shizzzon

ShiZZZoN's Build Log

Thats pretty strong man. Im sure by next season you'll be getting a 155 out of it.

i got bored a while ago and decided to go back out and retest some frequencies to make sure i am not wrong anywhere before i start doing somethin different soon.

While i was out there.. i decided to do a legal meter with everything sealed up metered on top of steering wheel with me sitting there.

For those who have followed this build log, you will remember that frequencies below ~42hz are terrible in my car in the response graph as what accounts for the sharp falls in pressure levels at lower notes... but they still sound good to me.

The port i use can be lengthened another 10" and i could probably gain another db or so sealed from the lower notes but with a port that likes to peak in the high 50s at the moment-

32hz - 145.35db

40hz - 149.64db

50hz - 150.46db

So... for sealed purposes, 40-50hz is deadly to the ears, lol.

I then retested notes above 50 since 50 is my car's peak right now... once i got to 62hz, it was only reading 142.5 sealed so i quit going any higher.

So... i'm gonna be doing some driveby tests soon so i can see how loud i can get out of the vehicle soon.

I finally got all the equipment to do so so hopefully soon i'll find out.

yea a while back. 153.1 at the head and 156 in the kick

I don't even know why i'm posting this but i'll post it anyway-

I always tend to research alternatives to the equipment i'm using to see if there's something better that i could be running and i did a design which would rival what i got now...

Am i switching? NO.

I will continue to better the design i have now until nothing else works... At that point.. I MAY go to this new design-

I have a design i got saved for myself which consists fo the following-

Below is a comparison to what i have now vs the new design-

Now -

4 15s = 3,164 SD area @ 7kw. Port area = 145sqin (terrible)

New Design-

6 12s = 2,964 SD area @ 18kw. Port area = 316sqin Lot better!

The design may include the use of concrete as well and would be attempted to set a new world record in ModEx divisions.

Again, i'm not saying i'm gonna do this... but i do got the design saved just in case, :)

did you ever try out your polyfill idea??? I don't remember seeing you post about it.

there's a reason for that, lol.

I'll spill the beans-

I stuffed 5 cubes of acoustastuff in my wall, spread out and tested the frequency range.

Wall tuned around 30hz, peaks at 50hz due to car's peak note.

I did not see an increase in pressure reading until i started metering in the low 30hz range!

So, almost 20hz below peak is when it started to increase pressure...

The increase in pressure is greater if the port is tuned to peak at where the polyfill was working in anyways... so it was kinda useless.

i would only recommend it in a daily build.

OK... I figured it failed or you just didn't end up doing it. :)

did it lower your score at your peak?

no, my peak remained the same, it just slightly increased pressure right around tuning frequency.

Well, what do u know... i broke a 165... in my dream, lol

I want to post a pic of the current design i have in my car because i just modeled a new one that will be up shortly that is looking "louder" , :) with the same equipment too!

Here is current design with 147sqin of port :( -

shizzzon-415s.jpg

My next picture will show the new project design... gimme several minutes

ok guys, tell em what u all think-

You just seen my current design with 147sqin...

This is the new design using same equipment -

3 instead of 4 15s - Custom DC Level4s with 310sqin of port area! ~12-13cuft NET for 3 15s.

Port interchangeable still -

3-15s309.jpg

All i have to do is break the baffle out and build a new one. All bracing stays in tact throughout the box.

this is the daily tuned design... The way the port is right now, the entire back chamber would be an l shaped port extending very low tuning... which i may or may not employ.

The comp port length should be short enough to not interfere with allowing the back chamber to convert into a large port because if it does.... i lose over 6 cuft! So.. it's tricky.

That box is going to do work! Considering you are over doubling your port area I think you should see some worthwhile gains. What are you going to do as far as amps go since you have 3 subs now.

lol, i'm not changing my setup, i was just doing designs in case i ever wanted to during the comp season.

The design above has failed expectations because the rear chamber is going to act is a 90 degree elbow for the port which will actually cut internal volume down 60% which is a no go for me.

Unless i can think of something, the next design i do is gonna have the entire car behind the B pillar layered in MDF and i'll build my setup from within.

Just got back from doin other division testing...

I had also planned on doing Driveby as well in MECA.

Still using the comp port in my ride tuned to peak at 50hz, i peaked on a roll out 6ft back at a 127.2db today, non-averaged.

I got me some songs to create for Driveby but i got the HIGHEST peakin driveby car around, :)

I peak at 47hz outside, :) try and get that loud that high.

I got a new round of tweakin to do for Driveby so i'll be keepin the wall in for some time now.

Just got back from doin other division testing...

I had also planned on doing Driveby as well in MECA.

Still using the comp port in my ride tuned to peak at 50hz, i peaked on a roll out 6ft back at a 127.2db today, non-averaged.

I got me some songs to create for Driveby but i got the HIGHEST peakin driveby car around, :)

I peak at 47hz outside, :) try and get that loud that high.

I got a new round of tweakin to do for Driveby so i'll be keepin the wall in for some time now.

I just read this whole post and all I can say is wow... My Fi q 12 with 1 audioque 1200 is nothing compared to your monster setup. I keep finding myself saying it is not loud enough but I am not going to give up on it yet as I know my box is horrible. Tuned to who knows with way too small a port but it was my first box so it is expected to be crap. My mind wants to wall my focus but I have to keep telling it no no no just maybe another q 12 in a proper box or something will make it loud enough... but I have a feeling that I might end up where you are now as I have learned this is a sickness and I am certainly infected.

I want to hear that when we come down there bet it crashes........... good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IAK

from experience, i would never go to the conclusion of installing a wall unless you plan on running TONS of power.

You can almost always get louder than a wall without running a wall. It's running a wall that let's you sustain spl output for bassrace that helps.

So, you could say that for daily driving, it's a good idea... well, it depends.

Have you tried everything else?

Unless you have tried multiple setups, multiple boxes, large range of power usage.... would it then be advisable.

You can sustain spl in a non wall as well but it requires lots of cone area to do it and if you can't fit it in a non-wall, then a wall is the preferred method.

It all depends on your goals.

I'm willing to bet that i can clear a 160 in a non-wall in my scion tc.

I always have ideas floating in my head about my car and others and know my options. I know it would take some work and dedication but i think it would be easier to do it in a non-wall too.

from experience, i would never go to the conclusion of installing a wall unless you plan on running TONS of power.

You can almost always get louder than a wall without running a wall. It's running a wall that let's you sustain spl output for bassrace that helps.

So, you could say that for daily driving, it's a good idea... well, it depends.

Have you tried everything else?

Unless you have tried multiple setups, multiple boxes, large range of power usage.... would it then be advisable.

You can sustain spl in a non wall as well but it requires lots of cone area to do it and if you can't fit it in a non-wall, then a wall is the preferred method.

It all depends on your goals.

I'm willing to bet that i can clear a 160 in a non-wall in my scion tc.

I always have ideas floating in my head about my car and others and know my options. I know it would take some work and dedication but i think it would be easier to do it in a non-wall too.

I was just saying that is where this sickness seams to lead that's all. Here is what I have right now:

My current setup

Gonna start re-modifying my car again soon...

Got me a pretty damn good battery charger recently so i can keep my batts in tip top shape.

recently had some complications with my charging system so DC Power is modifying it for me and will be back in better performance by the end of the year.

I am also modifying the charging cables for the alternator and getting a 5 connector battery terminal soon too for massive surface area coverage.

I will be modifying the radiator area to attach a welded bracket system behind the radiator to allow the capability of running dual 1/0 cable lines rated at 700A at up to 50ft! to the battery post.

I will also be modifying the ground area and making it more efficient and dual grounding the alternator as well.

Sometime soon, the car will be lined in SPL Tiles + Sludge soon when the product is completely finalized.

Us competitors must do crazy things when trying to reach the goal of a 160db+ daily driver...

did i say that? :trippy:

WOW! I'm hoping to see your ride when myself and the IAK family come down for the Carl Casper show in Feb.

As of right now, i am still on schedule for the Carl Casper show! Still crossing my fingers that i dont fall behind and miss it...

I just busted the baffle out of the car today! That was fun.

Sanded down all around it in preparation for the new baffle.

I got a lot of vacuuming to do and cleanin up the subs but all i need to do now is go get me 1 sheet of mdf to rebuild this wall.

I'll be dropping from 4 to 3 subs and some mighty fine tuning will be needed next week hopefully.

I'm gonna be trying something new that has sparked some interest of mine for a while and never had the chance to test it...

This new wall design will be tunable from 100hz all the way down to 35hz using 2x4s to change tuning... It's pretty neat.

Anyways, I am also going to have to rip most of the false floor out of the hatch i made and rebuild it specifically for Carl Casper because they need to see all my wires so they know i'm not cheating.

I HAVE to have this done by this coming weekend...

I will have an "unknown" amount of power on tap.... I'm keeping this secret right now.

I fixed my termlab mic the other day so i have something to record with so hopefully i get louder...

Current score this season is 153.4db.

I am hoping for a minimum of a 155 at Casper... if not more...