Sign in to follow this  
snb778

99 Maxima Build Log, 2x 15" Type R's

Whats up guys,

This is the 2nd box I have ever built, so bare with me if it's not the best in the world, but I am trying to do everything based on everyone's input so far.

It is for a 99 Nissan Maxima, for 2 15" Type R's tuned at 38Hz. My last box was tuned at 32Hz, so I am just trying a little different sound, and if I don't like it, i'm sellin it all and gonna toy around with something new.

I have Goldbond 3, Silicon 2, predrilling all my screw holes like a good boy... using 90Deg. Clamps and straight clamps

Here's the pics:

Just started today May 8th.... still workin on it...just letting stuff dry, then im gonna get back at it.

box001av9.th.jpg

box002ig9.th.jpg

box005jn2.th.jpg

box003zx8.th.jpg

box004ii3.th.jpg

my only question right now is how long do you guys typically wait until you take the clamps off to move onto the next pieces?? Can I take em off once I get the screws in or what???????????

Got to impatient waitin for a response..Took A clamp off... put the back side on...

allpics001xj8.th.jpg

allpics002in5.th.jpg

Edited by snb778

Read the glue bottle, they give times for clamping/removal.

Also remember not to clamp TOO tightly, or the joint will be starved of glue. :) Something a lot of people often botch.

Read the glue bottle, they give times for clamping/removal.

Also remember not to clamp TOO tightly, or the joint will be starved of glue. :) Something a lot of people often botch.

ught oh... well I would assume the screws tighten the hardest, and the clamps just add support... I can't imagine those clamps tightening more than the screws, but then again... I have no clue. I'm gonna load up the edges and corners in Silicon III just to be safe...might even add some resin if i''m not to lazy...means another trip to the store for hardner. haha

"It is 732 in the PM, and you're watchin Perspectives"....

Just put in the corner brace to direct air flow... Man that was a pain in my asz with out knowing how to do it... Any advice on that part??... Hard to line up the screws on a 45Deg. cut... also I couldn't use a clamp on it...just had to kind on hold it, and I got a screw in the top corners, and the bottom corners, but the rest were to hard to line up, so I just glued em, and put some weights on it... hopefully the screws that will go in the top and bottom pieces will hold it in well enough, along with some resin.. (found some hardner)

Heres the newest pics.

732001uj7.th.jpg

732002di8.th.jpg

I am going to do the port, and the brace that goes between the subs next.... Any advice on how to do the brace?? cause I can't have the box on the top or bottom (big boards), so I have to have it sideways...... and a brace isnt deep enough to get to the middle of the box???......... Gonna need help for this part.. Thanks.

Edited by snb778

in 65-70 degree weather, regular yellow wood glue should be fine after 4 hours or so. If you are using screws, that should provide PLENTY of pressure for the glue to set. I.e. you would be fine skipping the clamps altogether.

Edited by Bigpete123

8:26 here... just got done with the port... Forgot to put glue on the bottom of it though, but it fit perfectly, so I just added glue to the sides just so there is no air gettin through there... DUHHHHHH.

826oe3.th.jpg

Well the sun is pretty much down, so I think im gonna call it quits... not a whole lot left to do besides cut out the holes, and put the top on.

TO THOSE WHO ARE EXPERIENCED..... should I put the subs on the port side, or away from the port as much as possible???

Thanks guys

bump... anyone... I'd like to get this drawn out tonight

I've heard that it is better to have farther away then really close. I space them evenly with the box after the port.

Actually just got done with my build today.

2 12" SSDs 4.5cbft tuned to about 33-34

Kicker ZX2500.1

Good luck with the rest of the build

I've heard that it is better to have farther away then really close. I space them evenly with the box after the port.

Actually just got done with my build today.

2 12" SSDs 4.5cbft tuned to about 33-34

Kicker ZX2500.1

Good luck with the rest of the build

Get a vid up for that!.. Thats almost exactly what im gonna do if I don't like the way this box sounds..... 2500 on 2 SSD's sounds like much... think im gonna go for the Q's fully loaded

bump... middle brace assistance anybody? I gotta get this box done today

UPDATE: Box is done... might not fit though.. somehow I made it 1/2" taller than I planned (was supopsed to be 1/2" shorter than the last box, leaving me with 1" of error)

1152001jf6.th.jpg

1152002lk9.th.jpg

1152003ir9.th.jpg

1152004pa5.th.jpg

Sry I didnt get more pics up before the subs were mounted.... I used wood glue, silicon 2, and resin for all the edges and corners, so I can't imagine there being any leaks...

Leave comments if you must. But keep in mind this is only my 2nd box

IT IS COMPLETE!!!

105001sk5.th.jpg

105002tx1.th.jpg

overall so far... seems like it hits the sweet spot a little better... I noticed the windshield wipers bouncin around a little more..Can't tell if it seems tuned higher though....??? ill give it a few days of bumpin around...

I know the port should be in the back but thats the only way the box would fit in.

For a second build im pretty proud of it.... Considering it matches up quite well with the 250 dollar box I had in there.

Thanks for all the help to those who gave me advice!!

Steve-o

Edited by snb778

I have a vid of the old box posted on ca.com.. i can PM you the link if you'd want... i don't think the new box will make a noticeable diff. with the video cam... but to the ear it is different.

how big is that box?

i have a 98' max :woot:

also shoot me a link of ur CA

PM sent

bump