Sign in to follow this  
jonbearsmt

voltage display?

ok i wanna get my crap togather im think im gonnna make a few more runs of 0 gauge i currenty have a cigg lighter plug in volt display, but its very off! to say the least. i was looking at a few displays and wondering what yall use,

i was looking at this model

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stinger-Digital-Blue-V...1QQcmdZViewItem

anyone know where i can pick one up either cheaper. or the same price just better?

also.. should i run one to the rear cells, to watch there and then another for my starting cell? just to keep a eye on my system?

you don't need to keep an eye on it like that all the time.

That'd be like having a voltmeter for your regulator on the dash all the time just in that rare instance it went out...

See if you can find a Cadence FH-8, or i also know Rockford made or still makes one but anyways, try and find you a SMART fuse block. What they do is they have a voltage selector on the block itself. I own 2 Cadence FH-8s. You can set it for 12.5, 12.0, 11.5v. IF the voltage running through this block drops below it's setting, the block will immediately prohibit power from flowing through itself until voltage raises above threshold. If it dips for split seconds, then the block will shut off for split seconds. The Cadence i know is very fast and responsive.

ok but tell me this... when it cuts off... and then turns back on... will it turn it on fast or slow rising the power. what im saying is.. i dont want my subs to lose all power and then get slamed with 3000 watts

there is no gradual rise in power.

You shouldnt be worried. I had it cut off only one time and that is because i was runnin about 1500w off of stock battery with the car off.

Now, if you were driving (car on), again, a quick, rare instance that the voltage may dip too low would be just like a cd reading over a scratch.

It would pause for a quick instance then start playing again.

I use mine for safety of the class d amps. Even if they "claim" there is low voltage protection on the amp, it's like having an extra fuse there just in case.

Edited by shizzzon

I'm also looking for one and curious to see what other people are using. As far as the Stinger model goes big, i've seen others for cheaper and would probably go that route. Kinda wish i knew what was actually needed spec wise out of one of these things so i could try and compare brand "A" against brand "B". Oh well, if you grab it let me know how you like it :P

i was also intrested in an amp meter, to see how many amps were being pulled at any time,. but maybe im over thinking it,...

ok i bought this one

my next question is, where should i run the wires to? should i run them to my h/u power, to my rear power cells, or to the amp power inputs, i want to keep an eye on my power, so i dont over heat or starve my amp,

thanks

i run a stinger voltage meter in my car and i look at it ALL the time. my HU has a voltage meter on it but i got tired of only having the voltage display and not being able to see the head units displays.

imo they are worth the price of them. they are kinda bulky and would require some work for a nice flush mount. but i managed to put mine in a good location.

100_0646.jpg

it comes with 3 wires. so wiring is easy. i used an automotive relay for mine as to raise the remote voltage coming out of my H.U. as it's hooked up to a lot of units. anyways here's a little diagram of how min e is run.

Relay-1.jpg

oh and since i located mine right next to my cigarette lighter i just grounded it directly to it. but i ran a power wire directly from the battery.

ok i bought this one

my next question is, where should i run the wires to? should i run them to my h/u power, to my rear power cells, or to the amp power inputs, i want to keep an eye on my power, so i dont over heat or starve my amp,

thanks

amp inputs would show you exactly how much voltage the amps are seeing

i run a stinger voltage meter in my car and i look at it ALL the time. my HU has a voltage meter on it but i got tired of only having the voltage display and not being able to see the head units displays.

imo they are worth the price of them. they are kinda bulky and would require some work for a nice flush mount. but i managed to put mine in a good location.

100_0646.jpg

it comes with 3 wires. so wiring is easy. i used an automotive relay for mine as to raise the remote voltage coming out of my H.U. as it's hooked up to a lot of units. anyways here's a little diagram of how min e is run.

Relay-1.jpg

oh and since i located mine right next to my cigarette lighter i just grounded it directly to it. but i ran a power wire directly from the battery.

ok i think i got it, the three wires will be of course ground, constant, and switchable,

i run nothing off my h/u remote, so maybe i run my switchable to my h/u remote, ground to ground of course and then last but not least, you said you ran your constant to your rear cell? and it works fine for you?

Edited by bigjon

ok i bought this one

thanks

so you would run yours stright to the amp power inputs?

100_0646.jpg

Relay-1.jpg

ok i think i got it, the three wires will be of course ground, constant, and switchable,

i run nothing off my h/u remote, so maybe i run my switchable to my h/u remote, ground to ground of course and then last but not least, you said you ran your constant to your rear cell? and it works fine for you?

yep. just fuse the wire though. i have a 16ga wire running from the side post from my rear red top with a 1amp inline fuse that runs along the power wire all the way up to the front to the dash. all the amp connections are made on the top post. i used the side post for an unstrained power source in a matter of speaking. to this day i have never had any issues with the meter. it's just a little extra run of a small power wire but i would rather have a direct power source instead of a line from a splice in the run of power wire.

10-4 i hear that, cool then thats what i will do.. today i took apart my dash to see a good spot to mount it i know the listing said its flush mountable but i see its a little bulky in yours,... i have seen others being bulky aswell ill wait for the part in the mail to make any cuts!, thanks SSA brothers

oh yeah, forgot to mention the 2 sided sticky tape sucks that comes with it. just go to home depot and pic up some of the 3M outdoor high strenght 2 sided tape. it cost like 3.50. it'll save you from creating any cosmetic damage and the tape should never let go. chit mines never come off. lol, just be sure to clean the surface with alcohol before mounting.

sweet check it out... my chick just walked in the door and guess what wasin her hand.. a USPS box it is my meter, i seen it came with tape, but im not gonna use that,. i think VHP tape is what your talking about FBi i will still have to drill a hole for the wires, , there is an adjustment on the meter, any words about that?

just take a multi meter and hook it up to the source. tweek the little adjustment meter to set the meter to the correct voltage. like if your voltage sits at 14.2 on a multi meter and the meter sits at 13.8, just tweek it to match the multi meter. basically to find the balance.

Edited by fbi90909

just take a multi meter and hook it up to the source. tweek the little adjustment meter to set the meter to the correct voltage. like if your voltage sits at 14.2 on a multi meter and the meter sits at 13.8, just tweek it to match the multi meter. basically to find the balance.

sweet, sounds like i have a full weekend, gotta put the meter in and three 300 amp breakers, and im gonna put in a new saz 3000 YYEYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

damn, sounds like a project. i couldn't wait till the weekend i'd probrably start right now or after work tomorrow.

i'm going to be retrofitting a pair of projectors headlights i got with better projectors hopefully this weekend if they arrive on friday. i'm anxious like a mofo. :(

ok i bought this one

thanks

so you would run yours stright to the amp power inputs?

yes

ok i wanna get my crap togather im think im gonnna make a few more runs of 0 gauge i currenty have a cigg lighter plug in volt display, but its very off! to say the least. i was looking at a few displays and wondering what yall use,

i was looking at this model

anyone know where i can pick one up either cheaper. or the same price just better?

also.. should i run one to the rear cells, to watch there and then another for my starting cell? just to keep a eye on my system?

What is your thought about producing power from solar panels?

Hi 5 year old thread.

I run my stinger from the power, ground and remote directly at the amp. I also have one built in my Radar detector up front but I mainly watch the stinger while demoing.

wow. just wow,

and this was three builds ago for me, i now run a 8 gauge power wire from my rear battery bank to the front for my stinger meter,.