boardpile

4 atlas 12's - need a little help wiring

I have 4 atlas 12's that i am putting in my living room in 2 seperate sealed boxes. Wiring a pair together what would my final imp. be? I'm going to use a pro amp that puts out max power at 2 ohms but still cranks out the juice at 4 ohm as well. I'm kinda lost with this 4/2 ohm coil configuration. I also would like know what size box would be right too. I know there is a low, mid and high qts settings, does that relate to the 2 ohm coil being open, shorted or adding a resistor? If i shorted the 2 ohm coils and wired the 4 ohm coils in parallel would i achieve a four ohm load using two subs? If i did this to the other 2 subs and then parelleled them together as four would i have a 2 ohm load for all four? I'm jonesin' for bass........please help a guy out!!

ok the atlas is only svc4ohm the gold terminals are only used for adjusting the qts. DO NOT PUT POWER TO THE GOLD TERMINALS. doing that will fry the VC. just hook up power to the silver VC t will be 4ohm well around that mine were 3.1ohms, anyway though the gold terminals only adjust the qts if you need specs i have ts specs for the atlas 15 for all three qts configurations if you need them.

if your pro amp is 2 channel, take each pair of subs and parallel them and run them to 1 channel.

If you rpro amp is only 1 channel, you will have to wire them at 4 ohms which is parallel each pair of subs again, you will be left with one + and one - from each box, take the + form box "A" and splice it into the - from box "B". Take take the remainder - form box "A" and + form box "B" and run that to your pro amp(again do this method only if one channel.)

Your final impedence load is going to be either 1 ohm or 4 ohm... I have a similar setup with 4 Assasins, but they are in the same box. Nonetheless, run both boxes in parallel (2 ohms) then run the boxes together in series for 4 ohms. Any pics? What's the amp model?

Your final impedence load is going to be either 1 ohm or 4 ohm... I have a similar setup with 4 Assasins, but they are in the same box. Nonetheless, run both boxes in parallel (2 ohms) then run the boxes together in series for 4 ohms. Any pics? What's the amp model?

I'm going to wire them up for a 2 ohm load and use a behringer ep2500 or a qsc rmx 1450 (two channel,not mono).As far as box size goes, is 1.25 cf a good size or would i get more low end output with a little bigger box, maybe 1.75-2cf? i also picked up a new atlas 15 but i am making a vented box for it and putting it in my home theater room. 5 new subs (still in original shipping boxes) for $200, couldn't pass that up!! What pictures would you like to see, the subs or the build?

You could wire each sub in series, the 2ohm and the 4ohm coils, for a 6ohm load; then parallel each set for a 3ohm load per channel.

You could wire each sub in series, the 2ohm and the 4ohm coils, for a 6ohm load; then parallel each set for a 3ohm load per channel.

Would that be the low qts setting, using both coils?

not to get overly complicated but with a pair you can also series the two 2ohm coils and then put them in parallel with the other 2 4ohm coils to get a 1.3333 ohm load. Do this to both pairs then wiring these in series would give you 2.66ohm

Definately something to consider. The Behringer and the Qsc amps Distortion levels are .1% at four ohm stereo and 1% at two ohm stereo. Not to sure if its that audible , but something to consider.

the atlas is not like that, the 2ohm VC will not change the other VC impedance. i know i tried and it did not work, granted doing that will change how impedance rise affects the sub but overall impedance will not change. genrally speaking high qts sound and get lower in sealed boxes compared to low qts. i tried this with my 15's in 2.3cf sealed boxes with the low qts the sub seemed louder had better low end, when i tried the low qts the sub was very punchy and tight and did not have the low end compared to the high qts. i say try both and see which you like more.

the atlas is not like that, the 2ohm VC will not change the other VC impedance. i know i tried and it did not work, granted doing that will change how impedance rise affects the sub but overall impedance will not change. genrally speaking high qts sound and get lower in sealed boxes compared to low qts. i tried this with my 15's in 2.3cf sealed boxes with the low qts the sub seemed louder had better low end, when i tried the low qts the sub was very punchy and tight and did not have the low end compared to the high qts. i say try both and see which you like more.

the 2ohm voice coil WILL affect the over all impedance.

im sorry but it does not affect the impedance, i tried. i hooked a dmm up it read 3.1 with the gold terminals open then i ran a jumper wire across the gold terminals and the impedance did not change.

he's not talking about running a jumper across the gold terminals.

danssoslow is talking about running the pair in series.

he's not talking about running a jumper across the gold terminals.

danssoslow is talking about running the pair in series.

he is? then where is he getting the 6ohm load from since the atlas is svc4?

because the other coil is 2ohm

2ohm+4ohm in series is a 6ohm load

because the other coil is 2ohm

2ohm+4ohm in series is a 6ohm load

ok i'll just agree, since i have no clue how your getting 6ohms from a svc4 sub.

edit: i guess i'll explain why i don't get it. the atlas is svc4 right, the gold terminals do not affect impedance so 1 atlas is allways 4ohms no matter how the gold terminals are. so if you wire 2 atlas is serires thats an 8ohm load in parrallel its 2ohm am i right? so i guess im trying to figure out where the 6ohms is coming from.

Edited by dustin

It's alright, i'm sure other ppl will be confused too.

the 4ohm coil is the silver terminals.

what do you think the gold terminals are? that's the 2ohm coil.

It's alright, i'm sure other ppl will be confused too.

the 4ohm coil is the silver terminals.

what do you think the gold terminals are? that's the 2ohm coil.

first edited previous post. yes i know the gold are 2ohms and adjust the qts from high-mid-low, but if you wire the gold terminals in serires, with a jumper wire it does not affect the silver terminals ohms.

Yes it does, you must have wired yours incorrectly if you saw no change on the DMM. i ran mine at 3ohm (a pair with each wired to 6 then paralled) and i also ran it with the 1.33ohm that i previously mentioned.

2nd post at this link... from chad the owner at the time ascendant was selling the original atlases

http://forum.carstereos.org/couple-qyestio...03.html?t=46203

post here from Mr. Fi. even though it's confirming the 1.33 if what you are saying is true and the gold coil can't affect impedance 1.33 is just as impossible.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=12007

Definately something to consider. The Behringer and the Qsc amps Distortion levels are .1% at four ohm stereo and 1% at two ohm stereo. Not to sure if its that audible , but something to consider.

Totally inaudible.

Although I would choose the QSC over the Behringer for other reasons...

Yes it does, you must have wired yours incorrectly if you saw no change on the DMM. i ran mine at 3ohm (a pair with each wired to 6 then paralled) and i also ran it with the 1.33ohm that i previously mentioned.

2nd post at this link... from chad the owner at the time ascendant was selling the original atlases

http://forum.carstereos.org/couple-qyestio...03.html?t=46203

post here from Mr. Fi. even though it's confirming the 1.33 if what you are saying is true and the gold coil can't affect impedance 1.33 is just as impossible.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=12007

i see, your talking about 2 atlas's and wire the gold terminals to the other subs gold terminals right? im talking about just 1 atlas and wire the gold terminal to itself.

lmfao ok lets try this one last time.

the atlas is listed as a SVC sub but it is not a SVC sub.

(why? because the 2ohm coil is much smaller than the 4ohm coil and not able to be powered directly, this would result in very low power handling. The 2ohm coil is there to adject the QTS but also to allow for multiple wiring options. On top of the the 2ohm coil being not as beefy it's also 2ohm, so if you were to wire it in parallel with the 4ohm coil it's going to see a LOT more power than the 4ohm.)

back to the explanation. The color of the terminals can mean jack at this point. no matter why that 2ohm coil is there, it's still a 2ohm coil. If you take a dual 2ohm sub and wire them in series, what do you get? if you wire the 2 and 4 in series it works exactly the same way. there is nothing "special" about the 2ohm coil that would cause it to not affect impedance. it is still a wire wrapped around the former.

another link...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13041309

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-52331.html

That isn't how you wire coils in series. That is just shorting the coil.

That isn't how you wire coils in series. That is just shorting the coil.

then how do you wire 1 atlas is series?