01 S 10

RL-p18 power handling...

My RL-p18 is arriving tomorrow, the box i am going to build will be 5.3ish cf tuned to probably 29hz. This will be a dual-2 model running off a Sundown SAZ1500 @ 1 ohm.

Will 1500+ rms be o.k. for the RL-p in this size box? the box will have about 60 sq inches of port, will that be enough?

btw, i used the RE box calculator to mess around with some designs. I have heard that their tuning is a little off, does anyone know about how much so i can compensate for it?

sorry about all the questions, I just dont want to eff up the sub

Thanks,

Cody

Edited by 01 S 10

i havent gotten the time to test their calculator yet but because that calculator is ONLY for L shaped slot ports, standard port length calculators, including ones in software will actually be wrong unless they have a specific selection for L port calculation.

In a slot port, part of the physical length requirement is actually acoustical length because slot port shares a wall which makes the acoustical length longer and the physical length shorter.

This is why people may say their calculator may say use a port length shorter than expected.

Don't quote me 100% as that's what it's doing because i havent got time to compare it yet.

but pretty much since it is a slot port and RE is definetely calculating/designing a slot port, it should be pretty accurate right?

you would think so.... why would they still have it up there?

The only thing i have noticed is telling the program what size width your port is.

I think the port width is external which is 100% retarded if that's true.

It looks like it is from the picture...

Type in 0.75" as port width, it looks like the wood walls join completely, that's what i am talkin about.

well i built a standard slot ported box today, 5.5 cubes tuned to 29 hz... sounds reallyyy good. But is there a break in period on the woofer? it seemed like after about 15 minutes of listening it was slowly getting louder... is this correct?

Edited by 01 S 10

break in of speakers is an amazingly heated argument with people on both sides of the fence.....

Not really.

Break-in of speakers happens, it's a fact, it happens with normal use. The misconception occurs when people think that you're supposed to do something special with them to break them in...

don't have time to read all that link but you will only notice a difference if the driver was fresh when you got it then broken in at a later date.

If it comes broken in then you should never notice a difference.

All the things about how to break a sub in, all that is bullcrap.

There is no need to baby a sub forever before wangin on it...

If everything is set right, let it rip.

The longer you baby a sub during a "break-in period", the longer it takes to break it in.

i agree, this was BNIB, so i did notice a difference after 30 minutes, and now 2 days later im still noticing changes slightly. It is picking up lower frequencys better, it was a little stiff at first.