oxsign

Your thoughts for 2 18RL-p's

OK, these are crud MS paint drawings, but you get the ideas, lol. I plan on starting this tonight. I'm just not to sure which one to go with. 4 6" flair ports, or 1 big slot port. I'll get more port area with the slot port, but I do have 4 6" flairs sitting here as well. On to the specs & drawings. I used bcae1.com for my results with this. Click on pix to make them bigger.

Slot port specs

Slotport.jpg

& drawing

Slotports.jpg

6" Flared ports specs

Roundports.jpg

& drawing

18swallround.jpg

What are your thoughts? Should I go with the obvious, more air space with the slot port? Thx for the help & input guys. :neil:

Didn't you already have them sealed? That's what I'd prefer ;)

Didn't you already have them sealed? That's what I'd prefer ;)
No actually I have one ported right now. I've never had the joy of having them both going at one time, lol. My thought was to do them both sealed. I just don't know if I'll be happy with them since I've never owned a sealed enclosure before. I've heard them, but never had one myself. I've always had ported for the big output.

bump.. oxsign, you have PM.. if you could answer a few quick questions on that program i'd appreciate it.. thx

A pair of quality 18's, sealed or ported, is going to be a serious amount of output.

After having seen you post for some time, it sure sounds like you're definitely a "big output" guy... and not that two sealed RL-p18's won't give you big output, but two ported RL-p18's will give you even bigger output! ;)

Of course, we can go back and fourth about it all day long, and when all is said and done, your ears still won't have experienced what two sealed RL-p18's can do. The only way to be sure about what you prefer, is to try it for yourself.

Your 6 4" round ports should suffice for the pair of drivers, but it is hovering around the minimum amount of port area per driver that I would feel comfortable with (55 - 65 square inches per driver). If you have the inclination and space for a larger slot port, it may be a worthwhile investment.

After having seen you post for some time, it sure sounds like you're definitely a "big output" guy... and not that two sealed RL-p18's won't give you big output, but two ported RL-p18's will give you even bigger output! ;)

Of course, we can go back and fourth about it all day long, and when all is said and done, your ears still won't have experienced what two sealed RL-p18's can do. The only way to be sure about what you prefer, is to try it for yourself.

Your 6 4" round ports should suffice for the pair of drivers, but it is hovering around the minimum amount of port area per driver that I would feel comfortable with (55 - 65 square inches per driver). If you have the inclination and space for a larger slot port, it may be a worthwhile investment.

Thx Mike, this is my concern. I know these subs are awesome for SQ and sealed enclosures, but you nailed by saying I'm a "big output guy", lol. I know what my 2 15"s did ported, and I have high hopes for the 18"s ported.

P.S. It would be 4 6" ports, but I am thinking of a slot port (175 sq in of port), and 13 cubes of space (after displacement). fing05.gif

I say build a quick 8-12 cube sealed box w/double baffle drop em in & see what you think. If you dont like it build the ported and send me the sealed one haha :fing34:

I personally am not a fan of RL-Ps, but to each his own. It should get pretty loud, I suppose.

I personally am not a fan of RL-Ps, but to each his own. It should get pretty loud, I suppose.

What don't you like about them? Did you have one?

No, I heard one locally and it just sounded sloppy. I have heard great things about the RL-S, though, and I would love to try a couple of 15s.

Edited by Boss Brassler

No, I heard one locally and it just sounded sloppy. I have heard great things about the RL-S, though, and I would love to try a couple of 15s.

That seems to be a trait if the box is too big. With such a low Qts, the RL-p can do smaller then average boxes better in most cases.

Probably one of the best (and most common) motor platforms out there. Nothing wrong with an RL-p. ;)

4 6" flared ports are plenty of port area for a pair of 18" RL-p's. The only problem is fitting the length in there.

Probably one of the best (and most common) motor platforms out there. Nothing wrong with an RL-p. ;)

4 6" flared ports are plenty of port area for a pair of 18" RL-p's. The only problem is fitting the length in there.

Well I figured if the box is 32"tall x 38"wide x 26"deep, tuned to 30hz the 4 6" ports would only have to be 19" long. That leaves me 7" from the back of the port to the back wall. That should be plenty shouldn't it? That'll also give me 113sq in of port.

Yeah, you'll be fine. The flares are the key to avoiding noise and keeping output. Sorry if I missed that stuff above.