Aaron Clinton

Icon Response and Kippel result graphs from npdang's review

Just thought it was worth posting them up here from npdang's review recently. Very few companies are lucky enough to have Kippel results, especially one our size.

Great quote from said review:

Looks like 1-way xmag of ~19mm, close enough to rated specs. Very nicely centered curve, with good symmetry. Not as extended of a plateau as you might see with the best designs, but a terrific example of a textbook overhung motor. Typical Le curve for a motor without a faraday ring/sleeve, with inductance increasing in the rearward stroke. Appears as if suspension was perfectly mated to the capabilities of the motor. All in all, good results. I didn't observe any excess mechanical noise either during the test, which is a good sign.

med_gallery_3_2_111997.jpg

med_gallery_3_2_743.jpg

gallery_3_2_1749.png

gallery_3_2_578.png

gallery_3_2_2055.png

We need the Dcon and Xcon on the Kippel now. :)

Agreed. And when can we have full Xcon specs posted. I can't help to think it is based of the BTL. Hype has it that it's not, but I refuse to believe the hype. We need to see some specs soon :)

Agreed. And when can we have full Xcon specs posted. I can't help to think it is based of the BTL. Hype has it that it's not, but I refuse to believe the hype. We need to see some specs soon :)

The Xcon has NOTHING to do with the BTL. I will repeat NOTHING to do with the BTL. Other then country of build, they are two different drivers. Very different in design and purpose. And I don't really feel there is much if any hype on the Xcon as most everything has been coming from happy customers. They have been the biggest support of the driver. ;)

XCON and BTL are worlds apart in purposes and goals.

Just because a woofer looks the same the same (they don't in my OP) doesn't mean they are the same the XCON is amazing woofer made for excellent SQ and still get loud. The BTL on the other hand is made to get LOUD and still have a little bit of SQ but they are nothing alike.

If is knew what any of that meant it would be awesome!!! But they said it is good, so thats awesome!!!

XCON and BTL are not the same, and i have NO idea where there would be even a little bit of talk of that? Unless people just dont read, and assume that since they can both handle alot of power they must be the same!

Maybe Nick needs to send me a BTL 12 so I can take a picture of it next to the Xcon. ;)

If anything. The xcon looks way more similar to fi's q...

This thread is over four years old. wtf.

Note to anyone reading this: This isn't the current gen icon being tested.

Edited by stefanhinote

Stefan is correct, the Icon went through a major motor overhaul from this version to the current version.

The original dustcap was sexy, I wish I could still get my hands on one.

Just a random thought. Would it be possible to have every model sent in for Kippel testing? Not sure on the cost to do so, but would be another neat bit of information to look at. Would also be another not selling point, but another reason to show why ssa is different. 

Not sure the cost, the last machine we had acess to (the one used for the above test) is supposedly now owned by an audio brand.  Since then, I have kind of forgotten about it.  But the cost would be heavy and the audience who would care about, understand and be able to put to practical use, is almost all gone sadly.

In general it is a bad idea. The results are misinterpreted way too easily. A Klippel is easily sourced, the data however is not usually read anywhere near the right way.

In general it is a bad idea. The results are misinterpreted way too easily. A Klippel is easily sourced, the data however is not usually read anywhere near the right way.

Still would love to have an Xcon on which ever equipment you have access to, for fun. ;)