lillitnn92

my new toy

so i've had my RL-i 10 laying around long enough, it's been too cold to be outside working on a box. so later today when i wake up, i'm going to start cutting the

Edited by lillitnn92

I would keep it at around 500-600w, just to be sure. Of course, you could try it higher after a short while, but I think 800-1000 could be a bit too much for the small coil.

it should handle it, but doesn't need it. the box you build will have a lot to say on the matter.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

it should handle it, but doesn't need it. the box you build will have a lot to say on the matter.

well the box will be right at .65 after sub displacement, which is what they suggest is optimal on the site. i got the amp installed today. had to redo the front of the box, good thing i had enough

Edited by lillitnn92

well the box will be right at .65 after sub displacement, which is what they suggest is optimal on the site. i got the amp installed today. had to redo the front of the box, good thing i had enough

Well it’s in, but I’m having some issues that may or may not be related to the amp. If you stroll by the amp section you’ll see a post about it. Here’s a link if you’d like to help me out. http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=15223

As for pictures, I’m no carpenter and I’m quite embarrassed about my box making skills. There might not be pics other than just a plain picture of the front. This is a quote from that other thread on my current state of mind with this set up.

As of right now, with the new box loaded with the RL-i 10 and new bigger and better amp, it just doesn’t sound as loud. Granted, I’m not out there cranking it, because I know better and I know about the break in for the sub. I just thought going from and old beat up 250rms to a new 800rms amp and sub combo would make a difference, a very noticeable difference, but I’m not hearing yet.

Do I need to be more patient? Or could this be a result of amp issues? I did buy the amp from a vendor on eBay, maybe I got shafted with a bad amp? I’m pretty sure everything is hooked up correctly and the box was made right. It might not be aesthetically pleasing to some, but it was damn near air tight just like the last one I made.

Edited by lillitnn92

is the sub wired correctly to the amp? are the coils ont he sub wired correctly?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

is the sub wired correctly to the amp? are the coils ont he sub wired correctly?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

99.9999999999999% sure. i took my time laying that thing in the box before i screwed it in. i plan on doing some investigating tomorrow, so i'll take it out to make sure. but just so you know, it's like this.

14ohmdvc2ohmun2.th.gif

Edited by lillitnn92

that would be correct. i would measure with a dmm to make sure. unhook teh sub from the amp and throw the meter on it. make sure it's in the 2 ohm neighborhood. that will eliminate one part of the equation.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

that would be correct. i would measure with a dmm to make sure. unhook teh sub from the amp and throw the meter on it. make sure it's in the 2 ohm neighborhood. that will eliminate one part of the equation.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

2.6 ohm. good?

a little higher then i would like to see myself, but ok. be better around 1.8-1.9, but they do vary.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

What a difference a gain makes.

Update, so my multi-meter hasn't been used much since i left the plant maintenance world. It was the meter's batteries. Got to give props to Duracell, when they stamp the date on them, they have it right. The batteries said March 2008. Put some fresh ones in and was able to get the right voltage and it sounds better now. I can turn it up louder; the sub is blending in with the rest of the system nicely. Still need to do some tweaking, but it sounds great now.

here's a pic. i had to cut the back wall covering in order to get it pushed back in as much as possible. i'm going to take the rest out this weekend and clean it up a bit. when i do sound dampening i think i'm going to cover the back wall in matching carpet at least.

img0003kz1.th.jpg

Edited by lillitnn92

It looks very clean. I love the overall look, with the grill :)

Looks great.

So I have this old Bass Mechanix CD, I threw it in the player today to show a friend the new system. I noticed something as it was playing through the tones starting at 20 Hz. where I have the box affixed to the back wall....it was actually making the back wall flex as it was playing. That is just crazy, not in a good way really. I’ll have to find a way to fix that. The shear fact that this little 10 was causing enough momentum during excursion that it was flexing the back wall of my cab, is just nuts. Wish i had good video, crappy camera does video, but quality isn't good enough to even see.