Sign in to follow this  
kickerlivinloud

Designing a 3 way front stage.

Ok well I had this all wrote and and stupid me closed the tab out when I was looking up some info. :dammit: So I shall start again.

Overview:

Ok, I'm planning on getting back into audio (not that I left for long). My past installs have all been geared toward being the loudest possible. My new plan is to try and make my setup geared toward SQ. I'm thinking about doing a 3 way active front stage. I still planning a sub stage but that is not what I'm worried about. I'm just not real sure on how exactly to get my front stage up and running. Now that you have an idea on whats going on, on to some questions.

I plan on piecing my front stage together instead of buying a "kit" or "package" deal. Right now my front stage consists of Rainbow Professional 5.25 comps CS 230 P3 Cal 25 Tweet. I'm looking in to some Rainbow Germanium 6.5. I'm thinking if I get them I'll have them dedicated to mid bass. If not I'm hoping to find some similar 6.5's or even some 8's for mid bass.

My question is, do you need to keep with the same company??

As I stated that I plan to run active. I understand running active and what is going on, I've just never done it so I'm a little lost. I'm planning on using a 4 channel amp, I'm kinda leaning toward some older Phoenix Gold amps TI's.

Next, will I need to buy a processor or a external EQ of some sort? Right now my HU is an Eclipse 8445. I have no clue when it comes to EQ's or processors so I don't have any plans just yet. I'm hoping to get some advise along these lines. I'd prefer not to buy a new HU but if necessary, what would you guys recommend for a good SQ HU that will support an active front stage.

Next would be placement. When running an Active 3 way front stage should they all be placed in the same area, say the door ( mid bass, mid range) and A-pillar (tweet)?? I have a single cab F-150 so I'm somewhat limited placement. Kicks are out of the question b/c of my e-break and space. Would putting my mid bass behind me in stock location be a good idea or not??? I may try to do some fiberglassing also. All depends on what exactly I'll have to work with and what would be the best spots for the speakers.

I think that pretty well covers all my questions. This will take some time to build up b/c I'm slowly saving money up for it. I don't have a real budget set but I'm not worried.

Mine as well add my idea's for my sub stage here to. I'm thinking about getting a IDQ 15 and trying a PR setup. They are rare and would be nice b/c of my space issues. If I am unable to find a PR I will probably try and find a pair of IDQ 10's and just run them sealed. All the crossovers, EQ's/processors (if necessary) and amps will be put in a amp rack of some sort. It should be pretty sweet by then end.

Any help or idea's would be appreciated.

Jon

Run whatever companies you want. I'm sure you'll have a wider variety of speakers to choose from.

You'll need more than 4 channels if you're going to run 3-way active + sub. You'll want a total of 7.

I believe the 8445 can actively crossover 2-way components, not sure about 3-way. You may want to try and find a CD8053 to run 3-way active if the 8445 doesn't do it. Another option are some Alpine decks. Sorry for being vague on that, model numbers escape me at the moment.

Instead of a PR sub setup, try an Infinite baffle instead.

Run whatever companies you want. I'm sure you'll have a wider variety of speakers to choose from.

You'll need more than 4 channels if you're going to run 3-way active + sub. You'll want a total of 7.

I believe the 8445 can actively crossover 2-way components, not sure about 3-way. You may want to try and find a CD8053 to run 3-way active if the 8445 doesn't do it. Another option are some Alpine decks. Sorry for being vague on that, model numbers escape me at the moment.

Instead of a PR sub setup, try an Infinite baffle instead.

I kinda figured the same but I wasn't sure about sticking with the same companies. Your right, I wasn't thinking when I only said a 4 channel. I'm not worried about my sub stage amp at the moment, that I can figure out later. I'll probably try and pick up a pair of PG TI 4 channels or a 4 and a 2. It'll really depend on what I can find.

I'm slightly confused with the difference a 2 way and a 3 way has on the HU. Sorry if these are noobish questions. I've been trying to do as much homework as I can but I didn't want to spend forever looking when I could just ask.

An IB would be fun but I highly doubt I have the space for it. Even if I did, it would be overly complicated build and I'm trying to keep it somewhat simple. Single cab trucks FTL!

Thanks for the quick responce!!

Jon

8445 is the only Eclipse that doesn't have crossovers in the old line. Either way, none of them ever did a 3way+sub for that you need an offboard proc. Until you know what processing you will have and what mounting locations, what power, and so on it is impossible to choose drivers.

8445 is the only Eclipse that doesn't have crossovers in the old line. Either way, none of them ever did a 3way+sub for that you need an offboard proc. Until you know what processing you will have and what mounting locations, what power, and so on it is impossible to choose drivers.

Alright what processor would you recommend with the 8445??? Mounting location can be anywhere, I'd like to put it in the dash with my HU (if space allows). If not I'd be willing to get one that mounts anywhere. I have plans for a amp/crossover/processor/whatever rack in mind. When you mention power, what exactly do you mean???

Again, sorry if these are noobish questions, I'm trying to learn.

Jon

Roughly...

Midbass--$200-250

Processors-- $200-250

Amps--$500

I'm hoping to keep everything under $1K. I'm hoping this will be do able b/c of the fact that I already have a midrange and tweet, an a HU.

Jon

Can't think of any processors under $250, unless you can find a used H701/C701 combo or two Rockford 3SIXTY.1's for cheap.

Can't think of any processors under $250, unless you can find a used H701/C701 combo or two Rockford 3SIXTY.1's for cheap.

What do they normally go for?? Also, do you have to have the C701/H701 combo.

Jon

Edited by kickerlivinloud

If you sold your Eclipse you could get an Alpine h/u to control the H701.

In your domain you are pretty much looking for a Pio P9 combo, H701 with some controller, a Clarion DRZ9255, a Ural CDD, but none of them will be in your budget.

Hmm, This is getting to expensive way to quick. What if I dropped the 3 way and switched to a 2 way? Would I still need to have the processor??? Right now I'm pretty well set on the C701/H701 combo, if it is needed. Or would I just need to find a HU that can handle going 2 way??

Jon

That opens up a lot more options as far as processing goes. You could find a CD8053 (3-way active or 2-way + sub). Or any number of smaller outboard pieces. Audio control makes a few good ones as does Arc Audio.

I'll be using the Alpine PXA-H701 with my IVA-W205, even though I'll only be running 2-way active. It's just a nice piece that keeps everything digital until the amps.

Well I spent some more time looking at different amps and what not. This is what I have come up with so far...

HU: Eclipse 8445

Tweet: Rainbow P3 Cal 25

Mid Range: Rainbow Profile 5.25" CS 230

Mid Bass: Still not sure on these.

Amps: Kicker SX 700.4 / JL 300/2 Black Slash. (I'm hoping to find a 450/4 black slash as well)

Processor: Alpine C701/H701

So far prices look like this...

Mid bass: $???

Amps: $620

Processor:$500

I'll probably start off with a 2 way system leaving out the JL 300/2 and the mid bass to start off with. Hopefully in time I'll be able to afford to pick up the 3 way.

Hows it look so far??? Comments, criticisms....

Jon

Edited by kickerlivinloud

I think you should sell your 8445 and get an active controllable h/u and do a 2 way first. You are really biting off a lot for a first time and most likely without practice you will have better results with just a 2 way.

In a 3 way I wouldn't use a 5.25" mid either, sort of defeats the purpose IMO.

you can't really go from 2-way active to 3-way active without changing the lowend driver to something different. What you might get away with is a 7-8" mid and a 1-2" tweet for your 2-way.

Then just add a 3" midrange later on down the road and change the crossover points.

Of course this is going to require an extremely versatile 7-8" driver.

you can't really go from 2-way active to 3-way active without changing the lowend driver to something different. What you might get away with is a 7-8" mid and a 1-2" tweet for your 2-way.

Then just add a 3" midrange later on down the road and change the crossover points.

Of course this is going to require an extremely versatile 7-8" driver.

Not so sure I'd recommend the same tweet either. Realistically they are two very different things. As always if someone has the premonition to try 3 way and hasn't done a 2 way active, I'd highly recommend buying all used gear so you can try it and sell it in a few months for minimal loss.