flakko

hmmmm...something happened today.

yea man, from the moment i saw this car in the online add, i fell in love with it. although the pictures in the add didnt really match what the car really looked like lol. to be honest tho, it didnt matter. the car was sexy. love the lines. as for the stock jbl, I have 4 more stock speakers on their way over to me im trying to get this stock system to sound as good as possible :) then ill probably screw around with goin after market everything else. wow. thats A LOT of deadening O_O i plan to add more however hehe. id rather have a slow, quiet comfortable ride than a fast loud bumpy one.

as for the exhaust, i dont remember to tell you the truth i THINK the guy said it was from the headers. i gotta call him back to get my car re-painted anyways.

I love the Mark series Lincolns. A buddy of mine had a Mark VII and the top end on it was pretty decent. We took it on a long straight away and the digital speedometer stopped at 85mph but the car kept accelerating and when we ran out of road it took a bit for it to drop below that 85 that the speedometer maxed out at. The mark VII is no match for the Mark VIII though. I drove a buddies Mark 1997 VIII and those things are quick for a luxury car! Same with the Lincoln LS. I drove a v-8 LS with the slap shift and a few engine mods and the big difference between the Marks and the LS is the fact that the LS can handle exceptionally well.

But i personally wouldn't be worried about the speed of your Mark. It's not meant to be a sports car. Just a cruiser with some extra balls. I say maybe get exhaust to give it a little more rumble. Besides that, I'd say stick the money into your active system! :)

I love the Mark series Lincolns. A buddy of mine had a Mark VII and the top end on it was pretty decent. We took it on a long straight away and the digital speedometer stopped at 85mph but the car kept accelerating and when we ran out of road it took a bit for it to drop below that 85 that the speedometer maxed out at. The mark VII is no match for the Mark VIII though. I drove a buddies Mark 1997 VIII and those things are quick for a luxury car! Same with the Lincoln LS. I drove a v-8 LS with the slap shift and a few engine mods and the big difference between the Marks and the LS is the fact that the LS can handle exceptionally well.

But i personally wouldn't be worried about the speed of your Mark. It's not meant to be a sports car. Just a cruiser with some extra balls. I say maybe get exhaust to give it a little more rumble. Besides that, I'd say stick the money into your active system! :)

haha heck yea man. its fun doing that. stupid digitalness. never drove an viii before but to be honest l love the looks of the vii. its a mix of old american gangsta car and modern sports car. i dunno theres something about that vii....

as for the system, its pretty much done. got the speakers, got the sub, got most of the wiring, all i need is the amp and some battery terminals lol

M5, Heads not headers. ;)

Yes the mark 8 is alot faster(300HP)

But the engine tears itself apart because its a weakened cobra engine, the oil pump doesn't pump enough for the engine and the crank is different then the cobra. If you took the time to replace the crank and oil pump its not unusual for that block to take a good solid 6-700 RWHP daily with a charger. Alot more potential then a 5.0.

The 5.0 itself tho is all forged in that year still i believe so the lower end can handle enough boost to toss her in the 500-600 rwhp range. A small charger kit will cost around 2 grand and will give another 80 hp and 100 lflbs of torque. The kits come with everything needed too if you go with a vortech, plus if you want more juice down the road they can be upgraded like i did with mine. Went from a 6psi kit to 14 hehehe.

But the engine tears itself apart because its a weakened cobra engine, the oil pump doesn't pump enough for the engine and the crank is different then the cobra. If you took the time to replace the crank and oil pump its not unusual for that block to take a good solid 6-700 RWHP daily with a charger. Alot more potential then a 5.0.

The 5.0 itself tho is all forged in that year still i believe so the lower end can handle enough boost to toss her in the 500-600 rwhp range. A small charger kit will cost around 2 grand and will give another 80 hp and 100 lflbs of torque. The kits come with everything needed too if you go with a vortech, plus if you want more juice down the road they can be upgraded like i did with mine. Went from a 6psi kit to 14 hehehe.

5.0 block wont handle 500-600rwhp. So thats out.

Boosted that much is a REALLY BAD idea.

Even with a perfect tuned 500rwhp is pushing it way past it limits.

Also, you wont gain 40hp with a set of gt40 heads, even with if you got a explorer motor. Ive seen explorer motors do 270-280wrhp and 320lbfts but that was also with custom grind cams and ported cobra/explorer intake, and all the supporting mods.

But just throwing on the heads/intake or switching motors, wont give you that kind of HP.

I spend alot of time on the Stang forums, since I have a 94 Mustang GT.

I'm looking to find a explorer motor, 99+ with gt40p heads, and putting in my car.

But then Im only adspecting to run 13.5s. (runs 14.1s now).

If you want something fast, IMO, buy a sport car.

You can dump alot of money into that car, and still only run high 13s at most. When you could of spend the same into say a 87-93 lx 5.0 trunk and ran 12s.

Also, was it a Grand Am GT? Ramair?

Cause if it was all those together, they run low 15s.

The gt40 heads and intake will give you around 40 hp. and with a cam to boot it will throw him into a wicked amount of power for a daily driver. And yes the 5.0 will handle 5-600 rwhp if you have the fuel system and computer to back it. He said he has the exhaust to support the heads so the power will come as long as he has coned it to boot. Ile have some timeslips for you this year to boot to prove how much these 5.0's can take. Like i said all forged internals on that engine, and the block itself isnt going to let go after a mere 500 rwhp. Then again he may not be as lucky as me, i got a mexican block (thicker mains) and yes some blocks have cracked at 600 hp but thats also in the build too. The biggest problem with the stock 5.0 for making boosted power is the headbolts.

1987+ fox bodies

"The Cobra used Ford's new GT-40 high performance engine equipment, and was rated at a very conservative 235. Actual horsepower is estimated to be closer to 300."

Just my .02

Chris McDonald

Edited by Chrismcdonald12

The gt40 heads and intake will give you around 40 hp. and with a cam to boot it will throw him into a wicked amount of power for a daily driver. And yes the 5.0 will handle 5-600 rwhp if you have the fuel system and computer to back it. He said he has the exhaust to support the heads so the power will come as long as he has coned it to boot. Ile have some timeslips for you this year to boot to prove how much these 5.0's can take. Like i said all forged internals on that engine, and the block itself isnt going to let go after a mere 500 rwhp. Then again he may not be as lucky as me, i got a mexican block (thicker mains) and yes some blocks have cracked at 600 hp but thats also in the build too. The biggest problem with the stock 5.0 for making boosted power is the headbolts.

1987+ fox bodies

"The Cobra used Ford's new GT-40 high performance engine equipment, and was rated at a very conservative 235. Actual horsepower is estimated to be closer to 300."

Just my .02

Chris McDonald

sorry but a stock 5.0 block will only make 500rwhp after that you get a taco by a taco i mean it cracks the block in half been there done that

i have a 93 hatch 680rwhp and have had 13 5.0's in the last 5 or 6 years all 93 to 87

1987+ fox bodies

Just my .02

Chris McDonald

sorry but a stock 5.0 block will only make 500rwhp after that you get a taco by a taco i mean it cracks the block in half been there done that

i have a 93 hatch 680rwhp and have had 13 5.0's in the last 5 or 6 years all 93 to 87

if you whant a little more power put a short belt ( bypass smog pump) $30 bucks (2) headers shortys around $250 installed (3)upper and lower intake around $400 installed (used) (3) bump the timming to 13 deg. free and you will be happy

Umm, I know but everything other than the headers comes off a 5.0 really, really quickly.

well blitz, ive only had bearings spin on me once i hit the 500 hp range on my 5.0's and ive had 4 blocks as of yet. Yes they can crack but who is building your engines? Were any of them mexican blocks with the thicker mains? And not to mention sportsman blocks are available. I own one of 5.0 HO's pushing over 500 boosted in my area that i know of. They can take the power if you do it right but yes some do blow not all blocks were casted equally. And m5 yeah its weird to think the heads take so long yet everything else takes so little time but theirs a fair bit of small details to take care of when removing the heads not to mention that all the accessories bolt to them.

Forgot to mention the higher nickel content in the Mexican block attributing to its strength.

Edited by Chrismcdonald12

The 305 is all-show no-go as far as V8's are concerned...especially in a car that big. They sound purrrrty though :D

The 305 is all-show no-go as far as V8's are concerned...especially in a car that big. They sound purrrrty though :D

302 plz your going to give the ford guys a stroke

talk about jacking a thread ...................................sorry dude..................and if he where going to spend the money for an a trim vortec get a 331 short block from 1 of 1000 shops that make them whith warrenty for like $2800 now that you mentioned the 347......... then he would be moving

well blitz, ive only had bearings spin on me once i hit the 500 hp range on my 5.0's and ive had 4 blocks as of yet. Yes they can crack but who is building your engines? Were any of them mexican blocks with the thicker mains? And not to mention sportsman blocks are available. I own one of 5.0 HO's pushing over 500 boosted in my area that i know of. They can take the power if you do it right but yes some do blow not all blocks were casted equally. And m5 yeah its weird to think the heads take so long yet everything else takes so little time but theirs a fair bit of small details to take care of when removing the heads not to mention that all the accessories bolt to them.

Forgot to mention the higher nickel content in the Mexican block attributing to its strength.

Funny too, since it only took a few hours to do head gaskets when they went on my 302, albeit in an older car. I know that makes a huge difference, but the Mark VII isn't that junked up with stuff.

haha heck yea man. its fun doing that. stupid digitalness. never drove an viii before but to be honest l love the looks of the vii. its a mix of old american gangsta car and modern sports car. i dunno theres something about that vii....

as for the system, its pretty much done. got the speakers, got the sub, got most of the wiring, all i need is the amp and some battery terminals lol

Oh, I completely agree about the Mark VII's. I love the looks of them. I wanted one for the longest time but I ended up with a 97 Towncar. I still love the TC but i wouldn't mind one of the Mark series Lincolns.

Even better is the 66 Continental with the suicide doors!

Just out of curiosity, what did you end up picking out for your front stage and sub?

I had a chance to by a 66 that needed a new tranny for $500. My 'rents wouldn't front me the money, so the guy sold it. Damn, that is one of my favorite cars of all time.

Oh, I completely agree about the Mark VII's. I love the looks of them. I wanted one for the longest time but I ended up with a 97 Towncar. I still love the TC but i wouldn't mind one of the Mark series Lincolns.

Even better is the 66 Continental with the suicide doors!

Just out of curiosity, what did you end up picking out for your front stage and sub?

oh my front stage is alumapro alc 5.25 + seas neo metal tweets. for the sub, im still deciding. not sure...

Oh yeah, I am dumb. lol You said mentioned the frontstage in a different thread.

But about the sub. Do you have anything in consideration or is it completely up in the air?

Oh yeah, I am dumb. lol You said mentioned the frontstage in a different thread.

But about the sub. Do you have anything in consideration or is it completely up in the air?

well i have 3 subs in the line-up:

1. a sundown sd-1v2 (.95 cubic ft) 3-400w (d4)

2. a 12" oz 300L i have lying around (1.25 cubic ft) 400w (d6)

3. the new mag. (1 cubic ft) 5-800w (d2)

now the oz is the best sounding sub ive ever heard (which is why i still have it :) )

its a toss-up between those 3 subs. i guess ill just run an md1d and see which one i like best lol. im leaning more towards the oz tho.

Man, I could go crazy in here. I feel like I'm on Stangnet. Nice to see some Ford fanatics on this site finally!

Jeremy, the E7TE heads are piss poor as has been mentioned.

The Cobra and GT40 intakes share the same lower plenum only. Upper plenum flows slightly less on the Cobra model compared to the GT40. The Explorer upper does indeed have the same flow potential as the GT40 and will bolt right in place to either lower, but it's looks distinguish it from the GT40. Use of the P heads in the Fox platform will require FRPP P-specific headers.

The MarkVIIIs only had 280-290 (LSC models had 10 extra) horse, not 300. 300 didn't come along until the 96 Cobra. The Marks had the InTech engine with slightly different cam profiles and a different intake in comparison to the 96-98 Cobra. They do share the same Teksid block though(99&01 were WAP). It has already been mentioned that the Lincoln has the cast 6 bolt crank in comparion to the Cobra's 8 bolt.

If you are interested, I have a couple Mark VIII engine/tranny combos and I'd give you a great deal on one, but you're have to find a way to ship it. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle to fit either. Get a K-member from a modular Mustang 96-04, or an aftermarket one, and then get a wiring harness and computer. YOu may also have to get a different crossmember and driveshaft, but I haven't been under a Mark VII in a while. Best bet would be to find a wrecked Mach1 as they were available with the 4R70W as the MarkVIII has. IIRC, they ran the fule lines different as well ala the T-Bird Cougar on the fox platform.