Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Mechanical people needed for this alternator question

OK, i've been doin research on this and i can't get a hold of excessive amperage or Iraggi so maybe someone on here may know.

I had planned on running a Lanzar 6000D with an Alpine PDX 4.150

300A iraggi alt with HC1800 and HC2400.

Well, i've been doin some research on alts and it said once you reach 300A alt case size, it is extremely large. In order to have adequate cooling, they are normalls about 12" wide by 18" long! There is no way that could fit in there without doin some extensive re-running of the AC lines, but Iraggi makes alts this high which is odd.

I drive a 2007 Scion tC by the way, 141hp dyno-ed stock auto, 161hp at the crank.

Ok, it is also true that for every 150A of output, the engine loses 11-14HP. That's a lot for a 300A alt AND for a 4 cylinder at that.

I talked to my alt install guy about it and he said that the engine should not stall even at idle but does not believe a 300A alt can fit and neither do i.

I continued researching and found out that that kind of loss of HP severely puts excessive wear on the engine. I do not know if it does this while on idle or just at any time.

Can someone elaborate on all of this?

It's makin me wanna downgrade to a 200-220 at the max and just run a 3K amp instead. But while i'm thinkin about it, i may not even be able to do that due to the amount of current one can pull.

I don't know about the size thing, but as far as horsepower loss, 1 hp = 746 watts. So, 300a at 14.4v is 4320 watts which is 5.79 hp. And that's assuming 100% efficiency. At 50% efficiency, which is still probably being fairly optimistic, you'd lose 11.58 hp.

this came from Zena -

# Is your engine large enough?

For example, if you are driving your alternator with a diesel engine, and assuming adequate flywheel mass and a 3:1 engine drive pulley to alternator pulley ratio, a high efficiency, high current, 12V alternator will require about 1 hp per 30 amps of output power + about 1-2 hp for engine operating/muffling loads -- when operating at its maximum rated output current.

Therefore, for a 150 Amp alternator, operating at full output, the expected diesel engine load would be about 7-8 hp.

If using a gasoline engine instead of a diesel, with a slightly lower 2 to 2.5:1 drive ratio, figure on a requirement of about 1 hp per 15 amps of output power + about 1-3 hp for engine operating/muffling loads -- i.e., 11-14 hp for a 150A alternator.

# Is your charging system large enough to provide a proper load for your engine when being used only for charging at an appropriate engine operating speed?

For example, if you are driving your charging system with a diesel engine you want the system to provide enough load so that the engine will be operating within its normal operating parameters (average alternator load when charging between 20-80% of engine's rated output power at the speed chosen for charging). Operating with too small of a load, for extended periods, can contribute to greatly accelerated engine wear. ALSO, operating at too low of an engine speed (regardless of load effects) can be bad for your engine -- carbon deposit buildup, poor cooling, lack of proper lubrication. We recommend that the minimum engine speed used for high amp charging be kept well above the point at which full engine oil pressure is produced and/or above the point at which full cooling system function is realized.

6 horse is much much closer, its not a pump, its a spinning brush. also, i have been told that anything over 300 amps must have external dioeds

well, i can't go with a dual alt setup because there is no room and we all know the bigger the alt, the better but when is it too much?

If it's really only like 6 hp then that isnt nothin if it's true.

I would be using the same alt as Meade has on his tahoe. Actually, he has 4 now but still it should be the same size case.

I was unable to reach Ho-alt, ohio generator, excessive amperage and iraggi alternator on the phone today about the 300a alt question and about it fitting my car. I'll try calling them all tomorrow.

well, i can't go with a dual alt setup because there is no room and we all know the bigger the alt, the better but when is it too much?

If it's really only like 6 hp then that isnt nothin if it's true.

I would be using the same alt as Meade has on his tahoe. Actually, he has 4 now but still it should be the same size case.

I was unable to reach Ho-alt, ohio generator, excessive amperage and iraggi alternator on the phone today about the 300a alt question and about it fitting my car. I'll try calling them all tomorrow.

i tryed to get price once from ohio.. and thay never emailed back never called me back there are iraggis on ebay.

Iraggi makes one for my car but it is not listed on the site!

I've talked to him about it a year ago but that was just to see if he made one... he does.

But that's all i know.

And as far as i know, no one has one that large on a scion tc :) i might have to take that smile off because i still might not go that high.

I'm just guessing but, since it's a small car and it's a toyota. I'd say the biggest you can go is 180amp from EA and I've heard you can get a 200amp alt. from Iraggi. I know Mean green and HO-alt and probably ohio don't make alts. for imports. I was just guessing the 180 because thats what EA told me was the most they could make for my camry.

hehe, Iraggi told me over the phone he makes a 300A for my car. I know what the price is and everything. He also stated that he(well... at the time anyways) also had the only alt for the scion tc that would not throw codes due to the ECU controlling the voltage itself.

I know i can get it, but i gotta get in depth specs on it and how safe is my car with it?