brent338

eD 13Av.2 Subwoofer

Damn that thing is ugly.

What I thought...

I guess my interpretation of the Klippel data is a bit different.

Yes, this is an underhung driver...the top plate is a sure giveaway. However, I don't think the BL plot is as linear as several other underhung drivers I've seen measured. That type of BL linearity is easily realized in many overhung drivers. Now, that wouldn't be such a big deal, but the inductance is higher than I had anticipated and very non-linear. This is manageable with the right low-pass filter, but still...not quite what I hoped. A bigger problem: coil offset is 5-6mm in the coil out direction; that isn't horrible, but it isn't particularly good either, especially when that's ~20% of Xmag.

Suspension linearity is impressive and very well done on their part. It might be better if there was less compliance (more stiffness) at the outer edges of the stroke, but this driver doesn't really have the motor to use it anyways.

I agree that it comes reasonably close to spec in all respects and is, indeed, a subwoofer designed for low frequency output.

In terms of sheer linearity, it does not approach the W7. But it is still a pretty decent subwoofer and even better if the coil offset was smaller (which could be a problem with this one particular driver, or a consistency problem across all of their drivers).

BL doesn't look as flat as it could be for an underhung. I'd take an Exodus Audio ShivaX over the 13Av.2

Aren't the ShivaXs only D8 VC subs with only about 600 rms rating? Kinda different sub all together...

may be 600 watts but may be more efficient. I'd still take the XBL^2 ShivaX over the 13Av.2.

From that review...distortion is high after 40Hz, induction is high...after seeing those test results seems like a half assed driver...I'd buy one for HT use though for the low end. But for music I like to cross over rather high

Ill prob cross mine over around 60-70hz. Dunno the review seems pretty positive to me, but everyone reads numbers differently. I wish they did a test on music as well and reviewed how it actually sounds.

Ill prob cross mine over around 60-70hz. Dunno the review seems pretty positive to me, but everyone reads numbers differently. I wish they did a test on music as well and reviewed how it actually sounds.

I'm in the market for a sub myself; but know diddly about numbers. What numbers do I need to look for and how do I interpret them in determining whether or not this will be a good choice for a sub?

I'm in the market for a sub myself; but know diddly about numbers. What numbers do I need to look for and how do I interpret them in determining whether or not this will be a good choice for a sub?

Not something you can answer easily; however, I would highly encourage you to buy something from a reputable company instead of eD anyways. The best thing you could do to help your choice is start a thread on here and describe what sort of bass you are looking for.

BL doesn't look as flat as it could be for an underhung. I'd take an Exodus Audio ShivaX over the 13Av.2

Curious. Do you think you will be able to tell the difference between the BL figures by listening to the two drivers?

Best,

Mark

Curious. Do you think you will be able to tell the difference between the BL figures by listening to the two drivers?

Best,

Mark

nope...but shouldn't the BL curve look better for an underhung driver like this??

Thought id update this with a small review. Ive had the 13av.2 for about 2+ weeks installed now and im really loving it. I swapped out my Nine.1 for a SAZ 1500d(which i love as well) and its a perfect match for this sub. My box is about ~2cuft tuned to 31hz, weighing some 70+lbs with double baffle and flush mounting which makes for a perfect home for the 60lb beast. The lows on this sub are just freakish...it seems more like a 15 or 18" driver in the sub 40hz region and plays crystal clear. It isnt a SPL sub by any means but was never meant to be, but gets rather loud regardless. If you are looking for LOW and i mean LOW bass with authority then this is the driver for you. Having a beefy front stage helps a great deal as well because you are going to want to cross this driver over pretty low. If you are looking for a SPL sub to peak in the upper 40s or 50hz range this isnt what you want to get.

Well there is my small review. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask away. I need to post a small review of my 1500d here as well. This amp is extremely nice, and im glad i decided to swap for it. :D