Sign in to follow this  
ibsmooth

how to set up a 14.1 v system

Just was wondering what would I need to set up my system to never drop below 14.1 or the lowest I want it to drop would be 13.1

What equipment and electrical upgrades are you working with right now?

Well i have a 300 amp alt coming. Done the big 3 0 guage. 1 yellow top under the hood and four kinetik 2400 batts on the way. I was told to run 3 runs of 0 guage to the back batts. I want to know if this enought to keep the volts up to 14.1 or more. oh I will be running 2 18" fi btl and two saz-3000d or IA 40.1. which amp do you think is best for this set up?

Edited by ibsmooth

i dont think there is just a one answer end all.

Get some metal flex conduit and run it under your vehicle Run each run of 0 gauge through it. If you need to run more due to voltage drop, you know you can run more wire like crazy since running under is a lot easier than in the vehicle.

It seems that goal would be very reachable since a car runs at 14.4V regularly. I couldn't tell if what you are doing will work but you are definitely going about it the right way.

if you in park with the motor running that seems like it wil lbe fine... but if your in drive with your foot on the break you will indeed drop........ sound likes it gonna be a good build what kinda suv?

It's not as easy as it seems.

Figure a 300amp alternator will sustain 14.4v until that 300 amps is exceeded. Then you switch to battery power, which will be around 12.8 volts. So in order to keep 14.1 steady volts, you would have to have enough alternator to power your system, plus anything else in the car without going over it's amperage.

Sounds easy, until you try it. But the easiest way to stay above 14.1v is to do a 16V setup.

if you do that then the alt will not be able to properly charge all the batts to 100% if that's the only alt in the vehicle.

if you in park with the motor running that seems like it wil lbe fine... but if your in drive with your foot on the break you will indeed drop........ sound likes it gonna be a good build what kinda suv?

03 gmc yukon I was also thinking of running two alts also If I do that they both would be 250 amps or more

Figure a 300amp alternator will sustain 14.4v until that 300 amps is exceeded. Then you switch to battery power, which will be around 12.8 volts. So in order to keep 14.1 steady volts, you would have to have enough alternator to power your system, plus anything else in the car without going over it's amperage.

Sounds easy, until you try it. But the easiest way to stay above 14.1v is to do a 16V setup.

Now thats what I was thinking but I thought that that might be to hard to do or would hurt something. If it is possible I would like to do it if I don't have to add a second alt but I think that adding a second alt having about 500 to 600 amps should be enought I'm thinking.

Now thats what I was thinking but I thought that that might be to hard to do or would hurt something. If it is possible I would like to do it if I don't have to add a second alt but I think that adding a second alt having about 500 to 600 amps should be enought I'm thinking.

Dose any one know the ampage draw for two saz-3000d and 2 IA 40.1

Edited by ibsmooth

Depends on the load presented to the 3000D's. Take a look in the Sundown forums for voltage draw.

Depends on the load presented to the 3000D's. Take a look in the Sundown forums for voltage draw.

Thanks I was thinking of running each fi 18" btl sub at one ohm

Edited by ibsmooth

i honestly do not know anything about IA's amps but i do know that those sundown's are very efficient!

If you are worried about that, the sundown's are a great choice. ~90% @ 2ohms is awesome.

According to the tests that are pinned in the Sundown Audio forum, power draw should be as follows -

@ 1.33 ohms - approx 320-355A at 10.75-12.0v

@ 2 ohms - approx 240-265A at 10.75-12.0v

Those are like worse case scenarios. As long as you got the proper capacity of batts and alt, you shouldn't dip that low while driving. Power output may increase some if you can sustain high 13's but am uncertain.

What equipment and electrical upgrades are you working with right now?

Well i have a 300 amp alt coming. Done the big 3 0 guage. 1 yellow top under the hood and four kinetik 2400 batts on the way. I was told to run 3 runs of 0 guage to the back batts. I want to know if this enought to keep the volts up to 14.1 or more. oh I will be running 2 18" fi btl and two saz-3000d or IA 40.1. which amp do you think is best for this set up?

I would run one 40.1 but I'm biased :P

i have 2 15 bl's i know that i drew 300 amps 1 time... but i was giveing that amp hell

Ok my friends I have decided to run two alternators 250 or more. As far as the amps still kicking that issue around and wondering if I should just run one amp or two for daily drive, but I want to have enough bang if some wants to challenge me or having my lights dimming when I turn it up loud.

Edited by ibsmooth

What is need to set a 16v system and will that hurt anything or my electrical system in the truck?

What is need to set a 16v system and will that hurt anything or my electrical system in the truck?

Have a stock electrical for the car and have another 16 volt just for amps.

So that means 2 alts or more. And a decent size bank of 16 volts in the back.

or a step down module to convert 16 volts to 12 volts. Powermaster makes a nice piece.