///M5

Time for a home gym

We have done a little shopping, but are still in the what should we get for our lifestyle questioning portion. First and foremost, her goals are to keep off a little flab and have a way of staying in cardio shape. My goals are to be healthy. I don't care about muscle mass, fat, strength or anything other than being healthy (I realize I have to care about those to be healthy, but I am not in this for anyone else just myself--sort of like my stereo, it is for me ;) ).

We are looking at both some Cardio and Weight training to try and do this in a well rounded way.

Cardio:

Basically, she used to run cross country and this started out as a quest to buy a treadmill. After some discussion, I brought up the fact that my knees are pretty torn up and it would be hard on me. Also, being female she wants to tone the back portion of her arms which an elliptical will allow her to do.

Of course, the difficulty is that I am 6'7" and she is 5'7". We tested out an Octane Q47 which we both seemed to fit on, but haven't seen any others locally that work for me. On the Life Fitness model with adjustable stride, my knees hit the bars when I use it :(

http://home.octanefitness.com/products/ser....cfm?ITEM_ID=13

--anyone with other model recommendations I would highly listen to as I am not excited to spend $3500 on a machine that simulates walk/run exercise although in our climate it may be necessary

Muscle:

We also had a demo of the Hoist V6 machine and were thoroughly impressed; however, I have never once lifted weights in my life. I feel I am at the age where I should really focus on getting healthy, luckily I have a good diet but the exercise portion better start now before my body gets older. The disadvantage of this machine seems to be its $2699 retail, although they were pretty quick to give us $1600 off with the price of the elliptical.

http://www.hoistfitness.com/products/consu...c=1&pid=426

Q's:

- Are these cable type machines really worthy? ie can you get a real workout on one and is it a viable solution?

- Is there something that should be added to the machine to make the workout better?

- Any resources describing how best to use one of these?

- Should I look at something else altogether, or are there other brands that I should look for?

I really appreciate the help. Out of all people I thought I would be the last to use this section, but I am actually looking forward to bettering my body.

I can touch on a few things that work well for me at my gym although I'm not sure if they will apply to you (being older and all) ;)

First off, Elliptical machines kick my ass every time I'm on them.. so that must be good sign. They have me breathing hard and my heart rate up in the 150's whenever I get off. The down side to these is the ones in the gym are really nice. I looked them up once and they are well over $2k. I'll try to grab a few model numbers for you later today when I go.

Secondly for cable machines.. I never noticed a great over all toning or mass builder from them, except for really specific areas. The movement on the cables and the pulleys make it so you're not actually pulling down say 40lb's. It's usually less. You can compensate, but either way its giving you a weird workout. I'm not sure what your goals are for your muscles. But a simple regime of crunches, situps, pullups, pushups and the like may do things for you that will make you sorry you spent money on the cable machine. The Hoist V6 looks ok, but you probably will want something with moveable outriggers where the handles are to let you mess with the angles rather than just sliding them up and down.

Sean, I am not the best person to speak on home gym's. All we have had were elliptical's or bikes and an excercise ball. Never had the loot to get something of the nature you are after. I have used a few friend's machines, but none ever felt like it could hold up to the strain I would put on it, or they did not provide the amount of weight or resistance I needed.

I do suggest a large excercise ball, and looking into a set of the select-a-weight dumbells. Many movements can be accomplished with those two combined.

As for cable machines, I used them everyday at the gym, and have seen great results from them. I want to learn more on machines like the bowflex, where the resistance is progressive. For years, I was hard-headed and swore off most machines and stuck to free weights as much as possible, but have learned to use them on certain movements to keep better form. Hope that helped a little. :shrug:

Here's some general suggestions from a guy who used to be into the whole fitness thing in a BIG way (you saw how I am now so I must emphasize "used to"):

Cardio - Forget the tread mill thing. Tread mills are a short fad for many. They are boring and people who use them lose interest real fast. If you want to try one DON'T BUY NEW! Just look in the used section of your local paper. You will find a ton of $2k treadmills selling for a fraction of that. For the ultimate cardio workout, get yourself a good quality cross country ski machine. A bit of research will find that cross country skiing is the best workout for the human body.

Pulleys - As others have said, they work well depending on the body part(s). I would never use pulleys to work out my legs, but for smaller muscles like lats, a pulley machine will do well.

Free weights - Best all around. You don't need much either, especially if you are looking to keep yourself toned.

As already mentioned, don't bother with new man, its a waste. There is a shit-ton of used equipment in the classifieds that people blow off because they don't want the stuff around.

Best,

Mark

Q's:

- Are these cable type machines really worthy? ie can you get a real workout on one and is it a viable solution?

- Is there something that should be added to the machine to make the workout better?

- Any resources describing how best to use one of these?

- Should I look at something else altogether, or are there other brands that I should look for?

I really appreciate the help. Out of all people I thought I would be the last to use this section, but I am actually looking forward to bettering my body.

As the others have mentioned, the cable systems are great for specific things. You can purchase multi-use attachments that allow you to do squats with the unit you posted, and so on. Nothing beats buying the gym pass and heading there to do free-weight exercises, though.

As for the cardio ... you mentioned your knees bug you, so you are definitely on the right track by selecting an elliptical. As Mark mentioned, check out the classifieds - people are always trying to get rid of something.

You already have a head start in terms of bettering your body - you eat really well!

I can give you some exercises that you can take with you on the road if you like. 10-15 minutes in the comfort of your hotel room is all it really takes.

I have been looking for used, the problem is of course that the stride that I have only fits on the newest machines which the idjits on craigslist are asking more than I negotiated to buy one new for at the store.

The cable machines seem wimpy to me as well; however, my goal isn't to put on mass or build up muscle in a way that is visible I just don't want to let natural aging weaken me. The advantage I see in the machines are they don't lock you into doing things in one direction requiring some balance and finesse. Maybe this is me thinking that it is an advantage when it is a disadvantage, but I regularly see people who are muscular but have a hard time walking since they work so hard on building up muscles and not building them up in a way that they can use them everyday. The analogy I would draw is to rock climbing, everyone see's people climb up mountains and think they must be super strong but in reality balance is by far much more critical than strength. I would like to focus on being healthy and fit and it seems to me that a machine like this would do exactly that. The independence of your arms/legs I see as analogous to free weights, but the individual ones instead of one long bar. I know I am pretty good at cheating and if I can use my right arm to compensate for my weak left by being lazy in an exercise, I will.

I will continue to look for used schtuff too. Thanks for the input so far!!

Definitely interested in the "on the road" exercises Steve. Probably a good start anyways. ;)

Oh, as for the gym. Considering it is 15min to drive anywhere, I would personally much rather spend that 30min (there & back) doing further workout at home. Even if it isn't quite the workout, I feel it is the only way I will stay motivated to do it.

I've tried treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and the skiiers and i must say nothing gives me the flat out rush that running does. Though if you're having problems with your knees that may be out of the question.

The cable machines seem wimpy to me as well; however, my goal isn't to put on mass or build up muscle in a way that is visible I just don't want to let natural aging weaken me....

Why didn't you say so? Its simple. DRINK MORE BEER! Look how young I am... :D

I have been looking for used, the problem is of course that the stride that I have only fits on the newest machines which the idjits on craigslist are asking more than I negotiated to buy one new for at the store.

The cable machines seem wimpy to me as well; however, my goal isn't to put on mass or build up muscle in a way that is visible I just don't want to let natural aging weaken me. The advantage I see in the machines are they don't lock you into doing things in one direction requiring some balance and finesse. Maybe this is me thinking that it is an advantage when it is a disadvantage, but I regularly see people who are muscular but have a hard time walking since they work so hard on building up muscles and not building them up in a way that they can use them everyday. The analogy I would draw is to rock climbing, everyone see's people climb up mountains and think they must be super strong but in reality balance is by far much more critical than strength. I would like to focus on being healthy and fit and it seems to me that a machine like this would do exactly that. The independence of your arms/legs I see as analogous to free weights, but the individual ones instead of one long bar. I know I am pretty good at cheating and if I can use my right arm to compensate for my weak left by being lazy in an exercise, I will.

I will continue to look for used schtuff too. Thanks for the input so far!!

Working with machines (not cables ... we're talking leg extensions, seated chest press, etc) only enables you to move according to how the machine wants you to move. Machines take away the stabilization component. You are a function guy who needs functional exercises (machines are far from functional). Besides, let's face it ... at your height, it will be difficult to properly fit in those machines. After all, the vast majority of companies produce machines as 'revenue generators' and design them around a popuation of 'average' height individuals.

You can do a LOT with that cable system you posted - I use the same piece of equipment (different brand) nearly every day. It is a fairly good piece for a beginner/intermediate.

The cable machines seem wimpy to me as well; however, my goal isn't to put on mass or build up muscle in a way that is visible I just don't want to let natural aging weaken me....

Why didn't you say so? Its simple. DRINK MORE BEER! Look how young I am... :D

I like this :P

I am already good at the beer part :)

Any idea what the standard markup is on things like these? The store is being rather aggressive about having me buy something before the end of the month, so it is time for a lowball. :)

--also Steve, if you have recommendations on other cable machines that aren't the Hoist I'd be curious to see what I can find those for

If I were to go pick up that Hoist unit, I would shoot for around $2000-$2200.

Life Fitness just got $55,000 from me as I ordered six new treadmills. We deal with Life Fitness, Hammer Strength, and a couple other brands based on what we have dealt with in the past number of years in terms of equipment quality.

Just FYI, for the comparable cable unit from Life Fitness ... my cost would be about $1500-$1700, retail being $2800+ negotiable to about $2200.

Perfect. Thanks Steve. The place around the corner sells the Life stuff so I am going to let them fight over my money. :)

I would say you have picked some good machines, but yes i would buy used as a ton of people these machines, and then never use them after 2 weeks and they just collect dust until they are sold because they take up too much room.

As for if you are spending your money on something worth while for you, i would say based on what you have said you are looking todo then yes it suits your needs i would say just fine. you may want a bench with it though not sure if comes with one but it may be a good idea to look into that. The actors look very comfortable in those pictures but, im pretty sure you find a bench more comforting. you can also sub the bench out for a Ball since you seem like you might be into something like that.

Oh and those guys who you see that have a hard time walking due to muscle...thats YEARS and YEARS of 100 percent dedication(say what u wait about roids it still takes time to be big enough not to walk) you can try and build as much muscle as you want but you will never accidentally become a big freak, so don't worry about it.

Cliff notes...good choice for you i do believe

Edited by ddeitz

Sean ... the Life Fitness should have some LeMond indoor group cycles ... give one of those a shot and see if there is enough adjustment for you to fit on it - you and your wife may enjoy it as it is quite a smooth ride.

I can't use the LF elliptical models we have either.

I forgot to mention before ... Life Fitness has a great certified pre-owned program. If you were to go that route try and have them give you the maintenance record as you can base your decision off that alone.

I am sensing some pictures will be added to this topic soon. :)

I am sensing some pictures will be added to this topic soon. :)

My senses tell me the same. :)

Your senses are right :)

gym004xt2.jpg

Ohhhhhh, shiny. :)

Looks good man. :)

I bet you got a great price :) High quality equipment right there.

Hopefully they tossed in a couple attachments for the cables.

The gamut of attachments are hanging on the rear support.

You have a PM as well Steve. :)