Sign in to follow this  
tnynyn

Help with amp setting on two SAX 100.4

Just finished wiring up my car and I'm kinda confused about the settings on the amp. Heres my setup:

SAX 100.4 (#1)

Bridged 1&2 = Left Mid

Bridged 3&4 = Right Mid

SAX 100.4 (#2)

Ch 1 - Left Tweeter

Ch 2 - Right Tweeter

Ch 3&4 = Saved for future sub

Ok from my previous installed with a Pioneer Premiere 860MP running actively, I know where I want my Xovers to be at, but I just dont know how set that on the amp. Its been four years since I last setup my system. I recently swapped headunits to a Pioneer Avic D3 and now will be going passive. Heres how I had it set on the 860MP:

Low : LPF=50Hz

Mids: HPF=63Hz / LPF=2kHz

High: HPF=2.5kHz

How would I adjust those settings onto the amp? I tried the follow, but not really sure:

Amp #1 (mids):

Both Ch1&2 and 3&4 set to LPF

Crossover turned up less than half way (I assumed half was ~250hz) with range set at x10

HPF is set at a little above 50Hz

Not sure about LPF??

Amp #2 (tweeters):

Ch 1&2 set to HPF

Crossover at ~half-way w/ ranges at x10

Not sure about the rest?

I'm sure I did it wrong so any suggestions/advice would be helpful. Also, do I connect the LINE OUT of both amps together or is that not needed?

Just finished wiring up my car and I'm kinda confused about the settings on the amp. Heres my setup:

SAX 100.4 (#1)

Bridged 1&2 = Left Mid

Bridged 3&4 = Right Mid

SAX 100.4 (#2)

Ch 1 - Left Tweeter

Ch 2 - Right Tweeter

Ch 3&4 = Saved for future sub

Ok from my previous installed with a Pioneer Premiere 860MP running actively, I know where I want my Xovers to be at, but I just dont know how set that on the amp. Its been four years since I last setup my system. I recently swapped headunits to a Pioneer Avic D3 and now will be going passive. Heres how I had it set on the 860MP:

Low : LPF=50Hz

Mids: HPF=63Hz / LPF=2kHz

High: HPF=2.5kHz

How would I adjust those settings onto the amp? I tried the follow, but not really sure:

Amp #1 (mids):

Both Ch1&2 and 3&4 set to LPF

Crossover turned up less than half way (I assumed half was ~250hz) with range set at x10

HPF is set at a little above 50Hz

Not sure about LPF??

Amp #2 (tweeters):

Ch 1&2 set to HPF

Crossover at ~half-way w/ ranges at x10

Not sure about the rest?

I'm sure I did it wrong so any suggestions/advice would be helpful. Also, do I connect the LINE OUT of both amps together or is that not needed?

I am available for verbal chat. pm me for my phone number. You are getting into "tricky" situations if your trying to go active without not necessarly knowing the set points on the amp and/ or deck. Great choice of amps BTW!

It is pretty hard to set the crossovers without some sort of analyzer; however, you can use some real defined test tones and a DMM as long as you remember that at the crossover point you will be down 3dB. Basically adjust your gains, play a tone well into your passband with the crossover off. Then play a tone at your crossover frequency and start to rotate the crossover visually until you are close while using the DMM looking for the 3dB down point. Of course as a check since you know your slope you should play a tone an octave higher to make sure your attenuation is pretty close.

I've always had great luck setting them by ear until it sounds right to me :)

I'm not an RTA but I know what I like to hear.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Guess I'll start with M5's advice and will contact atsaubrey if I need further help? Where in SoCal are you located atsaubrey?

Before I begin, are my settings on the amps correct? (i.e. mode, range?)

Sign in to follow this