SpeakerBoy

I need help powering the BEAST

well to start off, i have two 12's bumpin off a 2 chan. 350w visonik amp @ 4ohms i know it isnt much, but in order to get the 800w mtx i am lookin at i need something that wont clip out at medium power... please help me out here i need something to bump with til i can get a car (only 2 years!!)

Do youhave a budget?

i dont understand what u mean by clip out at medium power?

Nothing should "clip" until you reach a power level higher than what you set it up for.

IF you use an o-scope and setup your amp and it's set at let's say vol. 26. Once all tested frequencies are setup and do not clip... then as long as you do not change any settings and do not exceed vol 26 in this example, nothing will\should clip.

yes i have a budget, around $150

i dont understand what u mean by clip out at medium power?

Nothing should "clip" until you reach a power level higher than what you set it up for.

IF you use an o-scope and setup your amp and it's set at let's say vol. 26. Once all tested frequencies are setup and do not clip... then as long as you do not change any settings and do not exceed vol 26 in this example, nothing will\should clip.

i have one vice, that is spl... i cant stand soft bass it has to really hit so of course i just put gain at 8v and vol on pc at max and at that point, it isnt the amp's fault, it is the amount of amperage i have going to it. (one 4 amp box and three 1 amp plugs) when my bro (big into audio) tells me i need upwards of 250 amps. i tested this with my friends dad's car batt. and well, it works but MY dad is so paranoid about acid and the floor, that he says it has to be a power supply or no go. so thats my problem. hope that isnt TOO confusing lemme know whatcha think

hope that isnt TOO confusing lemme know whatcha think

I think it sounds like a fire in the making.

hope that isnt TOO confusing lemme know whatcha think

I think it sounds like a fire in the making.

i certainly hope not....

hey wait a tick!! i digress!! i am lookin for a home-oriented battery/high amperage power supply not a new amp... around 20-30 amps would suffice i guess but nothing over $50

That will be very hard to find a DC power supply that's worth it for that amperage for under $50. I picked up a used Astron 20A continous supply, but it's pretty rough cosmetically and it wasn't under $50 IIRC.

I'm sure your parents would just appreciate it if you just got a good pair of headphones :(

Power supplies are not cheap. You can find jumper packs for around $25, two might work for a while. They charge slow though if you use what comes with them. But they are sealed battery inside, so should be fine in the house. They would be ok if you don't keep it hammered for a long time. Even then it is hard to power DC amps on AC, and large amps take a pile of power. I sold a kenwood 900wrms for ~$100, they go for that all the time and it was class D. They take less power. I imagine if you want more amp you could get around a 1Kw for that if you shop for a while.

That will be very hard to find a DC power supply that's worth it for that amperage for under $50. I picked up a used Astron 20A continous supply, but it's pretty rough cosmetically and it wasn't under $50 IIRC.

I'm sure your parents would just appreciate it if you just got a good pair of headphones :(

so i've been told lol

Just buy a 2.1 computer speaker setup or Home stereo system.

*gasp* generic name-brand stereo?!

dammit i messed up the edit.. lol look at the next one

Edited by bigtoepfer

I have a 12" home audio sub with a 150 watt amp on it "supposedly 500 watt". When it was in my dorm room it would cause u to not be able to swallow. Similar to the feeling u get when ur in a car with a loud stereo. It was bad ass. And i only spent $150 on it.

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?bra...8&spkrID=26

Not to mention it sounds awesome too.

*gasp* generic name-brand stereo?!

And you're telling me the results you're getting other than subbass are much better than that? :)