Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

The Mag is here.

The driver can take 1k watt thermally in 1 cube sealed, which is why our recommended and specified enclosure will be 1 cube sealed. Not 1.1 or 1.2, but 1 cube sealed. If you absolutely HAVE to shove 1200 watts to a driver, don't choose the new Mag. But be aware that the new Mag is more efficient than the current Mag and doesn't need 1k watt to reach full potential.

I wonder how many times it's been stated, no 15's. :) No 15's. We do have 2 15's left in stock though. The first $475 each gets them!

The driver can take 1k watt thermally in 1 cube sealed, which is why our recommended and specified enclosure will be 1 cube sealed. Not 1.1 or 1.2, but 1 cube sealed. If you absolutely HAVE to shove 1200 watts to a driver, don't choose the new Mag. But be aware that the new Mag is more efficient than the current Mag and doesn't need 1k watt to reach full potential.

I wonder how many times it's been stated, no 15's. :) No 15's. We do have 2 15's left in stock though. The first $475 each gets them!

So you are recommending sealed rather than ported? If ported what is the optimal size enclosure tuned at what frequency and how much power can they handle in the optimal ported enclosure?

lets say you just want this sucker to sound good with about i dunno 5-6-7-8-900w. is the 1 cube ideal or is it 1.2 seeing you ran it in 1.2 cubes.

Guys, I simply cannot get over this driver. The driver is absolutely beautiful sound-wise.

Hi Nick!

Damn it looks good already and hopefully, like you said, it will sound perfectly as well...

I am still considering buying 3 (three) new Mags in 1 cu. ft. sealed enclosure (each) running them from 2 (two) linked SAZ-1500D amplifiers at 3 ohms (don't want to lose out on the dampening factor with 1.33 ohms). Meaning the new Mag's will get 800W RMS each. I take it the new Mag's will be able to handle this for daily listening / driving? Any other recommendations?

Do you have any T/S yet, or should I wait a bit more... Hehe. :)

One more thing; I already pm-ed you about this, but here goes: Will these new Mag's be able to perform like my old (Mark I) RE XXX's and thus perform better than my 2 (two) SoundSplinter RL-p 12" subwoofers (no offence meant to Mike). Cause I really didn't like the way the Soundsplinters performed on my kind of "music".

Also, on a more personal note, can I send you a MP3 song of one of my favourite songs by email or something? To check out if the new Mag really performs good? I don't think you will like the song, but it will really tell me something about the potential about the new Mag. I would really appreciate it, if you would give it a go Nick. :)

Man, I just hope I can fit 3 (three) of the subwoofers in my car... Cause my car (Lexus IS 220D from 2007), does not have a lot of trunkspace. :S

If your interested in my car's setup, check my website: my car & sound gallery.

Though there were a few changes after thos pictures; a second JL Audio 1000/1 amplifier and went back to sealed. But still it didn't perform like I wanted it to... Boy I really miss my old (two) RE 12" XXX's subwoofers. Hopefully the new Mag's can compete with them in output, sound quality and speed!

Thanks for your time, like I always I appreciate your time!

If your interested in my car's setup, check my website: my car & sound gallery

Holy crap! Nice car and a very nice install!! Also that's a nice web page for your own stereo install.

But yes, in 1 cube each, 3 Mags will handle 800 watts each. I'm going to do more power testing this weekend after I up the power in my gutted Civic. We'll also do some Termlab testing. :) We didn't get around to upping the power this past weekend because the HO alt stopped working so we had to swap it out. This time the factory alt went back in because it provides such good output at idle. That, and I don't have a problem with power due to the two Powermaster batteries behind the seats.

Anyway, back to the Mag. The driver will handle anything you can throw at it. It plays back music a lot better and more accurate than the current Mag. You can send me an .mp3 of the music you're talking about so I can burn it and give it a listen, but I'm already confident that the Mag will follow it.

1 cube is ideal for 800-1000 watts. If you have 500-800 watts, you can up the enclosure size to 1.2 cubes if you desire. It is not necessary though - the driver is just a tad more efficient in the larger enclosure sizes, but it can't take the power...hence, the above recommendations.

I'm recommending sealed because it sounds so damn good in sealed! But, I know people are going to want to port them, and the Mag will work great ported as well. This weekend we'll throw it in a ported enclosure and see what happens on the mic. 1.5 cubes ported to 32 Hz (that is what I'll recommend) will handle 1000 watts with the proper subsonic filter. That is the only ported enclosure we are going to recommend. In retrospect, 1 cube is the only enclosure we are going to recommend. And our warranty only extends to drivers that are put in our recommended enclosures. :) You can't throw the driver in 1.5 cubes, send it 1500 watts, and wonder what happened - the driver won't take that kind of abuse and we know exactly what kind of power it will take in what enclosures.

soundss like this is going to be one of the best 12" subs out there for the sub $300 price range. :-)

soundss like this is going to be one of the best 12" subs out there for the sub $300 price range. :-)

Since when was a brand new mag $300? :puzzled:

Since now, read the thread, Nick said the new MAg should be available for under $275 shipped.

That price range is going to be stacked with insane drivers. I really feel sorry for people that have trouble making decisions now...haha

That price range is going to be stacked with insane drivers. I really feel sorry for people that have trouble making decisions now...haha

You shouldn't because the Mag pwns all others ;)

Holy crap! Nice car and a very nice install!! Also that's a nice web page for your own stereo install.

Thank you... Though my next install will be less focused on how it looks and more about the LSQ. :)

But yes, in 1 cube each, 3 Mags will handle 800 watts each. I'm going to do more power testing this weekend after I up the power in my gutted Civic. We'll also do some Termlab testing. :) We didn't get around to upping the power this past weekend because the HO alt stopped working so we had to swap it out. This time the factory alt went back in because it provides such good output at idle. That, and I don't have a problem with power due to the two Powermaster batteries behind the seats.

Sound reeally promising.

Anyway, back to the Mag. The driver will handle anything you can throw at it. It plays back music a lot better and more accurate than the current Mag. You can send me an .mp3 of the music you're talking about so I can burn it and give it a listen, but I'm already confident that the Mag will follow it.

Okay expect 2 or 3 songs from my end. :)

...lets hope the subs can perfom sweetly with those songs.

I will send them to your email address.

1 cube is ideal for 800-1000 watts. If you have 500-800 watts, you can up the enclosure size to 1.2 cubes if you desire. It is not necessary though - the driver is just a tad more efficient in the larger enclosure sizes, but it can't take the power...hence, the above recommendations.

I'm recommending sealed because it sounds so damn good in sealed! But, I know people are going to want to port them, and the Mag will work great ported as well. This weekend we'll throw it in a ported enclosure and see what happens on the mic. 1.5 cubes ported to 32 Hz (that is what I'll recommend) will handle 1000 watts with the proper subsonic filter. That is the only ported enclosure we are going to recommend. In retrospect, 1 cube is the only enclosure we are going to recommend. And our warranty only extends to drivers that are put in our recommended enclosures. :) You can't throw the driver in 1.5 cubes, send it 1500 watts, and wonder what happened - the driver won't take that kind of abuse and we know exactly what kind of power it will take in what enclosures.

Well I just hope I can manage to fit 3x subwoofers in my car...

i'm sorry jacob if you are reading, but im gonna use this sub for the lincoln...it sounds very very promising and perfect for the room im going to use

ill put the sd1v2's in the benz :)

i'm sorry jacob if you are reading, but im gonna use this sub for the lincoln...it sounds very very promising and perfect for the room im going to use

ill put the sd1v2's in the benz :)

I think he'll be OK with it. ;)

Okay expect 2 or 3 songs from my end. :)

...lets hope the subs can perfom sweetly with those songs.

I will send them to your email address.

Well I just hope I can manage to fit 3x subwoofers in my car...

Cool, I'll be looking forward to your tracks. :)

If you can fit 3 cubes, you can fit 3 Mag's...or 6 BM's. :D

Cool, I'll be looking forward to your tracks. :)

If you can fit 3 cubes, you can fit 3 Mag's...or 6 BM's. :D

Well the Lexus IS 220D suffers from a very small trunk imho.

But I am optimistic about it and 85 liters (3 cu. ft.) ain't much, but I will also have to place an extra battery. Ordered 2x Kinetik HC1800 batteries. Hopefully this will be enough and will fit... :)

Anyways, I have send you an email. nick [at] stereoetc.com. Hopefully you have received.

Really looking forward on how these Mag's will perform.

Any dates when it will be possible to order them? Even if it's only an estimation.

Cause I am already getting everything else what I am going to need. :)

Regards

Yep, I got your email. :) I'll burn the tracks tomorrow and see if I can give them a listen before I go out of town this weekend.

No release or order dates as of yet. We're still ironing out the details for production and the last thing I want to do is lead people on with a random date. :)

PS: You can make the enclosures around 0.8 cubes each and add polyfill to make it 1 cube.

I know I don't post much, but I'm impatiently waiting these subs. Nothing has sounded good to me since I took my Mag out of the car, so I can't wait to get another one in there.

When these go on sale, I may have to replace the ported BM in my truck with a couple sealed Mags. I am a huge fan of the low end extension and accurate reproduction of everything from electronic to classical. I couldn't fit the old Mag (needed too much depth/box size). These new ones sound so promising.