Sign in to follow this  
todd.brust

Vinyl Cleaner

Well I am looking to get some good Vinyl Cleaner. I am listening to Pink Floyd-Meddle and damn does this record need some cleaning. I have just been using a microfiber cloth to get the dust off but doesn't always work the best. Any suggestion for a product in the reasonable price range or technique? I've seen people clean vinyls using wood glue bat that is far too time consuming and uses lots of glue.

Thanks for any help here :)

For just dust, I use an Audioquest brush running across the LP as it's spinning before I put the tonearm down. Wipe across the surface of the record outward, so it draws all the dust out.

But for deep cleaning (especially important if you're like me and most of your LP collection is used to begin with), you really need to buy or make friends with someone who has an LP cleaner. Sure, you can use a solution like Discwasher and a scrubber to kind of clean them, but once you hear the results of something like a Nitty Gritty or VPI cleaner, you'll never go back. I'm saving up to buy one for myself, paying my friends in beer to do the worst of mine is getting too inconvenient :D

It's amazing how many of the "ticks and pops" people associate with records is just a result of poor cleaning habits...

nittygrittyjatoba.jpg

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ANIT1

I've heard about that wood glue technique also but never tried it, I've got an old Queen album here that could use a cleaning badly, might try it out and see if there's any merit to it...not that I'd attempt it on any record I actually care about...

I had a feeling you would be one of the first to answer this post :) Not too many people i know of here who listen to Vinyls anymore. I saw this DIY record cleaner. Any thoughts JimJ?

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

Oh i tried the glue thing on a completely fudgeed Joe Walsh album. Scratches Galore. It Cleaned it up nicely(got rid of the dust and added a nice glossy shine again) but DOES NOT repair anything. The record skipped in all the same places before where the bad scratches were, but the parts between didn't have as much popping and whatnot due to a lot of the dust being removed.

If Chris Brady builds it, you can bet it probably works :)

He knows what he's talking about...

A friend of mine used a bunch of different devices and said he preferred a steamer for a good deep cleaning. I think you can get small ones at most big stores (Target, Wal Mart, etc) for about $20. He had one of those $500 vacuum based cleaners like the one above as well for normal cleaning.

I'd be a little worried about what too much heat applied to the record would do...that would scare me :)

I ordered some stuff off of ebay for like 15 bucks. I'll see how it works for daily cleaning. If it doesn't, oh well. I'll test it on some vinyls I'm not particularly fond of. And if it doesn't work it's only 15 bucks.

For the deep down cleaning, I may make that contraption i posted above when i have some more money and time. :)

Oh yeah here's the stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RECORD-CLEANER-Vinyl-C...1QQcmdZViewItem