Sign in to follow this  
JimJ

My impressions of the next-gen SI Mag 12

I intend on purchasing the new SI Mag based on testimonials and reputation ALONE, so excuse yourself that I'm asking a question as SIMPLE as the preferred crossover point. BTW, thank you JimJ for your honest, helpful opinion....

;)

One of the major reasons, why you don't cross your subs so high has nothing to do if it can play clean in that range, but so you don't get yourself into localization issues, so Mag or not, no manufacturer will recommend a preferred crossover point of higher than 80hz based on that alone, so unless you like hearing your bass obviously slamming you from the rear and thus ruining your soundstage, you should avoid crossing high. Hope that helps.

On another note, I had an older generation Mag before, and I loved it. I am buying a pair of the new version based on that. If you are buying a Mag based on reputation, there is probably no one on this forum, who does not already think a world of the Mag. I personally have yet to hear a sub, which tops the Mag in my book, and I've gone through many, cause I am hooked on car audio that way, as I try new subs and new sub amps all the time. I have personal experience with my car and cars of friends with high end subs from JL Audio, Adire Audio, Image Dynamics, Arc Audio, Diamond Audio, Focal, CDT, Resonant Engineering, TC Sounds, DIYMA, and many more. Mag was the best of all. I don't know how Nick did it, but he did. And to try all these subs, I have a couple of sub amps to choose from - Arc Audio KS1000.1 and Sundown SAZ1500d. These are my faves, and I've gone through a few.

So, you've got my vote on the Mag!!!

Edited by 1sashenka

Sorry I'm just sensitive like that.

For what it's worth, I value the opinions on this forum. Going w/ a single 12, I was considering a few and narrowed it down to the Icon and the Magnum. Now I know I won't be sorry if I go with the Icon, but with an old 800a2 powering one sub, I'd much rather go with the one that needs less wattage to sound so great, ESP because I can seal it....

Can't wait to get this sub...

Can we have a direct comparison of the New Mag VS let's say... 3 x Focal 21WX???

Kiddin.................

Kiddin.................

I would love to hear one, got one available? :P

There are a few subs I've heard that top the Mag, but you're getting a fractional increase in performance IMO and spending double or triple to get there.

For what it's worth, I value the opinions on this forum. Going w/ a single 12, I was considering a few and narrowed it down to the Icon and the Magnum. Now I know I won't be sorry if I go with the Icon, but with an old 800a2 powering one sub, I'd much rather go with the one that needs less wattage to sound so great, ESP because I can seal it....

Side note, and nothing to do with the MAG, but the Icon does not need tons of power to sound good. There are a few Icon owners running less the 500 watts and love it.

Side note, and nothing to do with the MAG, but the Icon does not need tons of power to sound good. There are a few Icon owners running less the 500 watts and love it.

Oh denim pushing his Icon ;) Funny that he has a Mag in his avatar though, lol.

Not pushing anything, just do not want the wrong impression to be believed.

Not pushing anything, just do not want the wrong impression to be believed.

I was just playing with you anyway, I know you're a good guy.

Denim pushy??? Talk about absurd, he is far from it. Considering his position I find his reservation rather amazing.

Denim pushy??? Talk about absurd, he is far from it. Considering his position I find his reservation rather amazing.

It was just a joke, I know he isn't he's a good guy.