brokeitagain

Kicker L7's

I have got two '08 L7 12'' coming in tomorrow. I have i built an enclosure that is 4.6 cubes after sub and port displacement, the port is 14.5''H, 4.5''W, and 17 inches deep. i figured the tuning to be about 37-39 Hz is this correct?

Did i build a proper sub enclosure for these two? I am pretty sure that i am above the minimum airspace requirement for two of these drivers. i want it to get pretty damn loud but still be musical, i plan on using this for daily as well as a few of the local shows around here this year

I dont want to roll up to these shows looking like i havent got a clue(because i dont). At first im gonna be running the pair on 1000 watts RMS, but when i get my taxes back i am buying a Kicker 2500.1, or two 1500.1's. I think that the second amp option is going to be the best way as i have dual 4 ohm subs.

I'm running two of these "older models", and yeah the can get a little loud, but not too musical...imo.

If you have two dual 4's then I'd opt for the 2500.1, as they can be wired to 1 ohm.... see the12volt.com for wiring diagrams. I think you have the airspace about right, offhand....

just fyi, I hit 146db...with those older models, on old meter and an MTX 2300 old school!

maybe 750rms max....

as far as the "local shows" thing...imo you could a done better with any of the sub manf. featured on this forum.

i know that there are better sub choices out there, but i am looking for something a bit better than Memphis M3's.

The kx 2500.1 may or may not run at 1 ohm, i know that the 1500 will do 2 ohms easiy

i believe you'll do just fine. L7s are better subs then most people online will give them credit for. and size for size, very few can compete with an L7 for sheer output. sq? that's in the ears of the beholder. are there better subs from manufacturers here? you bet. but the L7 can hold it's own against all but the every best output wise, and again, sq is up to each individual. i personally don't think L7s sound bad till one puts them in an overlarge box with very low tuning. then they get muddy as hell on fast stuff, but they will sure "boom like so". go smaller box, higher tuning, they tighten up, still get to the lows and IMO, sound fairly damn decent.

your current enclosure should do fine for those local shows you're talking about. and for everyday listening, you might miss some of the lowest notes with tuning that high, but then again, L7s like to be tuned high.

i also believe you have the amp situation figured out as well. you'll be better off running the pair of 1500s vs the 2500 IMO. one is you'll end up with more power and second, and this isn't always the case but i've seen it to be true from testing, two smaller amps can be more efficient then one larger one. and again, in your case, produce more power.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

well i got them in..... I fail at building boxes,it sounds horrible after a couple hours tuning it sounds like ass. So i guess that means another trip to lowes for another sheet of MDF and try to fail again

Do or Do Not, There is No Try.

Kicker's manual states if you are looking for low bass, you need 3.25 cu ft PER sub. That's 6.5 for your pair plus sub displacement, port displacement and wood thickness. Do you have about 8-9 cubes of space available?

If so, you gonna need more than 1 sheet.

But thats not what i am after, i need more of a middle ground. i have read the manual i know what kicker says, i think im going to try the larger recommended sealed enclosure. I mean its only wood right.

Now this thing can get loud as hell now. I know its way louder than the Memphis M3's i have, and they dont make all the mechanical noises like the M3's did. i had replaced the diaphrams several times on those chitty subs even at low excursions ths coil would hit the motor and start to unwind one pair did it after 10 mins of relatively easy playing. and at a little over $100 a pop i am tired of fixing them.I have 5 pairs of diaphrams that are just slightly damaged from this they still play, and still test good.

/rant

i can't say that I enjoyed the L7 sealed.

If all else fails there are a lot of pre-fab boxes designed for slot ported dual L7 alignments...just make sure you buy a high quality one. Might save you some money in the long run...unfortunately you won't be able to experience the fun of building it yourself. Whatever you end up doing be sure to post some pics! Good luck!

i think it sounds like crap cause your small amp. you said you have a 1000 watts on two of them?

what kinda amp is it... is it even a true 1000 watts?