Sign in to follow this  
Derrick824

Check these #s out.

Today I was doing some testing on a new setup and I got some incredible #s out of my Sundown 1500d. It was running @ 0.5ohm pushing a pair of d2 Kicker cvr 15s. A 50hz test tone was used. The output voltage was 42.2v and the clamp meter read 64.1a of current output. Thats 2700watts w/ rise to 0.65 ohms. I couldn't believe it so I moved the clamp and dmm to the input side and got 315a of current draw w/ voltage dropping from 14.3v to 12.8v. 315a * 12.8v = 2700watts of ouput @ 67% efficiency. Am I doing this correct? I'm completely astounded to see 2700watts out of a single 1500d. In case anyone's interested, the setup hit a 147.3 on a TL legal, sealed, mic on the windshield. I'll post a vid up as soon as it uploads.

did you use an oscilloscope when testing for output?

Just the TL. The signal looked as good as it does in the vid above. The only difference was the test #s were w/ a 50hz tone and in the vid I peaked w/ a 45hz tone.

Hmmmm, very interesting to say the least. Only seems possible on the most extreme situation though. Maybe too much tolerance on the measuring equipment itself.

Hmmmm, very interesting to say the least. Only seems possible on the most extreme situation though. Maybe too much tolerance on the measuring equipment itself.

Both the dmm and clamp are made by Craftsman. I don't doubt that they aren't perfect.

never the less, nice amp and nice score

No doubt, 2700 would be awesome from the 1500

did you get the numbers at the exact same time? if not thats why they are so high

The ouput #s (volts and amps) were read at the exact same time then the meters were moved to the input side and both voltage drop and current draw were measured at the same time. These were back to back tests and both hit a 147.3 on the TL.

Also those ouput #s were my peak #s. The clamp was set to hold max and the voltage ouput was the first # I saw pop up on the dmm.

the best score Jake got at 0.35 ohms is 2,245w.

You say you had the clamp set to max hold, that's not a good way to do it.

When both meters are hooked up(try and get em right next to each other), let it burp.

While it's burping, wait for the DMM AND Ammeter to stop moving so much. When the numbers stay stationary, then record those numbers. This may take 2-3 full seconds.

on peak hold doesn't skew output results as much as some think.....

it wouldnt suprise me to see 2700 out of a 1500d, we got 5kw out of a strapped pair pretty regularly

Today I was doing some testing on a new setup and I got some incredible #s out of my Sundown 1500d. It was running @ 0.5ohm pushing a pair of d2 Kicker cvr 15s. A 50hz test tone was used. The output voltage was 42.2v and the clamp meter read 64.1a of current output. Thats 2700watts w/ rise to 0.65 ohms. I couldn't believe it so I moved the clamp and dmm to the input side and got 315a of current draw w/ voltage dropping from 14.3v to 12.8v. 315a * 12.8v = 2700watts of ouput @ 67% efficiency. Am I doing this correct? I'm completely astounded to see 2700watts out of a single 1500d. In case anyone's interested, the setup hit a 147.3 on a TL legal, sealed, mic on the windshield. I'll post a vid up as soon as it uploads.

I believe it may be right!! Lets think about this. The amp is putting out more amps than volts. That means the amp is seeing very little resistance. His box rise is below one. IN THEORY, the amp should put out that much power. Why??...remember his battery voltage fell to rated power. With a rated voltage of 12.8v and a constant 0.65 impedance, the amp, IN THEORY, should put out ~40% more power. And thats what the amp did. As someone else stated, a strapped pair of saz1500 gave over 5000 watts below 1 ohm. Remember this is spl burping not continuous music play. Also remember, with that much amperage going to the subs, soon the coils will be history!! So watch out!!!! Now is it good for the amp?? I'm not sure. But I am sure it is not good for the subs.

Sign in to follow this