stratusrt01

Initial SPL 12 SPL testing

1st round was done in my Stratus, in a 2.5 cubic ft. box, tuned to 40hz. Burp freq was 44hz for all subs, they all peaked at the same freq in my car, just like every other subwoofer that's been in there.

Here's the average numbers for each sub. I'm compiling a spreadsheet with every test individually tonight, when I finish testing.

1st test on a single SAZ-3000d, 300 amp alternator, Stinger 2150 battery, all run at 1 ohm, except for the DD 9512, which was done at .5 ohms, due to coil configuration on the only one I could get for this weekend. 5 burps were done on each sub, given appropriate cooldown in between burps.

RE MT - 146.4

SPL 12 - 146.4

DD 9512 - 146.3

IA DP - 145.9

2nd test was on a single SAZ-3000d, starting voltage at 17.7v, dropping to an average of 14.3v. Same enclosure, same freq, same vehicle. 4 8V batteries were used to provide power. Clamped at 4998 watts for this test, so we'll call it a 5k watt test.

RE MT - 148.3

DD 9512 - 148.2

SPL 12 - 148.2

IA DP - Test did not finish due to sub reaching it's mechanical limits.

Testing remaining is to try a 3.5 cubic ft box, which I've heard the SPL 12 likes a lot. We'll get that accomplished tonight hopefully. If I don't feel it can be completed tonight, I'll hold all testing until Tuesday on all subs, so that conditions are exactly the same, and accurate results can be posted.

Now for my opinions on the testing that the numbers don't show. On 3k watts, all subs handled the power with no problems. During the listening tests on 3k, some major differences appeared however. The MT and SPL 12 played just fine, both sounded good, and would hit any note thrown at it, even tuned at 40 hz. Both had minimal to no mechanical noise, and sounded as good as I can expect an SPL sub to sound. However, the DD's were very mechanical sounding, and while still loud, they really sounded the same on every note, no major tonal differences. The DP on 3k on music was pushing it, however it didn't get dangerously hot until after about 14 minutes of play time. However, on low notes, it just wasn't happy tuned to 40hz compared to the rest for music.

On 5k watt burp testing, the MT and DD were at their wits end at 44hz. I wouldn't have wanted to go up too much more on these subs, considering they are not mine. The SPL 12 seemed to handle this power level the easiest at my burp frequency, which is impressive, given the range of subwoofers. The DP upon the 3rd burp at this power level started making some nasty mechanical noise, so testing was halted on it, and it will not be included in the 65hz testing tonight or Tuesday. I don't know if I just took it past it's limits, or it's possible that it was a freak accident, which isn't normal from the sub's behavior. When I had my DP, I never took it above 3k watts, so I just don't know, we'll see what happened when I cut the sub apart later this evening or tomorrow.

Edited by stratusrt01

But there is no pole vent on the SPL12....how can it possibly take that much power?

;)

Thanks for the results! I'm impressed by the SPL12.

But there is no pole vent on the SPL12....how can it possibly take that much power?

;)

You crack me up sometimes man. There's no pole vent on one of the other subwoofers also.......lol

Impressive numbers man.

Good work!!!!

J

Good work my friend! :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this and post the results. You earned your stars... :)

the Db results that you got posted here, did you test these subs in the order that you posted them?

Because if you did, it appears that the voltage was dropping more and more which would indicate the batteries not being fully charged for the next test.

the Db results that you got posted here, did you test these subs in the order that you posted them?

Because if you did, it appears that the voltage was dropping more and more which would indicate the batteries not being fully charged for the next test.

No, they were not in order at all, we were mixing and matching all day. And the batteries were recharged fully and rested in between each run. Remember, this is 2 full day's work to post the numbers listed here.

was the 9512 just a standard one, or did it have any upgrades?

The only upgrades would be composite cone and carbon fiber cap. The composite doesn't even really make a difference on the 12's SPL numbers until you get well over the power we were testing at, and at higher frequencies. It also had an advantage, being dual 1, when the other subs were dual 2 ohm.

Can you try them in a smaller box, such as 1.5-1.75? Many of the DD users find that they are very good in smaller boxes.

Can you try them in a smaller box, such as 1.5-1.75? Many of the DD users find that they are very good in smaller boxes.

The place I work at is a DD dealer, and I'll tell you they only work in that small of a box well if the burp frequency is high, which mine isn't. I could try them out in a smaller box though, but the numbers would more than likely go down for all subs.

The DD drivers are better in small boxes because they don't have the linear throw for high output in larger boxes. Maybe that's a plus for some...not for me.

hehe, that's funny that you say that because DD and AQ are all about saying tiny boxes = tiny output, the larger the box you put our sub in, the larger your output will be.

hehe, that's funny that you say that because DD and AQ are all about saying tiny boxes = tiny output, the larger the box you put our sub in, the larger your output will be.

You're talking about music though, this is burps only, a totally different animal.

You're talking about music though, this is burps only, a totally different animal.

Bingo. :)

its interesting that all the subs peaked at the same frequency in your car, in my car i lost HUGE doing a straight drop in of a 9512 into my MT's box due to one playing port and the other playing excursion, the 9512 did not like my enclosure at all.

Guest zedman

Sweet results. thanks for the work on the comparison.

Thanks for posting up the numbers Rich. Look forward to the results in the larger box.

its interesting that all the subs peaked at the same frequency in your car, in my car i lost HUGE doing a straight drop in of a 9512 into my MT's box due to one playing port and the other playing excursion, the 9512 did not like my enclosure at all.

My car has a huge peak at 44hz, no matter what the enclosure or subwoofer is. With the pair of SD-1 10's, 44hz. With the Magnum, 44hz, with the DD 9510's, 44hz. It never changes, no matter what I put in there, it's just the nature of my vehicle, I assume.

I'm sure each of the subs could have seen a few more tenths, if I had the time to test and tune each one, and build 3 or 4 boxes for each one, there's no question about that. This test was just to show the potential of the Mach 5 SPL 12 as compared to the other "big boy" SPL subs on the market. Honestly, I expected there to be a larger gap between all the subs, but it just didn't happen that way, for whatever reason. The reason I began with a simple 2.5 cubic ft box, tuned to 40hz, is because 90% of the time, 2.5 works well for all 12" subs, maybe not optimal, but works well.

I figured that 2.5 cubic ft at 40hz would be a good base, just to show the capabilities. This doesn't mean with proper testing, you couldn't get much better numbers with any of the subs, and that one sub might be better in certain situations than the others. I tried to remove those variables as much as possible.

Personally, I believe that any of these subs are winners. Pick the one you want to work with and go with it. However, now I see the Mach 5 as an equal to the MT and 9500, where before I saw it as a budget SPL sub, good for someone who couldn't afford an MT or 9500. Now I would buy the SPL 12 in the same regards, after seeing it perform.

Edited by stratusrt01

Great read :slayer:

??? who makes the SPL 12" ???

The threads in Mach 5. I had never even heard if this company before SSA... but they seam to make things happen

Edited by dem beats