mtbdudex

Mike R Home Theatre IB subwoofer project, IB subwoofer's (15"

[Note]

This is a re-post of my "newbie" 3/31/08 post, based on recommendation of member "denim"

Mike R newbie original post

Hi;

I got here via my build thread on "The IB cult site", Mike R DIY IB subwoofer project.

Mike R IB sub project on "Cult of IB" forum

As newbie here this is my 1st post. (well, this is my 2nd post now...)

To make a long story sorta short, I'm finishing my basement and doing a Home Theatre room, and I'm going with Infinite Baffle subwoofer 4 x 15" (or 18") line array.

Here is a pict of that image (details in link above):

IMG_7000.JPG.jpg

I cut the concrete window this past weekend and now I need to fill that hole with a IB line array subwoofer!

16" x 66" IB sub "window" from HT side

IMG_7012.JPG

16" x 66" IB sub "window" from utility room side:

IMG_7011.JPG

Now, I'm at the detail design stage and soon part(s) buying stage.

I'll be back here as I do some research into my IB subwoofer options.

Any advice/part suggestions is appreciated.

I have about $1.1k total budget for this IB subwoofer, that's for 4 subwoofers (15" or possibly now 18"), amp(s), EQ, mounting boards, everything. I ran 2 lines of speaker wire from the AV closet to that location prior to drywall already (14ga/4c each), the run is pretty short about 7-8 feet total.

So, subwoofer speaker recommendations based on that is appreciated, I haven around $550 budget left to spend on the speakers.

For the other components I'm looking at Behringer EuroPower EP2500 Power Amp $349.99, Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer Pro $149.95, Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Microphone $49.99. If you have other options I'm open.

Right now for the subwoofers I'm thinking:

a) As Todd.burst pointed out in my newbie thread: (4) 15" Acoustic Elegance $400 for 4, that will put me under budget AE 15" IB sub

or

b) Go BIG with a 4 x 18" IB line array, design/cut everything for the 4 x 18", however the prices of 18's seem to be around $200/each and that will put me over budget, so go (2) 18" now will keep me in budget (please recommend some IB 18"s for me to study), and add (2) more in future if needed.

Thx,

Mike R

I see that you plan on using the Behringer FBQ2496 and the mic. I have a feeling that you plan on using the Room EQ Wizard? ( http://audiojunkies.com/blog/1163/room-eq-...0-now-available ). I looks like it would be fun to mess around with.

As for sub, I am not familiar with IBs very much at all. I looked at the IB15 to use in a large sealed enclosure(16cu.ft.) but since decided not to for various reasons. The only speakers I know specifically designed for IB use are the AE IB15s and the Fi IB ( http://www.bladeice.com/ibseries.php )

Not sure how those prices covert to USD, but I'm sure you get get in contact with someone from Fi and they can give you a good idea.

Good Luck

Yes, I'm learning by doing, so REQ will be my "friend and guide" in this project, along with the various forum(s) help of course.

I see that you plan on using the Behringer FBQ2496 and the mic. I have a feeling that you plan on using the Room EQ Wizard? ( http://audiojunkies.com/blog/1163/room-eq-...0-now-available ). I looks like it would be fun to mess around with.

As for sub, I am not familiar with IBs very much at all. I looked at the IB15 to use in a large sealed enclosure(16cu.ft.) but since decided not to for various reasons. The only speakers I know specifically designed for IB use are the AE IB15s and the Fi IB ( http://www.bladeice.com/ibseries.php )

Not sure how those prices covert to USD, but I'm sure you get get in contact with someone from Fi and they can give you a good idea.

Good Luck

I am going to stay tuned, good luck with the project. :)

Awesome. Let us know what you end up choosing for subs and definitely give a build log once the build starts :)

Go with 18's. Four now, along with a BFD and an EP-2500 will run about $1200. Use a Radio Shack SPL meter and Microsoft Excel to plot your sub's frequency response. Later add the hardware for Room EQ Wizard ($50 mic, $200 sound card, mic cable & MIDI cable). Then you can get more accurate with your calibration.

I'm going with four 18's and may go to six. Why wonder if you are getting the best best bass possible.

-Robert

Edited by Robert_J

I'd look into Mach 5 Audio IXL 18.4. Right now, you could afford two drivers and honestly, I don't know if you'll need more than that, but and upgrade to four drivers will definitly shake the foundations of your home. Note: they are available in 4 ohm ONLY. A pair will have to be wired to 8 ohm for the EP2500 to handle. You won't be able to utilize the full potential of the amp until you get all four and can wire back to 4 ohm.

I ended up ordering 4 AE IB15's, my budget for this project was $1.1k, I ended up spending $1.2k.

The 15's will be easier for me to seamlessly mount into the 4 line array.

-$437 (4) AE IB15's delivered

-$611 for Parts Express stuff

Jasper Circle Jig 200 & 400 Combo $54.90

Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Mic $49.99

Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destro $149.99

Behringer EP2500 Europower Power $349.99

UPS Ground $6.98

TOTAL: $611.85

-$164.97 Musician's Friend

Live Wire XLR Microphone Cable 20 Foot $14.99

M-Audio MobilePre USB Portable Audio Interface $129.99

Musicians Gear Tripod Mic Stand with Telescoping Boom Black $19.99

While not the big 18's, I'm sure these will still do my Home Theater proud!

NICE. I am a bit more than excited to see a project like this. 100 bucks over budget isn't too bad.

When is the build going to start?

NICE. I am a bit more than excited to see a project like this. 100 bucks over budget isn't too bad.

When is the build going to start?

Well;

I'd have to say the build officially started on Sat 3/29/08, that is when I 100% committed to a IB subwoofer and "cut concrete" for the IB to breathe into the utility room.

The speaker mtg construction phase will be this weekend (4/26).

I'll post update pict in progress.

(this IB subwoofer is holding up me finishing the rest of the basement and HT, so now it's gotta get done).

I have a build thread at The IB Cult forum, however I want to post here my finished product.

(well, I have to make the rectangular speaker cover still)

Here is my line array built with 4 x AE IB15's, my first DIY speaker project.

IMG_7818.JPG

I've named this IB subwoofer "Usul", because I had to cut thru rock (concrete foundation wall) to make this project a reality:

IMG_7011.JPGIMG_7012.JPG

Carpeting and wall acoustic treatments are a few weeks away.

Yet I am so please with the sound quality, clean, powerful bass presense.

Anyone considering to build a IB sub I highly recommend the AE IB15's, great value for the $$'s.

My total investment is around $1.3k, speakers, amp, EQ, mounting boards, hardware, speaker grille cloth, etc.

I am driving them with the Behringer EP2500 Europower Power Amp, EQ Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer (not dialed in yet)

Awesome!! Looking forward to seeing what you do with your room treatments. Please be sure to post them here as well!

That's so....I'm jealous! I was wondering if you were going to post some more pictures. Looks great.

How does that Room EQ with the Feedback Destroyer work? I saw an article on it and it looked like a neat program. Keep us posted. I'd love to see more pictures!

I can't wait until the day I get my own house.

Here are some YouTube videos I made of my just completed Infinite Baffle line array subwoofer 4 x 15" AE IB15's in action.

(still a few week before carpeting/other, excuse the messy look)

Kinda dorky play-by-play ;), I was watching/listening to the DD 5.1 demo DVD I got from CES 2006 and the LFE's in there are quite neat, good selection of clips and it was "free".

This video show my 4 speaker line array Infinitely Baffled Subwoofer speakers up close, you can see lots of subwoofer cone movement action:

This video show my 4 speaker line array Infinitely Baffled Subwoofer from back of Home Theatre for wide view

This video show my 4 speaker line array Infinitely Baffled Subwoofer backchamber area (for the geeky/techno people who care this aspect)

How does that Room EQ with the Feedback Destroyer work?
The software coupled with the right hardware (quality sound card and mic), it will measure the frequency response in-room like like an RTA. But it adds additional measurements like waterfall graphs (response over time). If your PC has a MIDI connection, you can also adjust your BFD via the software in real time and see how each change impacts the response. I've even seen people measure the frequency response of a sub amp to determine where the sub-sonic filter was set at.
I can't wait until the day I get my own house.
I question my sanity every time I make a mortgage payment or do yard work.

Cool videos mike. Your play by play is better than the audio portion. I've heard/felt a few of those clips so I know exactly what you are talking about.

-Robert

I have a build thread at The IB Cult forum, however I want to post here my finished product.

(well, I have to make the rectangular speaker cover still)

Here is my line array built with 4 x AE IB15's, my first DIY speaker project.

IMG_7818.JPG

I've named this IB subwoofer "Usul", because I had to cut thru rock (concrete foundation wall) to make this project a reality:

IMG_7011.JPGIMG_7012.JPG

Carpeting and wall acoustic treatments are a few weeks away.

Yet I am so please with the sound quality, clean, powerful bass presense.

Anyone considering to build a IB sub I highly recommend the AE IB15's, great value for the $$'s.

My total investment is around $1.3k, speakers, amp, EQ, mounting boards, hardware, speaker grille cloth, etc.

I am driving them with the Behringer EP2500 Europower Power Amp, EQ Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer (not dialed in yet)

I have read your log over on the cult. Nice work. I am an IB fanatic myself.

Just an update on my IB project.

I did turn my 2nd row seat riser into a Bass trap am very satisfied with that:

2nd Row seat riser Bass Trap

And here is my favorite YouTube video for us Bass-aholics!

Here are the 34 seconds of the final fight scene in K-F-P, where Panda is fighting Tiger. 126db @ last part, the famous wa-tu-shi finger hold scene!!

You can see red LED on my FBQ2496 lite up very briefly.

The 4 x AE-IB15 line array IB sub is a signature piece of our home theater, people are amazed at its sound quality.

I so much love this scene: "I am the Kung Fu Panda, and figured it out all by myself!"

KFP%20Wushi%20Finger%20Hold2.jpg

this is great!

Some house down the road I will have an IB set up I think, just to try it out. Being in my basement makes it impossible.

=P

You have done a GREAT job sir.

Amazing. This makes me want to watch that movie again.