Sign in to follow this  
Chevy350TPI

Laptop Suggestions

I got a laptop a couple years ago and now I primarily use it at work or for work-related things.

So, now I am looking for something else.

No games, no movies, little music ... mainly used for Word/Excel documents and surfing the internet. 17" screen would be great. Price range - somewhere around $1500?

Anyone have any suggestions? I have been completely out of the game since I bought mine two years ago so I am unsure as to what is regarded as the best right now. Is it still down to the whole AMD vs. Intel Core 2 Due thing?

To be honest I have not looked around much, but I was wondering if anyone had anything off the top of their heads. I will get some model numbers up soon for specific opinions.

Just browse Newegg for a good deal. That's a hell of a budget for a machine that will never break a sweat.

I got a laptop a couple years ago and now I primarily use it at work or for work-related things.

So, now I am looking for something else.

No games, no movies, little music ... mainly used for Word/Excel documents and surfing the internet. 17" screen would be great. Price range - somewhere around $1500?

Anyone have any suggestions? I have been completely out of the game since I bought mine two years ago so I am unsure as to what is regarded as the best right now. Is it still down to the whole AMD vs. Intel Core 2 Due thing?

To be honest I have not looked around much, but I was wondering if anyone had anything off the top of their heads. I will get some model numbers up soon for specific opinions.

Some questions that will better narrow down your choices:

• * Do you like to lounge around with your laptop or do you prefer a desk?
    * Do you need good customer support, or are you comfortable scouring the web for help?
    * Do you like to upgrade your system or leave it intact?
    * Do you use any specialized 3rd-party software that comes in a box (besides Word/Excel)?
    * Do you consider yourself a "power user"?

-fp

Well, Steve's in Canada, so none of those models are available to him.

I recommend the HP 6820S Business laptop at Staples ... On sale for $850 right now ... Will meet all those demands and then some ... and it comes w/ both Vista Business and XP Professional, so you can choose which one you like better (Personally, I like Vista better, but to each their own).

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....;affixedcode=WW

I also recommend upgrading to 4 GB of RAM. It's about $80 + shipping ($60 after MIR) and well worth it, especially if you go w/ Vista.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...mp;promoid=1001

Not much you can do about Vista when buying a new laptop though.

You can get IBMs without Vista.

Not much you can do about Vista when buying a new laptop though.

You can get IBMs without Vista.

Yep, sure can.

I am going to pitch a vote for a IBM (lenovo) Thinkpad, awesome computers, don't have a complaint about mine yet and everyone I know that has them loves 'em. :)

Thinkpads aren't available in a 17" screen ... and a similarly-equipped Thinkpad comes out to $1250 ... You can get that HP w/ a 3-year accidental warranty and a high-capacity 12-cell battery for the same price from Staples while getting a larger screen, full keyboard, and licenses for XP and Vista instead of just one or the other.

For the price you can get RAM these days, you might as well upgrade before DDR3 production starts ramping up and DDR2 prices start to head upwards. Besides, more RAM means less hard drive accesses which will provide better battery life and put less stress on the hard drive (less chance of hard disk failure) in addition to better performance.

I am seriously considering that HP James linked. Staples is great as I do enjoy the extra warranty you can pick up. Going to see if I can find it in-store tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys - I really appreciate it.

If going PC, any Toshiba's with out Vista? They have been the best, PC, laptop I have used. The little Avartech at home is doing ok.

Toshiba doesn't offer any units in Canada with XP as far as I'm aware.

Though Vista is perfectly fine as long as it's set up right (I did a 7-page comprehensive setup guide for my store's associates that's extremely simple to follow) and there are a ton of ways to improve performance and usability. Properly-setup Vista > untouched XP any day, in my opinion.

It'll take about 6 hours to properly set up Vista, but it's well worth the time investment.

BTW, tomorrow is the last day of that sale, Steve ...