mwoehr

Thinking of a single 15

I'm thinking of just scratching my previous posts and might go for a single 15 ported. I want a loud setup with good SQ. You all probably know what amp I have by now (JBL GTO 1201.1 II puts out 1100 watts at 2 ohms). I'm having a b!tch of a time picking a 15 being there are soo many good ones. So far I want a 15 that'll sound good, get loud and drop low in 3 cubes ported. So far these are what I'm trying to decide between. I know all probably sound good but which would get louder? Also what should I tune to? I plan on placing an order for one of these this weekend.

1 SSA Icon 15

1 SS RL-p 15

1 Fi Q15

they all would be a great choice IMO

ICON will drop lllooooow in a 32hz tuned box and will not let you down in the lows department. Good luck with your choice.

I want a loud setup with good SQ.

Going to depend much more on your front stage than anything else :)

I want a loud setup with good SQ.

Pretty much impossible...

Not it's not, it's called S Q L.

Edited by Jysoe

they all would be a great choice IMO

ICON will drop lllooooow in a 32hz tuned box and will not let you down in the lows department. Good luck with your choice.

Hmmmm, which one of these would get loudest sealed? Just exploring my options. Could any of them get loud sealed?

Not it's not, it's called LSQ.

Loud SQ = the same as SQ, just a higher amplitude.

Reproducing the entire London Symphony Orchestra takes some reference levels to do, but it requires the tweets and midranges to be distortion-free at the same time as the subwoofers :)

flip a coin. all three are excellent subs. i've not heard the q, but i own the rl-p and the ICON, both in 12. and i think the edge in power handling will go with the ICON, sq is a toss up.

yeah, flip a coin, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I would think for SQ sealed would be a better option. Not that ported doesn't sound good...sealed tend to hit lower and have a smoother response. With that kind of power and with the subs you're considering loud is an inevitability. My vote goes for sealed...I have never used the Q or the Icon...but I did build a 3 cube sealed box for an RL-P with about 900rms...and it was loud, low and smooth.

Edited by nstaln

Loud SQ = the same as SQ, just a higher amplitude.

Indeed. Any other definition is wrong.

I'm still pulling my hair out trying to decide on one lol. All 3 are nice looking and from what I hear on here good sounding. Which would be louder in 3 cubes ported then? Could a single 15 sealed get louder than the 2 Orion HP12s or W3D4 12s I had sealed? I know ported, either 15 should be louder but could a ported setup sound good as well? Gerrrr :puzzled: Either way I am going to pick of one of these subs today.

what about a 15 acendant audio havoc!!

Their website says the Havoc is only available in dual 2 ohm and my amp puts out max (1100 watts) at 2 ohms. I need a dual 4 ohm or 1 ohm for my amp. The Havoc does look nice though but it's not for my application. Thanks anyway

flip a coin. all three are excellent subs. i've not heard the q, but i own the rl-p and the ICON, both in 12. and i think the edge in power handling will go with the ICON, sq is a toss up.

yeah, flip a coin, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

What do you mean by power handling will go with the Icon? Do you mean the Icon could take more power or is more efficient? Because I want something that'll get loudest with the power I have, not be starving for more.

Edited by Jysoe

Ok, I have a question and I hope it's not a stupid one. Would one of these single 15s ported in 3 cubes be louder than 2 RL-i 10s ported in 1.2 - 1.35 each or would the RL-i 10s ported be louder due to more surface area?

I think he's saying the ICON is very efficient with a range of power from 500wRMS-1200wRMS. Very versatile driver.

I think he's saying the ICON is very efficient with a range of power from 500wRMS-1200wRMS. Very versatile driver.

I'm buying an Icon right now.

:woot:

Just bought a dual 1 ohm Icon 15! Gonna wire it in series to feed it 1100 watts at 2 ohms from my amp. Thanks for the input and advice everybody!

Edited by Jysoe

:woot:

Just bought a dual 1 ohm Icon 15! Gonna wire it in series to feed it 1100 watts at 2 ohms from my amp. Thanks for the input and advice everybody!

I may be following your footsteps. I'm about to measure my trunk. I will be going sealed though as I doubt I can afford more than 2.5 cubes.

Fi Q and Icon 15 are top on my list.

Damn you guys! I saw this thread and I'm in the same freakin mess! I'm going sealed for SURE, but my choices are Icon, Q, and Magnum (assume all are 12"). SEALED and powered by the old RF 800a2! This amp is only 4Ω stable so it is SUPPOSED to be getting approximately 600-800 RMS. Since the power isn't that high I was leaning towards the new SI Magnum for its SQ reputation while not needing much power, then the SSA Icon for it's good SQ reputation yet still giving you that thump (but haven't heard from a sealed Icon user yet, but hoping Accordman does his review in a sealed enclosure :lurk: ), but the Fi is so damn sexy..... What to DO man what to DO? Oh yeah, I'm new and be nice....

PS: I listen to Soul, R&B, Rap, and some alternative-type-ish Rock. I LOVE good heavy rap bass-lines, but I don't play them NEARLY as often as I play music w/out it!

Edited by zeero3

I am a sealed Icon user, but my POV or review is biased. ;)

Damn you guys! I saw this thread and I'm in the same freakin mess! I'm going sealed for SURE, but my choices are Icon, Q, and Magnum (assume all are 12"). SEALED and powered by the old RF 800a2! This amp is only 4Ω stable so it is SUPPOSED to be getting approximately 600-800 RMS. Since the power isn't that high I was leaning towards the new SI Magnum for its SQ reputation while not needing much power, then the SSA Icon for it's good SQ reputation yet still giving you that thump (but haven't heard from a sealed Icon user yet, but hoping Accordman does his review in a sealed enclosure :lurk: ), but the Fi is so damn sexy..... What to DO man what to DO? Oh yeah, I'm new and be nice....

PS: I listen to Soul, R&B, Rap, and some alternative-type-ish Rock. I LOVE good heavy rap bass-lines, but I don't play them NEARLY as often as I play music w/out it!

I would go with a FI SSD if i were you, just because the SSD requires a little less power than the Q, therefore it would be a lot closer to the power that amp is Actually putting out. And they sound great even being the bottom of the line FI sub, u dont have to worry about that.

I would go with a FI SSD if i were you, just because the SSD requires a little less power than the Q, therefore it would be a lot closer to the power that amp is Actually putting out. And they sound great even being the bottom of the line FI sub, u dont have to worry about that.

I can see you recommending the SSD over the Q because of where you believe the amp's power is at, but would you recommend that Fi sub over the Icon sealed? Please leave room for an amp upgrade WAY down the line...

I am a sealed Icon user, but my POV or review is biased. ;)

i like your pov :)

you've always seemed fair

I think you should do the box 6cf or 7cf with a Huge port FTW

i.e. >>>

P1010575.jpg

P1010538.jpg

2304340720102948253CraVdS_fs.jpg

P1010526.jpg

P1010523.jpg

P1010522.jpg

im a bigg fan of single 15" setups.

im just as loud as guys with 4x 15" setups... :domoslay: