Sign in to follow this  
chrispizzitola

help with volts

OK so i have a hifonics 1606 powering one 12 Q and i have the gain turned all the way down and the multi meter is reading 36.6 volts and if i turn the gain up to about half way it reads like 55 v. i am confused and my headunit is only 2 v preouts what is goin on, is there anywone that lives in so cal that can help me set my gains and check my setup because i am either just plain stupid or something is wrong.

Use a DMM

you can get them from walmart/radioshack for like 10-20 bucks..

yeah i am using a dmm and the reading is coming out that 36 volts with the gains all the way down what am i doing wrong.

I am using a 50 hz test tone and i put the volume at 28/35 and subwoofer at +12/15 and the volts are reading liike 38v on the dmm. what the hell is my problem

is it set to ACV 200?

Edited by ProFiMesto

i got the 30 dollar auto digital multi meter frin radio shack and yeah i am setting it up correctly. doesnt it normally need gains about half way up for it to be reading around 40 volts? because i need to turn my gain like 3/4 way up for it to even sound decent looud.

Try this and see if it helps...

No EQ

No sound processing

Set the + sub to zero

Set the amp bass boost to zero (Unless you want to use it. If so, set it to whatever you like first, then adjust the gain)

i got the 30 dollar auto digital multi meter frin radio shack and yeah i am setting it up correctly. doesnt it normally need gains about half way up for it to be reading around 40 volts? because i need to turn my gain like 3/4 way up for it to even sound decent looud.

what voice coil do you have? and at what impedance does your amplifier put out full power?

power (P) = voltage (V) x amperage (I) amperage = measurement of current

lets say if it really is putting out 55volts and you have dual 2 ohm coils... common impedance rise is 3x or higher in a listening box

now this would put you at about 6 ohms

to get amperage it is current (I) = voltage (V) / resistance,impedance

Edited by MTA

btw.. are the coils in series or in parallel?

Nice catch MTA!

How do you have the sub wired Chris?

Test it and make sure it's wired to 1 ohm.

You should have a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub wired in parallel to do so.

Wiring diagrams for subs

btw.. are the coils in series or in parallel?

Nice catch MTA!

How do you have the sub wired Chris?

Test it and make sure it's wired to 1 ohm.

You should have a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub wired in parallel to do so.

Wiring diagrams for subs

thanx.. but hey after doin stupid chit for 16 years you figure out how to do it right eventually. Im a full time custom intaller and hardcore SPL'er, I gotta know these things to do my job right

now I just need to spell correctly so I can stop editing my posts

Edited by MTA

ok so i think i fixed the problem it turns out that the multimeter was automatic and at first it was reading 38mv so it changes accordingly (wtf but watever) i teseted using a 60hz tone and i ended up with the gain at about 3/4 way up for about 36.3 v but my sub still doesnt sound like i expected it to. It may be the chitty prefab box that i got which is only 1.2 cubes. I have the sub inverted so i can have the 1.2 but still do you think going 2.5 ported tuned to 32hz with a well built box will give me better output.

what voice coil do you have? and at what impedance does your amplifier put out full power?

power (P) = voltage (V) x amperage (I) amperage = measurement of current

lets say if it really is putting out 55volts and you have dual 2 ohm coils... common impedance rise is 3x or higher in a listening box

now this would put you at about 6 ohms

to get amperage it is current (I) = voltage (V) / resistance,impedance

:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: fing05.gif:domodance::bananaDance: yep, should sound a whole lot better, so many similes we have.

Sign in to follow this