tuckedciv

exursion limits

what are the excursion limits on my rl-p 15? i wouldnt mind knowing for when im letting it wang to keep it on the safe side.

24.6mm is about the end of linear travel, from the specs...

Just keep an ear to it. You'll be able to tell when it's not doing well mechanically...

They're probably talking about the maximum travel allowed by the suspension before something breaks - by that time, you're already well in the non-linear range...Xmax ideally is the maximum linear travel.

Or they're just lying.

Someone who's more familar with the driver can probably answer that, but the short answer is that if your setup is operating in such a way where you'd be worried about that, something is wrong...

Like I said before, listen to it, get to know what it sounds like under normal conditions and you'll be able to instantly tell when something is not right.

Ideally, you shouldn't be running anywhere near mechanical limits anyway...if you are, I think it's time to re-evaluate what you're looking for...either get more cone area or re-work the enclosure...

im only pushing 1kw, never been safer, i was simply curious seens how a t2 can say it has 4 inches peak to peak yet it only has 19 mm of x-max. when someone asks me how much can that thing move i wouldnt mind being abl to state a figure. i live in canada and good quality audio to most ppl here is a w6 or a type r.

thanks

Edited by tuckedciv

im only pushing 1kw, never been safer, i was simply curious seens how a t2 can say it has 4 inches peak to peak yet it only has 19 mm of x-max. when someone asks me how much can that thing move i wouldnt mind being abl to state a figure. i live in canada and good quality audio to most ppl here is a w6 or a type r.

thanks

I've seen my RL-P 12's move about 3 or 3.5in peak to peak while unloaded. Thats probably real close to to mechanical limits.

Even so I wouldn't attempt to push em that far on a regular basis.

thanks

You can even blow them at 1kw....They don't need that much power to drive them, even though they are posted to operate between 500 to 1000 watts rms, that is "peak", not sustained.

I've had to replace two of mine in my HT sub when my wife changed movies. I had 1450 watts per driver and it just took a split second. I'd set your amp gain back to around 800 because they will sound at or near their best at that wattage. This gives you a little room for protection from overdriving them with transients and ultra low bass like rap and dance music. You are walking a thin line to overexcursion and blowing them.

I've cut my gains back on my Alpine 400 watt amp in my truck with the Pioneer shallow mount driver and don't notice any difference. I have room to set the subwoofer bass management lower as well as the bass control for really low bass so I don't blow the driver. It's called driver insurance.... I've got my HT subs now set at 800 watts and I'm more than happy with the output. Some or most amps aren't stable pushed to their limits at sustained levels, so you could get spikes from the amp.

Mike

Edited by mfishmike

Someone who's more familar with the driver can probably answer that, but the short answer is that if your setup is operating in such a way where you'd be worried about that, something is wrong...

Like I said before, listen to it, get to know what it sounds like under normal conditions and you'll be able to instantly tell when something is not right.

Ideally, you shouldn't be running anywhere near mechanical limits anyway...if you are, I think it's time to re-evaluate what you're looking for...either get more cone area or re-work the enclosure...

he nailed it with this post.

and the rl-p should have a 2.5-3" peak to peak movement. and that's walking near the edge, IMO.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

According to a pdf I snatched from TC's old site, for the tc-9 12, Xmag is 26mm and Xsus and Xmax are both 24.2mm.

Now, I don't know how much the Rl-p differs from the standard tc-9. I also don't know how accurate those figures are.

I wonder where I can upload the pdf...

That makes sense, the e12a.22 I have is rated similarly...