Sign in to follow this  
philsteroni

"the big 3" question

sup guy! my friend hooked me up real good with an mtx te4001d amp which has 2200rms at 2 ohs. theres just one problem. i'm a cheap bastard.1) i would first like to know if i should get a bl or btl12 with this amount of power. 2) i also would like to know if i will get away with running 2200 watts with just doing "the big 3" and at most buying one of them "marine batteries" (i have a 80 amp alt). i would like to avoid buying a high powered alternator if its possible.

let me know what you guys think!

Edited by Triple_P

sup guy! my friend hooked me up real good with an mtx te4001d amp which has 2200rms at 2 ohs. theres just one problem. i'm a cheap bastard.1) i would first like to know if i should get a bl or btl12 with this amount of power. 2) i also would like to know if i will get away with running 2200 watts with just doing "the big 3" and at most buying one of them "marine batteries" (i have a 80 amp alt). i would like to avoid buying a high powered alternator if its possible.

let me know what you guys think!

1ohm=3750

2ohm=2200

4ohm=1250

AT 14.4v i doubt you will have 14.v volts on stock alt with a additional battery..so eiter just do it and see how bad your lights dim and they will..or sell that amp use the money to buy you another amp,sub and a high output alt..

Edited by denalilvr

With an 80 amp alternator....you may want to look at lower power handling subs. Adding more batteries is just going to prolong the time it takes for your alternator to crap out.

I'd say save up for a new alternator first if you want to use that much power

I'd say get a high output alternator if you are wanting to run that kind of power, even since that 2200 at 2 ohm is a 14.4V like denaillvr stated.

By adding a 2nd and possibly 3rd battery...your straining the alternator that much harder to charge the extra batteriers and stock alternators dont keep up that well at least not on my car.

I gained 1 dB switching alternators. Load Boss is a good place to check out as well as Excessive ampergae..both are reasonably priced with good products. Once you do it.. you'l be like "Man, this is a big improvement." As well as it will charge your extra batteriers and keep your voltage up so it doesn't dip too low and cause an electrical fire. :)

Hope this helps.

ok ok but assuming i dont blast my system all the time and just keep its full power to show off a couple good songs, my plan should work right?

big three 2 cells and a single BL

just cause you have an amp that can make that kinda power does not mean you have to use that much power.... i have a saz 3000d..... dont mean i have it pushin 3000 watts... i have it pusing some where around 2000 and its cool as a cucumber all day.

Edited by bigjon

ok ok but assuming i dont blast my system all the time and just keep its full power to show off a couple good songs, my plan should work right?

we can speculate all day but really only 1 way to truly find out what will happen..well we know what will happen but the question is how long will it take to happen..

how many watts can a bl handle anyways? cause 2000watts is the max i plan to go, so i would probably be better off getting a bl if you're saying you run 2000 watts daily on a bl

how many watts can a bl handle anyways? cause 2000watts is the max i plan to go, so i would probably be better off getting a bl if you're saying you run 2000 watts daily on a bl

i run about 1300 daily... .. but i love my subs... maybe thay can take more... maybe thay cant..... i donno...... from what i have read thay can take 2300 in burps all day... but i donno if i wanna try it on my dime.

Like denalilvr has stated....its how long that alternator is going to live...mine was close to crapping out before I changed it.

Keep the gains down...and you might prolong the life of it, but it will still be shortlived.

Just because that amp is pushing out 2200 watts on 2 ohms doesn't mean you have to utilize it all. Hell I have 2 1500D's strapped together for 3000 watts RMS, but I've got them turned way down for street beat. Maybe 2000 watts total. And with your stock electrical system, you will be nowhere near 14.4v to see that claimed 2200 watts anyways. Especially on some long hard notes.

Do yourself a favor and get a bigger alternator now, so you don't have this problem in the future while your driving down the road and your alternator decides to crap out. :)

i hear what ya'll are saying...its not a question of if my system will handle it (it will), its more of a question of when will my alt go (it will). anyone know of any site that sells high out put alts for not too expensive? i've also considered trying to retrofit a second stock alt into my car system, has anyone every heard of this being done?

With a lot of modifying and crap, you can do a two alternator setup, that will out put the same as 1 H/O alternator.

But why not by the H/O alternaotr? By the time your done buying all brackets and fabrication an buying a 2nd stock alternator..you will probably have spent what you would have on a new H?O alternator and you wont have all the headaches of rigging up brackets and whatnot.

Google Alterstart alternators....online store for LOAD BOSS alts....they are right in my backyard(Dallas). So it was easy for me to go get one, and they are reasonably priced. :neil:

No but it would be better. Like the marine battery you were talking about.

I say, just buy a yellow top optima and put it near your amplifier and it will love it..should be all you need for what it sounds like you want to do.

Yes.

But your alt will eventually die. Replace with a H/O unit when it does and you'll be set! That alterstart place gave me a great price, give them a call.

do i have to upgrade or buy another battery if i get a h/o alt?

to play if safe with that amp and to get the most out of your system i suggest a high output alt with 2 batteries under the hood the factory one and another yellow top at the minimum and if you got another $200 laying around do another battery in the back..i mean if your going to do it may has well do it right from the start dont half ass it bro..i know it may take a lil longer to save up for it but believe me its well worth it for yourself and your car..remember you need your car..if your fry your alt there goes your transportation to work/school/msl..its like building a house..first you need a good foundation before you can add special features..