shizzzon

ShiZZZoN's Build Log

lol, i was just getting ready to pm you and ask if the wall is all gone.....

do you have the design drafted out or is it just in your noggin?

would love to see it, i know i will at carl casper but that is so far away.

i picked a little something that i will be able to work on this year....... lots of air space, more than i can fill at the moment.

100hz!!

wow

so, will carl casper be offering a little more slack for demos this year or do you know?

nope still as strict as ever.

Yep, the new tuning design for this wall is gonna be nice for me anyways.

I won't post pics of it until after Casper but i can tell you the concept behind the idea.

Our vehicles have a unique frequency they will peak at... People who know this will find it and go, BAM!, that's the note i will peak at forever and ever...

Well, now let's look at it like this-

Vehicles have cabin gain. This simply means putting a box in the car will be louder than in an open environment.

A particular peak note in a car would, obviously, be using the most cabin gain to achieve such a peak.

MECA allows peak notes between 20-100hz to be used.

How many competitors have actually measured their cabin gain throughout this range?

I don't know but i can assure you not many based on the installs i've seen, :)

Let's say a car peaks at 45hz. what about the other notes that were retrieved when that user measured his cabin gain?

Sure the other notes are lower in gain... but many people don't look at it from this perspective-

Build a sealed box for a single subwoofer and place it in an open environment.

Start playing 35hz then 36hz and so on til you reach 100hz.

With every increase in frequency, the pressure should rise.

Now, let's build 70 different ported boxes(not really, lol) tuned between 31-100hz.

Every time you increase tuning in a ported box, the pressure will rise in an open environment as well, just like a sealed box but ported is many times more peaky than sealed.

but... there is a catch...

Every time you increase tuning, you also increase turbulence inside the port...

This is why you don't just tune to peak at 100hz and be done with it!

If your peak note in the car was 45hz, you tune to 40hz to peak at 45 using 150sqin of port for 2 subs, for example, tuning to 50hz will drop for 2 reasons...

1- cabin gain roll off

2- port not big enough!

That's right! Port not big enough.

Because higher tuning increases turbulence with the same port area, it's necessary to increase port area when higher tuning is achieved.

This is why it's not easy to just go, i'm tuning to 90hz and i'll win... that's not the case.

So, how big of a port area is needed for such high tuning?

Well too many factors... It might be calculated but trial and error is the best way.

If you have the room to use a massive port area, you can then attempt to use a new note to peak at.

So why not just use the car's note with massive port area? Because the port length for such install would be ridiculous!

So higher tuning is suggested, LOT higher.

By having enough port area AND a helluva gain from the design itself, it can actually produce more pressure vs the car's peak note.

Let's say the note you want to burp at is 85hz but it's 12db lower than your car's peak note.

Simply put, if the port area is large enough for this note to keep turbulence REAL LOW, as long as you can achieve an increase over cabin gain of 12.1db or more, you can then "create" a new peak in your car and get louder on the meter.

The major drawback to such build is port area... It's crucial that it's large enough. that's what makes it so hard to accomplish.

That's how this new design is.

It will take lots of testing to HOPEFULLY allow me to find a new note to use.

A car's peak note can only get you so far if you got a small cabin like me. Sometimes you just gotta start back over and force a new note in to play.

u sir, are a freaking genious...thanx for making me feel stupid lol.

well as u can see... i dont create a new build log for each setup i go through.. this is more like a car log, lol.

too wild....

guess i will see soon enough.

sucks about the demos

4th sub setting on the side? back up?

useing "X many" amps still?

i know you took pics of your components awhile back in this thread...may i ask what were they? because in every video your highs sound real loud

Image Dynamics. Can't rememver model number but they are rated at 100wrms.

Looking foward to seeing this hopfully at Carl Casper :popcorn: . I should be there with chop and some IAK family :drink40:

did somebody mention backup sub? While i may have extra subs lying around...

i never consider them a backup in terms of a quick replacement in competition even if it's the same model and size.

When i test prior to going to competition, everything is set the way it needs to be as if i were competing on the spot.

I never worry bout these subs getting damaged, they are well built!

If i ever needed to run another pass because someone is beating me by a hair... i have some settings i can retune to possibly get louder...

I never tend to use it first because i never have found it necessary.

I have got the baffle pieces cut...

The baffle pieces have now been trimmed and do fit back in the wall so that's good.

The baffle pieces are now all marked and ready to be routered so no more measuring...

Once they are cut, they must be glued n painted. I will have to modify some of my allthread runs for some future mods to the wall before i reinstall this new baffle.

I am about to order me some $60 worth of pure aluminum stock so i can make my own massive fuse holder. It should be rated for roughly ~1500A continuous so that's plenty of heat dissipation capability.

This weekend... i will find out what the wall is tuned to bare with no port mods. I will work off of this information first and for kicks...

i will post a score at the head when i do. hopefully i'll have a stand on hand so it's official... Otherwise.. i'll cheat and put it in the kick, lol. Either way.. i'm gonna be attempting to break a 160 in the kick soon... i'm not saying when either.

:sadwavey:

it was me..... but, totally like on another thought pattern.

was thinking perhaps it would be up for sale, was attempting to fish for that info, just asked in that fashion.

i have never competed in a serious manner, just local soundoffs, mainly to just get a db # on the windshield.

and by no means was there any replacements around....

anxious to see what the intial scores come in at.

will you be machining or dieing( is that the right way to write that) the aluminum yourself?

yep, it's coming in raw

some more unknown information...

The baffle was cut today completely and would like to add a comment about something useful for those who route their speaker cut outs.

I've been using a straight bit for years, carbide straight bit, and while they last for quite a while, they always tend to have resistance and takes forever to cut... well not anymore.

Phi on here recommended i try a Carbide Spiral Upcut bit.

So i spent the extra $6 for one($20 per bit) and WOW!! What a difference. No resistance feeling at all when cutting.

I cut my cut outs in 2 passes for every 3/4" I can cut 14" holes in 2 passes in 15 seconds! VERY FAST!

I highly recommend these bits.

We are gonna test just standard Spiral Upcut steel bits on MDF and see if the bit itself will prevent the material from burning like steel so easily does with MDF.

I will finish modding the baffle tomorrow night then glue n paint it.

Saturday is the big day for me...

I have to mod the entire wall to get the baffle to fit back into place and touch up some abuse areas in my wall that it has been taking for a while.

Hopefully.. i still have time to find out what it does bare with no tuning.

well, i'll tell ya one new thing about the build that has nothing to do with the audio.

I am having buss bars machined for me.

I just gotta cut them to length and drill all my holes for em.

These bus bars are gonna be used for my batts and for fuse holders.

They are rated at 1,750A continuous so that should be plenty, :)

Well... after working all day....

the new baffle IS IN!!

I still gotta do a lot more bracing to it tomorrow and some more work inside the wall but the hard part is finally done!

I am hoping that it should be about 3-5hrs worth of work tomorrow.. then the subs should be put in and see what the wall is tuned to as is.

:) :) :) 95% complete...

all i gotta do pretty much now is wait for everything to dry and install a few more brackets and done with it!

I'll be ripping the trunk apart soon for casper but after i do some testing to it tomorrow so i know where i'm peaking at.

All i gotta do now is just screw the subs in and wire em up!

I'll be doin that tomorrow evening.

I won't be postin pics til after Casper for comp reasons.

:drink40: , now lets get 100% complete.

look forward to your intial impression on the test coming up....

i am sure it will be impressive to me / us, but i wanna know what you think of it... you have been wanting the new build for a while now.

chop

I cant wait to see these pics after the show. Always nice to see a quality install with quality products. Just wish I wasnt so far away that I could hear it too!

The new wall is in and the amps are working...

I hope the Carl Casper show doesnt give me crap over my wiring of the amps...

I havent changed my wiring in all the shows i've been too and even had the commissioner verify it one time and passed...

I was told by a competitor at the last show that they would make me disassemble the whole trunk to prove i'm not cheating....

I don't think so... I do not have time to rebuild the trunk in a day... I should be able to prove to them by removing the fuses in the fuse block and showing them the amps wont come on...

simple as that.

If they refuse this common knowledge... then i'll leave the show due to their stupidity but hopefully that competitor that told me that isn't 100% literal.

Anyways, i got my peak note i'm gonna work with so i got one day to try and tune this thing as best i can for the show saturday, lol

One day.. that's a lot... Actually 3hrs.... i still gotta work too.

The new wall is in and the amps are working...

I hope the Carl Casper show doesnt give me crap over my wiring of the amps...

I havent changed my wiring in all the shows i've been too and even had the commissioner verify it one time and passed...

I was told by a competitor at the last show that they would make me disassemble the whole trunk to prove i'm not cheating....

I don't think so... I do not have time to rebuild the trunk in a day... I should be able to prove to them by removing the fuses in the fuse block and showing them the amps wont come on...

simple as that.

If they refuse this common knowledge... then i'll leave the show due to their stupidity but hopefully that competitor that told me that isn't 100% literal.

Anyways, i got my peak note i'm gonna work with so i got one day to try and tune this thing as best i can for the show saturday, lol

One day.. that's a lot... Actually 3hrs.... i still gotta work too.

good luck! and take pics