brent338

eD 13Av.2 Subwoofer

So have any SSA members played with this new sub?

From the reviews I have read so far, its on par with a W7 output wise... but with great SQ.

how would it compare with say a 15" Fi Q/bl or SS RL-P?

If its comparing to the W7, then my first guess would be not at all(SQ, or SPL)...right?

I have not heard any of these subs in person so its hard to make a decision....for the new build. leaning towards rlp's at the moment...

All the hype you have heard so far, is eD hype. I'd leave it be, ignore the fact that it exists and just get a driver from a real manufacturer that will actually support you in the future. No need to buy anything from Ben. :(

So have any SSA members played with this new sub?

From the reviews I have read so far, its on par with a W7 output wise... but with great SQ.

how would it compare with say a 15" Fi Q/bl or SS RL-P?

If its comparing to the W7, then my first guess would be not at all(SQ, or SPL)...right?

I have not heard any of these subs in person so its hard to make a decision....for the new build. leaning towards rlp's at the moment...

isn't everything eDuh producing on par with the w7? i mean to the point jl was going to sue them, or some shit like that? and are you assuming the new eDuh will outperform the Q, BL and RL-p based on some exteremely biased reviews from people with prototypes?

also, what's with "on par with the w7 output wise" question? w7's known for their output?? they have, nor ever been, known for their output. flat, linear response, yes. output, no.

///m5 nailed it. it's all eDuh hype, and until someone NOT associated with ICIX or eDuh themselves, gets ahold of the new woofer, one needs to refrain from making any kind of comparision with real, proven woofers and manufacturers.

lastly, you want a real w7 killer? soundsplinter rl-s. flat, linear response with real potential to get stupid loud. but even it isn't designed for that, it's just capable of it.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

You would not want me to review it. ;)

lol the eDuh sub just got shot down

i still remember the whole deal with JL possibly suing...can't believe they need to "borrow" peoples ideas to make a product and call it their own

isn't everything eDuh producing on par with the w7? i mean to the point jl was going to sue them, or some shit like that? and are you assuming the new eDuh will outperform the Q, BL and RL-p based on some exteremely biased reviews from people with prototypes?

JL was going to sue them - their early "a" basket was too close to JL's patent(s) on their W7 basket. So what happened to the original tooling and labor involved in the early "a" basket? Poof. They had to re-tool a basket to avoid JL's patent(s).

also, what's with "on par with the w7 output wise" question? w7's known for their output?? they have, nor ever been, known for their output. flat, linear response, yes. output, no.

Exactly. I don't know either. But I do love rolling up to car audio competitions and seeing other drivers completely whipping arse against W7's. The closest anyone at a competition with W7's had 2 13W7's, two 1000/1's and a host of other JL goodies...they came within 9 dB of Hoss. I.e. Hoss was 9 dB louder...with about 1/4 the cost in equipment.

///m5 nailed it. it's all eDuh hype, and until someone NOT associated with ICIX or eDuh themselves, gets ahold of the new woofer, one needs to refrain from making any kind of comparision with real, proven woofers and manufacturers.

They do have great hype...and great acronyms on their web page. ;)

*edit* Here's the Audiojunkies.com link: http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/305/jl-au...gement-concerns

They actually built the damn thing?

They've been talking about it for five years, back to when I bought my "v.1" A Series :D

I don't think there's anything wrong with the product, perse, other than that they've pushed the release date back a few times already.

Can this forum get any more biased? Whats with flaming a product that hasn't even been released yet? Get one, run it through some tests and form your own professional opinion...wouldn't that make more sense? Even if was to end up to be a great product, and perform close to the level of a great driver like the 13w7 at 1/3 of the price then thats pretty damn good imo.

As i remember the old A series flat cones were quite good and considered by some to be a benchmark SQ driver.

Can this forum get any more biased? Whats with flaming a product that hasn't even been released yet? Get one, run it through some tests and form your own professional opinion...wouldn't that make more sense? Even if was to end up to be a great product, and perform close to the level of a great driver like the 13w7 at 1/3 of the price then thats pretty damn good imo.

As i remember the old A series flat cones were quite good and considered by some to be a benchmark SQ driver.

It is not biased on the product, it is the man, the business practices and the people who follow him that are behind it. More of an issue of morals then product performance. I don't see anyone here that has any experience or knowledge of eD and their history, giving them money to test that driver, regardless of how close it comes to the ever growing mythical abilities of the JLW7.

That's a very good review of the unit. Very positive.

I followed the one link posted that explains the Eu "technology". Frankly, what was stated makes no sense whatsoever. How can they possibly claim more cone area by using a high roll surround? The general standard for measuring usable cone area is to include 1/3 the surround.

Using this methodology cone area would practically be the same, since a normal roll surround has a more progressive contour to it than a high-roll surround. When measuring a high-roll surround you gain no area since what you end up measuring is on a vertical plane. All you are left with is the cone itself.

Am I missing something here?

Sounds like some good markeneering. Something we need to learn. ;)

Good SQ driver? Sure.

Benchmark? Welllll...not so sure about that :)

I'd get an Av.2, but I'd rather buy subs from a company that doesn't ban me from their company forums without the slightest explanation as to why. Just my opinion though ;)

Wow a positive review. Obviously he was paid off by Ben and the evil forces... :lildevil:

Even though Ben runs the company i dont support him personally because i dont even know him(although ive spoken with him a few times). I do, however, support the products they(there are other great people working at ED) make because they have all worked for me flawlessly in the past as have other products from Fi, DLS, Alpine etc which ill continue to support.

I just wonder how many people here have actually used their products...ie amps, drivers, and have legitimate issues with them? By "legitimate" i mean hands on, not oh i heard from so and so on the forums blah blah blah or from my buddy so and so. If you have had problems that were handled unjustly then i agree to avoid their product as would I with any manufacture, but i would not go around flaming a company online like a teenager.

This isnt aimed at everyone in this thread. Some of you seem rather professional, while others seem to follow the typical 12v mob mentality.

Wow a positive review. Obviously he was paid off by Ben and the evil forces... :lildevil:

Even though Ben runs the company i dont support him personally because i dont even know him(although ive spoken with him a few times). I do, however, support the products they(there are other great people working at ED) make because they have all worked for me flawlessly in the past as have other products from Fi, DLS, Alpine etc which ill continue to support.

I just wonder how many people here have actually used their products...ie amps, drivers, and have legitimate issues with them? By "legitimate" i mean hands on, not oh i heard from so and so on the forums blah blah blah or from my buddy so and so. If you have had problems that were handled unjustly then i agree to avoid their product as would I with any manufacture, but i would not go around flaming a company online like a teenager.

This isnt aimed at everyone in this thread. Some of you seem rather professional, while others seem to follow the typical 12v mob mentality.

I have personal, hands on experience with their eDead V1SE. Also, I have personal, hands on experience of finding pieces of it that have fallen off in my trunk every summer. And let's not forget the personal, hands on experience of trying to remove the pieces that fall off in my doors and clog up the window mechanisms.

By far, the worst car-related purchase I've ever made.

I have personal, hands on experience with their eDead V1SE. Also, I have personal, hands on experience of finding pieces of it that have fallen off in my trunk every summer. And let's not forget the personal, hands on experience of trying to remove the pieces that fall off in my doors and clog up the window mechanisms.

By far, the worst car-related purchase I've ever made.

Sorry to hear that. Ive applied eDead in three different vehicles over the last 2 years and never seen anything similar. Again, anyone with any experience with their hardware here?

I never owned an eD product. I almost did, because of the seemingly endless hype (this was probably 2002), and I believe it was josh laine or ramos or Zane (one of the original old audio forum guys) that showed me plenty of reasons why not to. Then I started following what was going on and saw that it continued, and since have seen people like Jim and Tom (SSA staff) effected by it.

I never owned an eD product. I almost did, because of the seemingly endless hype (this was probably 2002), and I believe it was josh laine or ramos or Zane (one of the original old audio forum guys) that showed me plenty of reasons why not to. Then I started following what was going on and saw that it continued, and since have seen people like Jim and Tom (SSA staff) effected by it.

Sounds kinda of vague. Could you please elaborate more on some of these "reasons" and how it "effected" others then yourself since you never owned any of their products? This was 6 years ago correct? Im honestly interested and hope im not coming off as smug. Thanks.

Sounds kinda of vague. Could you please elaborate more on some of these "reasons" and how it "effected" others then yourself since you never owned any of their products? This was 6 years ago correct? Im honestly interested and hope im not coming off as smug. Thanks.

The time when I considered an eD product matters not, it is the steady events since. There are plenty I am sure people can add to the list, but pre-orders with out the product confirmed, excuses like the shipment is still on the boat months later, cone failures (enough to see it is not customer abuse), the excessive hype, the tangband lies and design ordeal, the hiding of any customer concerns or complaints on ICIX (I have long since stopped reading there due to that), possible JL lawsuit, etc etc.

I am not bad mouthing them, just stating what has occured and why I have stayed away. As I stated before, it is not the product, it is the people behind it. And to buy that product, it is supporting those people and their actions. If a small driver company, SoundSplinter for example, had all this happen, Mike would have long since been out of business, or been sitting on a huge level of unsold stock.

That's a very good review of the unit. Very positive.

I followed the one link posted that explains the Eu "technology". Frankly, what was stated makes no sense whatsoever. How can they possibly claim more cone area by using a high roll surround? The general standard for measuring usable cone area is to include 1/3 the surround.

Using this methodology cone area would practically be the same, since a normal roll surround has a more progressive contour to it than a high-roll surround. When measuring a high-roll surround you gain no area since what you end up measuring is on a vertical plane. All you are left with is the cone itself.

Am I missing something here?

The compliance of the high-roll surrounds isn't great either, in my opinion. Of course, it's not really their technology.

All the problems they've been through don't matter to me, but when I read the descriptions on their website...my stomach just turns.

Not everyone has to be inventive or ingenious, but they do have to be honest....

Why don't you buy one of his defective products, try to get some response for your troubles and in classic fashion get none and then say the same thing. No one here was "biased" any more so than the original review. Obviously brand boner people will review it positively and those of us that have had bad experiences with Ben will choose to say whether it is good or not it isn't worth doing business with him. The only bias here is to work with manufacturers that will actually support their product and not lie about them. :(

The only bias here is to work with manufacturers that will actually support their product and not lie about them. :(

True.