Sign in to follow this  
thedukey42

Bad Reciever?

So i just got my behringer ep2500 today and hooked it up a couple minutes ago to my xxx. I bought some rca to 1/4" converters and turned the reciever on to hear the beast.

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

That's the only noise I can get, when I connect my ipod the sub plays fine, but when I connect the amp to the sub output of this older sony reciever (1999 if i had to guess )

I tried using my dad's bash300 amp and got the exact same noise from the reciever.

Just wondering if anyone has any clue as to what I'm doing wrong or what is causing this problem.

thanks

Sounds like you might be getting a ground loop...have you tried plugging the amps into different outlets?

The bash amp is plugged into a different outlet than the behringer and both made the sound. I connected my ipod and it played fine, no noise at all.

On a side note the clip light would come on very quickly, at about 1/8 gain. Is this normal for those that have ever had these amps?

thanks for the help jim

Try plugging the receiver in with a "cheater" plug, one that turns the 3-prong plug into a 2-prong. If the noise goes away, you have a ground loop on your hands...it's not safe to run it permanently like that, though.

Or the receiver's sub outs are hosed...

Try plugging the receiver in with a "cheater" plug, one that turns the 3-prong plug into a 2-prong. If the noise goes away, you have a ground loop on your hands...it's not safe to run it permanently like that, though.

Or the receiver's sub outs are hosed...

I'm thinking the sub outs are hosed. There is no ground loop lug on the back and I can't get rid of this noise at all. I now notice the noise is also in my mids, which are running directly off of the receiver.

Any recommendations on a new bargain receiver I could buy for my dad? I really wanted to have him watch the final four games w/ the mids and sub, but now it looks like tv speakers will have to do :( lol

thanks again for your help jim

OH and i went to use the cheater plug, but the outputs on the reciever is 2 prong, I still tried it and it still made the noise, so, who knows.

Since it is two prong try plugging it in the other way. If it won't fit, use a cheater plug and grind down the bigger tab so it can go in the "wrong" way. Sometimes that helsp.