Sign in to follow this  
RCobra07

New-b here with amp comparison question...

First of all, please forgive my posting in this section, but I want to hear from Sundown guys why the product is better then the other two I am thinking of, instead of "it just is". A little on my background, I was pretty into car audio back around 1996-2001, but have been out of it since then. A LOT of things have changed since. I ran a Xtant X1001 and X604 in my last car for reference. In any case, I am looking to put together a pretty simple system now for personal use, no shows or competitions. The amps I am really considering are:

Sundown SAZ1500D (used by Sundown guys, but with warranty)

Hifonics Brutus BXI2608D

Lanzar OptiDrive 2000D

I will be running in a '06 Durango with stock alternator (160A), Optima battery, Big 3, 1/0 guage wire, and possibly a second battery and capacitor if absolutely necessary or strongly recommended. I would like to run either (3) RE Audio SE12's, Or (2) RE Audio SE15's, OR (2) FI Audio SSD15's, just have not yet made up mind (I am open to any suggestions on that as well).

Can any of you give any input on the above options? They are all in the same price point, with the latter 2 being new vs. used on the Sundown. I really appreciate any advice and certainly mean nothing negative towards Sundown whatsoever by posting this in their forum.

Thanks,

ryan

Edited by RCobra07

First of all, please forgive my posting in this section, but I want to hear from Sundown guys why the product is better then the other two I am thinking of, instead of "it just is". A little on my background, I was pretty into car audio back around 1996-2001, but have been out of it since then. A LOT of things have changed since. I ran a Xtant X1001 and X604 in my last car for reference. In any case, I am looking to put together a pretty simple system now for personal use, no shows or competitions. The amps I am really considering are:

Hifonics Brutus BXI2608D

Lanzar OptiDrive 2000D

I will be running in a '06 Durango with stock alternator (160A), Optima battery, Big 3, 1/0 guage wire, and possibly a second battery and capacitor if absolutely necessary or strongly recommended. I would like to run either (3) RE Audio SE12's, Or (2) RE Audio SE15's, OR (2) FI Audio SSD15's, just have not yet made up mind (I am open to any suggestions on that as well).

Can any of you give any input on the above options? They are all in the same price point, with the latter 2 being new vs. used on the Sundown. I really appreciate any advice and certainly mean nothing negative towards Sundown whatsoever by posting this in their forum.

Thanks,

ryan

Customer service on the sundown. I have a 3000d and i posted a question on CA.com and jacob (sundown owner) was the first one to PM with an answer about the amp. Lets see you do that w/ hifonics or lanzer. dont get me wrong tho i also have a bxi2006d, but its for sale and its a great budget amp but just not the customer service you would get going with sundown.

Hifonics Brutus BXI2608D

Lanzar OptiDrive 2000D

Thanks,

ryan

Build quality for starters. Have seen the Lanzars and hifonics. The sundowns are physically more substantial. The Sundown is an amazing amp. I purchased a used one myself. It is quite simply amazing with the woofer control. I am running it at 1 ohm on a single 15. Zero gain zero boost. Double kick drum is precise and tight.

I know that customer service is thrown around a lot. jacob is truly "there for you" if there is a situation. Try to have the owner(s) of Lanzar,hifonics answer a question. Actions truly do speak louder than words so I will stop with the praise that has been spoken of on a ton of forums about Sundown.

Pretty sure I have not seen any bad remarks about other products when asked about from Jacob. Another trait that to me speaks volumes about his character.

in power comparison-

The lanzar opti2000d would put out more power but only if you can keep the voltage above 13.2-13.5v

That amp has been tested to do around 1,940w @13.8v but at 0.5ohm nominal. 1 ohm is around 1,600w.

So, if you plan to run at 1 ohm nominal, sundown over lanzar for sure.

The sundown can sustain it's output rating even at 11v, and the higher the voltage, the more power.

I know nothing experience-wise about the Brutus line so i can't comment on it.

I am biased, but in the end, with non-stop satisfied owners, the 1500D is the winner in my eyes.

Its already been said, but to reiterate...

1. Build Quality. I've been in this game since '88, and have ran just about every major amp line you could think of and probably a few you can't. Sundown amps are right up there with the best of the best in this category. They WILL do everything they are rated for and then some at real world voltages, unlike a lot of the industry's "test bench queens" (which unfortunately that Hifonics falls into that category).

2. Customer Service. Jacob is the best in the business at taking care of his customers bar none.....just search through some of the posts here for proof.

3. Re-sale ability. Should you find the want or need to get rid of one these things are not unlike the PPI Art series amps in that you will have people beatin yer pm box up trying to get it off of you, and they will be willing to pay what its worth. Try that with a Hifonics or Lanzar.

Sign in to follow this