bigjae1976

Havoc vrs Fi Q comparison

I know this has been asked a lot so I'll give my input.

I have an SAZ-1500D which drove both a Q12 and Havoc 12 in the same ported box tuned to 33hz. I know its high but that's all the space I can afford. No BP option on the Q.

I've only taken a quick listen to the Havoc, just installed it about 1 hour ago. SQ wise, not much of a difference. The real difference seems to be in the Havoc's low end presence. The Havoc seems be a little louder across the board, especially down low.

There is a noticeable difference and they obviously aren't the same. My initial impressions is that if I had a choice, the Havoc is the better sub. If you are strapped for cash, the Q is a better value when comparing retail pricing.

I'll post some more notes as I listen to the Havoc more. Overall, I think I can now comfortably part ways with my Q. Awesome sub but the Havoc is just a little better.

I am sure there are a bunch of people that are interested in this. You should give an update after the Havoc has broken in all the way.

Interesting, just curious to know what you listened to and where your LP crossover was set?

I guess you can move it...you guys are the bosses ;)

LP was set at 80 hz and my EQ was flat. I believe the subsonic filter was at 32 hz.

As far as SPL, I metered at 138.1 when the Q had 4 hours of play time. I did a 139.5 with the Havoc. Both on TLs in the kick panel. Same box, same car, same stock alt. The only difference is the amp and battery. The Q was on the USA-2000x and a much smaller stinger battery. The Havoc was on the SAZ-1500D with a Kinetik HC2400.

I don't think that made much of a difference because the Q couldn't take the full 2000 watts from the US Amps anyway.

Did some more listening today. I think this sub will be much easier to integrate into the front stage not that the Q was hard to blend in.

The havoc has comparable SQ to the Q. Its kind of hard to call which on is better yet.

The more I listen, the more it feels like the Havoc has a stronger low end presence. It shakes and rattles everything a little more at similar overall volume levels. It seems like I am getting some more ratting car parts than before as well.

More to follow. So far, I do like this better than the Q. I don't think I'd upgrade from a Q but I would probably choose the Havoc over the Q when all things are considered.

subs don't need 8ga wire anyways :)

Yeah, but its the whole "pretty" thing for the plexi window.

More observations...I think the Havoc is a little cleaner than the Q during complex passages. I use "Fortune Faded" by RHCP to test this. Towards the end at 2:25 thru 2:49, Flea is going to town on the bass guitar. Most subs will run the notes together. Even the Q in the ported box ran the notes together a little. Although the Q was much sharper in the sealed box and didnot run the notes together.

The Havoc played them all rather distinctly. The only other sub that I know can do this is an XBL2 RE XXX.

Still haven't touched the EQ. I'm still getting used to the Sundown amps. For reason, the gains don't seem to be equally progressive. I have them all the way down and won't get much output. Then after 1/3 turn, the volume suddenly increases by A LOT.

Update...the Havoc seems to be broken in.

Unlike the Q, which significantly changed as it broke in, the Havoc seems to be change a little less.

I would say that the Havoc is more comparable to a n XBL2 XXX than a Q. Most Fi Q setups seem to be tuned to 30-32 hz. I had mine tuned a little higher (33hz...maybe 34hz when you factor in my box building skills) so I didn't have any issues with 70+ output.

My only knock against the sound of the Q was that it is a little harder to blend into my front stage because of the increased top end. Whereas my XBL2 XXX 12 was very easy. The Havoc makes it easy.

Conclusion....the Havoc does everything extremely well...this can fit into any system. Again, I would definitely choose this over the Q considering the price. I wouldn't necessarily run out and ditch my Q for a Havoc. I upgraded purely for promotion purposes. You get a little more bottom end with a little more refined sound vrs the Q.

You won't regret getting either sub! The edge goes to the Havoc.

Update...the Havoc seems to be broken in.

Unlike the Q, which significantly changed as it broke in, the Havoc seems to be change a little less.

I would say that the Havoc is more comparable to a n XBL2 XXX than a Q. Most Fi Q setups seem to be tuned to 30-32 hz. I had mine tuned a little higher (33hz...maybe 34hz when you factor in my box building skills) so I didn't have any issues with 70+ output.

My only knock against the sound of the Q was that it is a little harder to blend into my front stage because of the increased top end. Whereas my XBL2 XXX 12 was very easy. The Havoc makes it easy.

Conclusion....the Havoc does everything extremely well...this can fit into any system. Again, I would definitely choose this over the Q considering the price. I wouldn't necessarily run out and ditch my Q for a Havoc. I upgraded purely for promotion purposes. You get a little more bottom end with a little more refined sound vrs the Q.

You won't regret getting either sub! The edge goes to the Havoc.

i thought the Havocs were more expensive than the Q's... Q's retail starting at $260 right? What are the Havocs runnin for...base model

Okay, one complaint. 8 ga wire went into the Q's terminals easily. Not the case for the Havocs.

Weird considering they use the exact same terminals...lol

Thank you for the review. Your results seem to fit right in with my goals and measurements. They are two different subs with similar goals, and its always nice to hear someone do a comparison that has had plenty time with them both... and a phenominal system to check with.

Thanks,

Scott

Just saw this review and had to chim in! I have had 2 Q18s and now have 2 Havoc 18s. I had the Qs for over a year and man I loved them. They hit the lows like no other! Were the best subs I ever owned!!I sold them due to space in my trunk, but ended up getting some more 18s anyway. I was going to get some more Qs but after reading on the Havocs I chose them, and I think I made the right decision!!! I agree with Bigjae's review!!

Off top I noticed that these things are LOUDER!!!! They are in the same type box that the Qs were in off the same amps, although they are getting more power, 1400+rms compared to the Qs that were getting 1000+rms. I've only been playing these Havocs for two days and they sound just as good as the Qs, just louder!!! The sq is great, and that's what I look for in a sub!! Plus the look of the havocs is awesome!!

You can't go wrong with either sub!! Once these Havocs break in I'll give some more info!!!

Not for long lol :)

Havoc is definitely one of my favorite subs of all time..no doubt :)

Nick (or anybody thats heard both), how does the Havoc compare to an Avalanche? I'm in the market for a new sub for another car. I absolutely love my Ava and wouldn't ever get rid of it, but I also have the itch to try something new....

Okay, one complaint. 8 ga wire went into the Q's terminals easily. Not the case for the Havocs.

Weird considering they use the exact same terminals...lol

I thought so too. I spent about 15 minutes trying to shove the wires in there. I had the Q right there and the wires fit perfectly.

Thank you for the review. Your results seem to fit right in with my goals and measurements. They are two different subs with similar goals, and its always nice to hear someone do a comparison that has had plenty time with them both... and a phenominal system to check with.

Thanks,

Scott

No problem. Everyone who has one loves it. Its a pretty amazing sub and has held up pretty well. I'm working in a sealed vrs. ported review as well.

Nice review. I hope to be able to do a direct comparison soon as well. It will be a direct drop in comparison too. :) Just waiting on school to get done so I can get some cash... :)

nice review here and I as well have to say that the 12' havoc I got on a sundown 1500d does get low, an loud but yet it is still very musical.. I have hit a 142db on term lab car sealed, mic on dash and all this at 2 ohms with the sundown 1500d :):)

Aloha

Nick (or anybody thats heard both), how does the Havoc compare to an Avalanche? I'm in the market for a new sub for another car. I absolutely love my Ava and wouldn't ever get rid of it, but I also have the itch to try something new....

Anybody have an answer to this??

this is really a good review and really helps me in deciding w/c one to buy.

Q: havocs tend to be better as said from previous post, but as i understand it, its on a sealed enclosure for both... if both was on a ported enclosure, would the havocs still tend to be better?

or is it that the havocs tends to sound better and respond better in sealed enclosures but wether sealed or ported havocs hands down?l