Thumpper

SSA Icon 10" Test Enclosure (breaks 140db @ 24hz!!)

Figured no one would mind if I bumped this old thread. Had a question about it from someone and wanted to chime in..

This isnt a horn. It is really just a 'tapped' version of a vented enclosure. Doesnt really have any advantages other than drivers/port radiating from the same area.

Placing the drivers further into the mouth normally creates a peak or ripple in the response which wouldnt be favorable.

Lastly, the enclosure can not be modeled by most programs. You would have to use hornresp or Akabak to model such an enclosure - Nothing like WinIsd, BBP, Termpak..etc. It can be modeled like a tapped horn with a large throat chamber, but again is not a real horn by any means.

Not to say it could not be a useful design at some point, but it would be based on physical makeup - not performance characteristics of the enclosure its self. Definitely unique though and looks cool none the less :)

Edit - Ah, didnt realize I was posting this directly in a vendor's forum.. If you find this offensive in any way feel free to let me know or report the post. I dont get on here at all, simply figured Id share the knowledge.

Edited by tbhenclosures

Wow those enclosures look great!

Is that some sort of gel coat on them?

Figured no one would mind if I bumped this old thread. Had a question about it from someone and wanted to chime in..

This isnt a horn. It is really just a 'tapped' version of a vented enclosure. Doesnt really have any advantages other than drivers/port radiating from the same area.

Placing the drivers further into the mouth normally creates a peak or ripple in the response which wouldnt be favorable.

Lastly, the enclosure can not be modeled by most programs. You would have to use hornresp or Akabak to model such an enclosure - Nothing like WinIsd, BBP, Termpak..etc. It can be modeled like a tapped horn with a large throat chamber, but again is not a real horn by any means.

Not to say it could not be a useful design at some point, but it would be based on physical makeup - not performance characteristics of the enclosure its self. Definitely unique though and looks cool none the less :)

Edit - Ah, didnt realize I was posting this directly in a vendor's forum.. If you find this offensive in any way feel free to let me know or report the post. I dont get on here at all, simply figured Id share the knowledge.

I have built a dozen or so variations of this design....

the white one had very good sq....did well

in SPL comp with a single woofer version

I dont get on here at all, simply figured Id share the knowledge.

Nice first post, especially when you signed up yesterday!

:noob:

Any possible way to get the design for this? I'd like to try it with my Icons sometime.

So... I remember way back when this thread was first created, and just couldn't believe the results that you were getting with this box. You say this does better in a single sub configuration? I am in the process of aquiring an 8, and have been toying with the idea of doing something like this, since my softtop jeep is a little different to build for than most other vehicles. The idea of it NEEDING an open space at the mouth has me thinking this would be a good box design to play around with. Any tips or tricks to making this design work would be appreciated. You don't have to walk me through the whole process, because I've back-calculated the math on your first box, and have the general idea of why the design works so well.

I originally came up with this design when I used to install systems in nightclubs

and just for kicks I tried it in a car...

not a very space efficient design but it's LOUD

I really liked the sound of the black and white one...

it unloaded really well in the interior of that car

Would you mind if I experimented with this design for an SA8v2?

go ahead....make shure you post the results trink40.gif

Oh i will! Its going in a softtop jeep wrangler, which i think will be a good platform for this design since theres nothing for a port to load off of. Also powering with about 1000-1200a watts. Already did a 141.2 sealed up with a funkin audio 10 on 5-600 watts. I want to try and do a 143-144 with this 8.

cool

........check your PM

Im think 0.75 net with 18.5 sq in of port tuned to 33-34hz, and the opening coming out at a 45 degree angle from the mouth of the port.