okay, heres the score: i have two RE SX 12D2's i purchased. I wanna power them with 2 Sundown Audio 1500's. I have a stock alternator and it pushes about 160 amps. ive searched for another alt but they dont have one for my vehicle. I was told to purchase a seperate battery but i know its just another load on the alternatorso my question is would it be better to purchase one big capacitor, (i.e. a 10 or 20 farad) or just purchase another battery? thanx

ohio generators

excessive amperage

powermaster

all 3 dont make a alt for your car?

yea. i have an 03 ford taurus...sux right? lol

damn ya that sux..lol how about iraggi?

Never checked. Honestly, i know there is a company that makes a alt for my car. i just know its gonna be extremely high priced and if i dont have to spend that kinda money, i wont. thats why i asked about using a massive cap.....

cap is just a waste bottom line..battery will put more of strain on your alt...this stuff is expensive but its worth it..

cap is just a waste bottom line..battery will put more of strain on your alt...this stuff is expensive but its worth it..

but if a extra bat is gonna strain the alt why do it when i can get a 10 farad stinger cap?

but if a extra bat is gonna strain the alt why do it when i can get a 10 farad stinger cap?

its a waste of money bro..you wont get the results from it to justify the price of one..

its a waste of money bro..you wont get the results from it to justify the price of one..

and extra bat is an additional load on the alt. im concerned about the charging system but if adding an additional bat is gonna cause me more problems, wouldnt it be easier to just get the cap?

Get Kinetik Audio batteries.

This was taken from their site-

I heard that adding more batteries to my car will lower the voltage and is harder on my alternator, is this true?

Adding multiple Kinetik Power Cells to a vehicle will not add extra load on your alternator or lower you voltage in your car like adding

caps are good for use in the following scenarios-

using bass amps that use unregulated power supplies.

You have enough alt power to run your entire audio system.

If you fit BOTH of those categories, then by all means get some.

You can actually have regulated amps too as long as you have enough alt power behind it.

Caps discharge very quickly so what is this good for?

This is good for those quick hard hittin bass notes, to get more power to your amps so they discharge more power to your sub(s).

Caps aren't like batts so constant bass lines will cause a cap to drain in no time. It is then up to the alt to charge it back up and run the audio system. Strong enough alt setup can do this but once the cap is drained, the bass line will lose power for a little bit until the cap is recharged. This is why it's suggested to use LARGE cap banks nowadays when running large alt setups. Such as 100-200F minimum.

For unregulated amps, when your voltage dips, the caps can help keep that voltage up for a quick spurt but, again, only if your alt setup is powerful enough to run the whole audio system by itself.

Batts are a LOT slower at discharging. think of them as voltage regulators and think of caps as split second last resort power.

Batts will help keep the voltage up higher because they have a helluva longer reserve time than a cap does by FARRRRRR.

It is always suggested that you upgrade and\or add alt(s) and\or batts when installing an audio system that needs an electrical system upgrade but batts definitely over caps.

I would suggest calling Iraggi though before buying batts.

His average alt costs less than $320 shipped and that should give you around 200a worth of power so see if he can make one for ur ride. I know he's the only one who can make one for my ride that i have found out of all the big names out there.

As far as I know batteries charge with about 10% of they capacity. So, if you have a 120Ah battery you will need a constant 12A current to charge it. Someone correct me if it's wrong :)

caps are good for use in the following scenarios-

using bass amps that use unregulated power supplies.

You have enough alt power to run your entire audio system.

If you fit BOTH of those categories, then by all means get some.

You can actually have regulated amps too as long as you have enough alt power behind it.

Caps discharge very quickly so what is this good for?

This is good for those quick hard hittin bass notes, to get more power to your amps so they discharge more power to your sub(s).

Caps aren't like batts so constant bass lines will cause a cap to drain in no time. It is then up to the alt to charge it back up and run the audio system. Strong enough alt setup can do this but once the cap is drained, the bass line will lose power for a little bit until the cap is recharged. This is why it's suggested to use LARGE cap banks nowadays when running large alt setups. Such as 100-200F minimum.

For unregulated amps, when your voltage dips, the caps can help keep that voltage up for a quick spurt but, again, only if your alt setup is powerful enough to run the whole audio system by itself.

Batts are a LOT slower at discharging. think of them as voltage regulators and think of caps as split second last resort power.

Batts will help keep the voltage up higher because they have a helluva longer reserve time than a cap does by FARRRRRR.

It is always suggested that you upgrade and\or add alt(s) and\or batts when installing an audio system that needs an electrical system upgrade but batts definitely over caps.

I would suggest calling Iraggi though before buying batts.

His average alt costs less than $320 shipped and that should give you around 200a worth of power so see if he can make one for ur ride. I know he's the only one who can make one for my ride that i have found out of all the big names out there.

This brings me to a very intersting question. No one has been able to give me the straight and narrow on regulated amps versus unregulated amps. whats the difference? is one better than the other? is one easier on a charging system than the other?

They are almost always less efficient and therefore by definition harder on your charging system.

Capacitors cannot provide electrons any faster than a battery. Physics dictates that. The internal resistance of most large farad capacitors is absolutely appalling as well.

If you have a dimming problem, you need to increase your alternators charging ability, anything else is a Barney bandaid.

As far as I know batteries charge with about 10% of they capacity. So, if you have a 120Ah battery you will need a constant 12A current to charge it. Someone correct me if it's wrong :)

A charged battery draws less than 1A to stay fully charged. The amount of current being draw to charge a discharged battery is proportional to the amount of the capacity that has been drained from it. Deeply discharge is and it presents a larger load on the alt while charging. Keep it from discharging too much and it isn't much of a load. The amount of discharging that occurs with the car running is going to be almost negligible as a result the gain from an additional battery is huge compared to the "strain" it places on the alt.

A cap is just a waste. A cap wants to recharge just as fast as it discharged. Therefore if you take a lot of current from it, it will try to pull a lot of current back as soon as the voltage of the system gets above the current charge of the cap. If you look at the voltage over time of a system playing music with a cap installed, the peak voltage doesn't return to what it is before the stereo is turned up. With no cap it will go back to the higher peak voltage. Add to that the fact that a cap can't provide nearly the current of a battery for nearly as long and costs as much if not more...

A charged battery draws less than 1A to stay fully charged. The amount of current being draw to charge a discharged battery is proportional to the amount of the capacity that has been drained from it. Deeply discharge is and it presents a larger load on the alt while charging. Keep it from discharging too much and it isn't much of a load. The amount of discharging that occurs with the car running is going to be almost negligible as a result the gain from an additional battery is huge compared to the "strain" it places on the alt.

A cap is just a waste. A cap wants to recharge just as fast as it discharged. Therefore if you take a lot of current from it, it will try to pull a lot of current back as soon as the voltage of the system gets above the current charge of the cap. If you look at the voltage over time of a system playing music with a cap installed, the peak voltage doesn't return to what it is before the stereo is turned up. With no cap it will go back to the higher peak voltage. Add to that the fact that a cap can't provide nearly the current of a battery for nearly as long and costs as much if not more...

:thanx:

They are almost always less efficient and therefore by definition harder on your charging system.

regulated or unregulated? im not following u.......