a someone who really doesn't have that much experience giving information that tells nothing.

No offense, but the so called "experts" who frequent these forums are VERY well-respected and have earned their reputations. That is the sole reason they are where they are today. In fact, there are many more hobbyists who are more scientific with the reviews than even a manufacturer is. It's the people who truly love the hobby whom really divulge themselves within it and the community. THEY are the best people to go to when you want to know the reality.

People on these forums are not looking for a general review or comparison. If they were, they'd simply go to the local shop and ask them what they should buy.

Really, I commend you on your enthusiasm and willingness to put forth the effort to help our hobby, but with all do respect, who are you to say your reviews are better than anyone else's? We don't know you; we don't know your name; we don't know your site.

Welcome to the site, and best of luck with your venture!

Welcome aboard, but i must say you sound way too much like a salesman for me to buy what you're selling.

Well I guess it's fortunate for us all that I'm not selling anything.

Also, I feel pretty good about what you said. It means I was articulate. I am disappointed that how I said what I said might turn people away from what I'm trying to do. All I want is for people to help me receive the information I'm looking for so that it can be organized in a manner that we all can take better advantage of than the hunt and search that we have to do now.

So you're not trying to sell us on the idea of this website?

I wasn't talking about any of the manufacturers...I was talking about AudioJunkies.

I've invested a lot of time there without getting a penny and Lukas has worked very hard as well...and we are about to come out with something awesome for everyone. Our Alexa ranking jumped 600,000 spots to under 100,000 in less than three months simply through very hard work by us editors. My point was that I, personally, will be focusing on AudioJunkies well before eCrack and I figure many members who are a part of this forum would, too.

Not that there isn't room for competition, but my priorities are already pretty well ordered. :)

I want to have a general idea of how a product performs and a general comparison to something else. Right now, you can't get that. You have a bunch of "experts" not scientifically testing things or a someone who really doesn't have that much experience giving information that tells nothing.

No offense, but the so called "experts" who frequent these forums are VERY well-respected and have earned their reputations. That is the sole reason they are where they are today. In fact, there are many more hobbyists who are more scientific with the reviews than even a manufacturer is. It's the people who truly love the hobby whom really divulge themselves within it and the community. THEY are the best people to go to when you want to know the reality.

People on these forums are not looking for a general review or comparison. If they were, they'd simply go to the local shop and ask them what they should buy.

Really, I commend you on your enthusiasm and willingness to put forth the effort to help our hobby, but with all do respect, who are you to say your reviews are better than anyone else's? We don't know you; we don't know your name; we don't know your site.

Welcome to the site, and best of luck with your venture!

These people seem to be knowledgeable.

....I knew this would happen. I knew people would percieve what I have said in this way. I'm not knocking these experts. I do take issue with a lot of their testing practices. I'm sure since they are "well-respected" by you and others that you will get upset hearing someone say that. Trust me, I've been that guy before too. At the end of the day, it's not the only way to review products. How can you tell how a sub performs vs another when you do not compare them in the same vehicle in the same enclosure? The truth is... you can't. You can compare them across a range of different enclosure sizes but "the manufacturers recommended enclosure and tuning" do not give a fair and scientific comparison. In these respects, I DO know better than most. In a scientific test, you can only change 1 variable.

No you don't know me. That's because you're already refusing to give me a chance. Also, why is this about me? It's not about me. I have nothing to gain other than a central location for the information we all want. Just don't be offended by what I say. Think about it, and give me a chance.

I wasn't talking about any of the manufacturers...I was talking about AudioJunkies.

I've invested a lot of time there without getting a penny and Lukas has worked very hard as well...and we are about to come out with something awesome for everyone. Our Alexa ranking jumped 600,000 spots to under 100,000 in less than three months simply through very hard work by us editors. My point was that I, personally, will be focusing on AudioJunkies well before eCrack and I figure many members who are a part of this forum would, too.

Not that there isn't room for competition, but my priorities are already pretty well ordered. :)

Well I am not intending to compete. I am sad to hear that you will not take part in my site because you are the one here that has impressed me the most with your explanations and your understanding, although I understand that you feel the similarities between sites must mean you have to "choose sides". I understand that as I understand most people are reluctant to accept anything new. I knew before trying this that people would react this way, because if I were a loyal member of a forum I too would react that way. Hopefully SOMEONE gives me a chance, because if they do it will benefit everyone. I applaud you on your non-profit contributions. That is all I am attempting to do.

So tell us why you know better than most? I learned in elementary school that when you do an experiment you should only change one variable.

of course once i came to this little not well-respected college they taught me that was crap that you'll almost always have other variables out of your control for one reason or another.

I suppose you're talking about a big test of woofers where you get a bunch of say.... 12" woofers and then test them all in the same vehicle or vehicles with the same enclosure or enclosure....man i wish someone would have thought of that earlier. if they had they could have done it with 8s!

What type of "testing" will you be doing, eCrack?

I would call you by your first name but you introduced your site...not yourself.

And let me go ahead and say you'll find yourself received much better if you don't come in telling us how you know better than the ppl here. just because we have screennames and hide behind a computer doesn't mean that we don't know what we're doing. trust me we have people here that have more experience in audio than you, and we have people that have access to better testing supplies.

I realize i come across like an arseho, and i am, but i feel it needs to be said so that you can settle in here before everyone gets a negative opinion of you.

So tell us why you know better than most? I learned in elementary school that when you do an experiment you should only change one variable.

of course once i came to this little not well-respected college they taught me that was crap that you'll almost always have other variables out of your control for one reason or another.

I suppose you're talking about a big test of woofers where you get a bunch of say.... 12" woofers and then test them all in the same vehicle or vehicles with the same enclosure or enclosure....man i wish someone would have thought of that earlier. if they had they could have done it with 8s!

I'm not sure why you're taking such issue with what I'm saying. It is clearly the truth. If anyone ever told you it was crap then they were full of crap. I clearly explained what I meant with my previous post. Comparing two woofers in seperate boxes is not a scientific test. Conversely woofers have different displacement and other factors that make them perform differently in different enclosures. For this reason the woofers must be compared in a pre-set range of enclosures so that it can be seen how they each perform in the same environments so that a comparison can be made. So far nobody does that. I can. Since nobody has done that before I WILL take it as they have not thought of it before. I WILL take it as I know better than them.

And let me go ahead and say you'll find yourself received much better if you don't come in telling us how you know better than the ppl here. just because we have screennames and hide behind a computer doesn't mean that we don't know what we're doing. trust me we have people here that have more experience in audio than you, and we have people that have access to better testing supplies.

I realize i come across like an arseho, and i am, but i feel it needs to be said so that you can settle in here before everyone gets a negative opinion of you.

How can you say you have no idea who I am yet proclaim that there are people here with more experience than me? You are talking out both sides of your mouth. You should stop now before you look any worse.

I would call you by your first name but you introduced your site...not yourself.

My name is Blake.

The testing I will be doing on amplifiers will do the standard power tests, and since it is impossible to compare sound quality, I will compare the input signal vs the output signal. In these ways the amplifier's efficiency, maximum power output, output before clipping, and accuracy of reproduction will be represented.

Subwoofers will be tested in much the same way.

My name is Blake.

The testing I will be doing on amplifiers will do the standard power tests, and since it is impossible to compare sound quality, I will compare the input signal vs the output signal. In these ways the amplifier's efficiency, maximum power output, output before clipping, and accuracy of reproduction will be represented.

Sorry, looks like you had your name in the title of the thread and I missed it completely.

Anyways, I guess I'll be the first to say welcome Blake!

If you don't mind my asking, what measurement software and setup will you be using for subwoofer (and presumably normal speaker?) testing?

First off someone has tested woofers in that manner before, most of the ppl here already know about it.

secondly, i'm sure they have more experience than you because of the way you talk. Nothing personal but you haven't stated a single thing so far that would make me want to read a review by you. yes different woofers have different displacements, anyone should know that. Different woofers also behave differently in different enclosures so it's not very fair to test them all in the same one. yes you eliminate your one variable but since the t/s parameters are all different that's a bunch of variables that aren't eliminated.

Last, seriously telling me to stop before I look worse? High and mighty won't fly here either, you come to a place that you think is filled with people that need your new ideas of testing when it's all been done before. I assure you i don't look bad at all, though i could use a shower after hitting the gym. I am quite flattered that you're concerned for my online persona though.

My name is Blake.

Sorry, looks like you had your name in the title of the thread and I missed it completely.

If you don't mind my asking, what measurement software and setup will you be using for subwoofer (and presumably normal speaker?) testing?

I can't tell if you're quizzing me or if you want to steal my testing methodology ;) At any rate, I'm not totally sure how you knew I'd be using a pc based solution. (of course I'd need something to create the graphical displays to represent the data) but I could have simply used analog signal generators and rta's.

No graphical pc type program will do what we did with the great 12 challenge..

Where only 1 variable was changed at each interval :)

Welcome to the forum...

I want to see his temperature and humidity controlled room since he's convinced he's going to only change one variable.

First off someone has tested woofers in that manner before, most of the ppl here already know about it.

post the link

secondly, i'm sure they have more experience than you because of the way you talk. Nothing personal but you haven't stated a single thing so far that would make me want to read a review by you. yes different woofers have different displacements, anyone should know that. Different woofers also behave differently in different enclosures so it's not very fair to test them all in the same one. yes you eliminate your one variable but since the t/s parameters are all different that's a bunch of variables that aren't eliminated.

How can I prove myself when you don't give me a chance? This is an introduction... not a review. Also, you ignorantly ignored that I am not merely going to test 2 woofers in one box. Each woofer would go in a range of different boxes. Had you visited the site, you would see the subwoofer testing methodology. Unfortunately for you, you want to remain ignorant and very rude for no apparent reason.

Last, seriously telling me to stop before I look worse? High and mighty won't fly here either, you come to a place that you think is filled with people that need your new ideas of testing when it's all been done before. I assure you i don't look bad at all, though i could use a shower after hitting the gym. I am quite flattered that you're concerned for my online persona though.

Really? THen how are you still here? All you have been doing is acting high and might... like you are the gatekeeper or something. So far you just sound like an angry wannabe. Also, I'm not a bit concerned about your online personna. You're just another fanboy of the "leet" guys out there. I've seen a million just like you.

Edited by eCrack

My name is Blake.

I can't tell if you're quizzing me or if you want to steal my testing methodology ;) At any rate, I'm not totally sure how you knew I'd be using a pc based solution. (of course I'd need something to create the graphical displays to represent the data) but I could have simply used analog signal generators and rta's.

Well a pc solution offers significant advantages in terms of quick FR, impulse, THD, CSD, and IMD measurements. I don't know why anyone would bother with anything other than PC software nowadays.

So what will you be using? Do you have an anechoic chamber? What measurement method will you be using for subwoofers?

I ask out of curiosity and maybe I can contribute, too.