Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Wiring 3 subs together

I am not trying to make this complicated but from what i've been told in the past, you never want to wire 2 different speakers together of different resistance. Conclusion would be one sub would get more power than the other.

"If" that's true, then doesn't that mean-

For 3 Dual 2 ohm subs, if they were all wired in parallel, wouldnt one of the 3 subs receive less power than the other 2?

My thinking - take all 3 subs, wired in parallel - 3 1 ohm coils left. parallel those, 1 0.5 ohm coil and 1 1 ohm coil, 1 ohm coil receive less power, correct?

If this is true, if i want a 3 sub combination off of 1 amp at a 1ohm load, would i need 2 dual 2s and 1 dual 1 version?

Wiring -

wire both dual 2ohms in parallel-series resulting in a final 2 ohm load.

wire the dual 1 ohm in series to also receive a 2 ohm load.

Parallel these two connections to achieve 1 ohm.

Is this necessary?

I know that different voice coil configs have different properties but if they were all in a common chamber, i still shouldnt hear a difference if that's what i have to do, correct?

I am not trying to make this complicated but from what i've been told in the past, you never want to wire 2 different speakers together of different resistance. Conclusion would be one sub would get more power than the other.

For 3 Dual 2 ohm subs, if they were all wired in parallel, wouldnt one of the 3 subs receive less power than the other 2?

My thinking - take all 3 subs, wired in parallel - 3 1 ohm coils left. parallel those, 1 0.5 ohm coil and 1 1 ohm coil, 1 ohm coil receive less power, correct?

If this is true, if i want a 3 sub combination off of 1 amp at a 1ohm load, would i need 2 dual 2s and 1 dual 1 version?

Wiring -

Is this necessary?

I know that different voice coil configs have different properties but if they were all in a common chamber, i still shouldnt hear a difference if that's what i have to do, correct?

3x single 4 ohm=1.5 ohms

Wiring -

Is this necessary?

3x single 4 ohm=1.5 ohms

Incorrect.

A trio of DVC2 ohm subs can be wired to 0.333, 1.333, 3, or 12 ohms.

You do not want to use subs with difference VC configs

I'm not getting how you figured the 1) .5ohm coil and the 1) 1ohm coil. The way you figured it, you would have 3) subs each presenting a 1ohm load, or 3) 1ohm coils. Your system would not break down into 1) .5 and 1) 1ohm coils, since you are working in numbers of three.

Your 3) 2ohm DVC subs, all coils paralleled, would present a .333ohm load. If you are looking for a 1 ohm total load, then do as shizzzon has said; series each sub for 3) 4ohm loads, and parallel those subs for a 1.5 ohm total load.

Edit:

Scratch that, Acidburn> me; the load would be 1.3ohms.

Edited by danssoslow

when you have 3 1 ohm coils left, when you start wiring all of them in parallel, the first two that are wired in parallel = 0.5 ohms leaving the last coil still at 1 ohm before it joins with the 0.5 load.

so, ok, i was wrong...

Well... thanks for the not-so-complicated explanation, hehe.

I am looking at the Fi Qs, DCR is exactly 1.5. per sub.

All 3 subs in series is 3 ohms each, 3 3ohm loads all wired in parallel results in an exact 1 ohm load.

That's nifty.

Now i gotta decide whether i wanna run 3 of them or 4...

Edited by shizzzon

when you have 3 1 ohm coils left, when you start wiring all of them in parallel, the first two that are wired in parallel = 0.5 ohms leaving the last coil still at 1 ohm before it joins with the 0.5 load.

so, ok, i was wrong...

Well... thanks for the not-so-complicated explanation, hehe.

I am looking at the Fi Qs, DCR is exactly 1.5. per sub.

All 3 subs in series is 3 ohms each, 3 3ohm loads all wired in parallel results in an exact 1 ohm load.

That's nifty.

Now i gotta decide whether i wanna run 3 of them or 4...

With 4 subs-series coils/ paralleled subs, you are looking at .75ohm total load.

i know my bls. are not 1 ohm there acctualy 0.70 ohms/////

DCR sure, not impedance.

Then, if you are porting, you have impedance rise and so forth.

you have impedance rise regardless of box design.

I'll probably do what someone above said, get 3 dual 2s all in series, then parallel remaining connections.

Only debate left is - final load is 0.98 ohms at rest, wondering what is going to make more power, a Lanzar 4000d or a sundown 3000D after rise...