nology

Thoughts on the Pioneer DEH-P800PRS

I posted this in another thread but just wanted to share my thought on this unit as well.

Well the store I work at sells both Pioneer and Alpine headunits. I've sold alot of the 980BTs and the older 780s which also had color screen. I've only sold one or two 880prs but i've seen quite a few of them. Noone around here really uses the alpines stuff. That said today i bought a CDA-9887. I had an AVIC-D3. And my favorite feature was the BT.

I sold my D3 before it became problematic. Also this is the reason why i didn't buy an 800prs. Reason being almost all of the Pioneer units that i've sold with the RCA plug in the back (all of the RCAs are on a molex plug that hangs off the deck) have had ground noise issuses developed over time. Not like a little engine noise. ALOT. The AVIC-D3 also uses this RCA plug setup. And recently i've seen a few pioneers that have the standard RCA built into the unit that have been getting engine noise grounding problems.

Needless to say I'm not going to be buying anymore Pioneer headunits until this problem is fixed. And when compaired the CDA-9887 is much cheaper than either the 800PRS or the 980BT

just soder a wire from the rca to the unit chassis and noise goes away. or pull the thing apart and replace the fuse or whatever nonsense is in there

I think it is great. 99% of the ones with ground issues have been part of a faulty install, I know when the first batch come out initially there were some issues but I have seen a lot of really quiet 880 installs and personally think it is a way better all in one solution than anything else out there in the under $400 range.

I picked up 2 the other day for $360 each. One for me and the other for a friend. The options seemed nice but if it doesnt work out I'll switch back to alpine.

I think it is great. 99% of the ones with ground issues have been part of a faulty install, I know when the first batch come out initially there were some issues but I have seen a lot of really quiet 880 installs and personally think it is a way better all in one solution than anything else out there in the under $400 range.

yup but i belive all the pioneers have that issue. Unfortunatly alot of not so smart people tend to come back with the noise issue

But you can't blame a product on an idiot; however, I do know of a couple people that had issues that did things right but as a percentage that number is small.

I have the 880, and I love it. It's making my factory junk speakers sing much more than they ever could have previously.

I'm not sure what this one has over the 880, but I am totaly satisfied, and no humm. I can''t wait to go active either.

I think it blows the alpine out of the water, especialy when it comes to looks. I was sceptical at first and thought it was ugly. It's quite easy to use, and much more intuitive, and in person it's classy to look at vs the alpine which looks good, but makes me feel like I'm using some kind of space ship control and the menues are terrible to me.

i've ran a few pioneer HU's and the 880 that i had, had issues. i'm sure a lot of the problems with others may be because of installs but both mine and ramos's had these issues and while you may doubt my skills i wouldn't doubt his.

also i've used quite a few different head units and NEVER had issues with any of them like the 880 had.

That being said, if the 800 eliminates this problem, i'll be using it in a hearbeat, i loved the 880 with the exception of the noise problem.

/\ you two were obviously the "couple of people" that I knew that had issues. ;)

yea, i just wanted to point that out. and i know that mine was an early model and i think ramos's was as well.

also grounding the RCAs did NOT work on my unit.

hmm probably was a different issue at that point then. I was just stating what ive seen myself.

Thats a really nice looking head unit. I've been using my 880 for 2 years and have had no problems whatsoever. When I saw they came out with the 800 I thought about switching but cant justify switching for just a copper chassis and different looks (hmm I wonder if I can switch face plates).