sundownz

Bigger Sub ?

Who would be interested in a bigger sub than the Nightshade ?

Think Shocker Sig sized motor. Triple stack 10" diameter slugs :)

I like the idea of a bigger sub so I can fully compensate. As long as it's still for daily ;)

Probably a big jump in price tho?

<<< Intrested, Kinda depends on price / power handling and the big factor for me is it has to be musical

Edited by SundownAudioNY

Got my attention...

Will it be musical? 4 inch voicecoil ? VC options? I'd love a Quad 1-ohm...if not then Dual 1's. When will they be available if so?

Ballpark figure in price yet? I'm interested....

I have the XXX, but a nice Sundown sub would be nice too.. :drink40:

4 inch coil or not

Maybe, maybe not. If the 3" coil can do what I want then I won't use a 4" coil. If necessary it will use a 4" coil.

I'd rather use a 3" so I can use the same size ID cones and spiders as the Nightshade. It will use totally different coils, though.

This driver would be very customizable with different cones, coils, and spider compliances available. With the proper options it will be very daily friendly, it could also be optioned out to be a burp sub.

Got my attention...

Will it be musical? 4 inch voicecoil ? VC options? I'd love a Quad 1-ohm...if not then Dual 1's. When will they be available if so?

Ballpark figure in price yet? I'm interested....

I have the XXX, but a nice Sundown sub would be nice too.. :drink40:

Really do not know on the price yet... still working on the first prototype.

Mainly just measuring interest here.

It would be in Dual coils only, but will have several options (probably D1 and D2).

Currently looking something like this...

Standard coil = 8-layer round wire

Optional coil = 10-layer flat wire

* May have different wind length options as well based on goals

Standard spider = 25% stiffer than Nightshade

Optional spider = Up to double Nightshade stiffness

Standard cone = Same as Nightshade Cone

Optional cone = Twice as thick as Nightshade Cone (the sample is wicked)

Say you wanted to be really daily friendly... you could go with the 8-layer round coil, standard spider, and optional cone. The optional cone has a higher mass so will bring the Fs down a bit, especially with the standard spider.

For SPL-only burps the optional cone would likely only be needed for well over 10kw burps (this is what will determine if I need a 4" coil). This cone is so strong that I stood on it with *no coil in place* in a 15" size and did not damage it at all. Still looks like new.

This will NOT replace the Nightshade - it will be another step up above in price and performance. The Nightshade will still be preferred for ~1500-2000 watts daily applications.

hey Jacob when you get a chance I need to talk to you about ordering those custom recones like we talked about mabe a few changes

Also... if these are produced they may be special order only as I will be building them in-house personally (at least the first batch will be built by me only). So, each one will take time to build and test. I will not stock any fully assembled subs in this line - all customized.

Well i would be intrested in 8 if i could fit them in my budget. If you deside to go this route, uk how to get a hold of me.

Well i would be intrested in 8 if i could fit them in my budget. If you deside to go this route, uk how to get a hold of me.

I don't think they would fit into your time frame. Nightshades will work best off of your planned 1500 per woofer as well.

Well maybe ill do nightshades for now, and when i deside to up the power to a 3kw per drive, maybe these will be avalible. Look forward to atleast seeing how this plays out.

Well maybe ill do nightshades for now, and when i deside to up the power to a 3kw per drive, maybe these will be avalible. Look forward to atleast seeing how this plays out.

I'll put up some pics of my first prototype motor when it is completed. It may take longer than I expect to get it just right, but I like to feel out interest early on to see how hard I should concentrate on the project.

how about pics of the optional cone :wackit3:

Edited by sundownz
Fixing Smiley Insert

First prototype optional cone:

Cone_Sample.jpg

This cone is STRONG. Production will have a gloss coat and a wide dust cap to fit inside the rings.

Who would be interested in a bigger sub than the Nightshade ?

Think Shocker Sig sized motor. Triple stack 10" diameter slugs :)

r u f-ing kidding me

a sub bigger than a niteshade....wat will this be call

it should be named

" THE SUB THAT BLANKETED THE WORLD"

LOL

triple stack 10inch slugs

hmmm thats a WHOLE-LOTTA bl going on

the cone look really nice...i hope it will have the same dustcap as the niteshade...its not to boob like...lol

if that makes sense....lol

i'm very interested ...will they be able to burp at 16kw per sub?

and as far as efficiency...will it be atleast 95db 1w/1m?

Nice any idea about how long it would take to start production. I know I takes time to perfect and get it going but if the time span is decent, can maybe prolong my brothers build for these subs. thanks

Hmm what is price on them? I would probally seriously consider as long as they could play good musical.... how would it sound compared to the nightshade

Price - not sure

ETA - not sure

Just checking interest right now :)

As far as sound, that will be customizable. They can be made to sound pretty good, but can also be adjusted with more SPL in mind.

---

"Sensitivity" will depend on the coil, spider, and cone selected - I'll have more info when I start putting some together.

Will also need to test for burp power, another thing on the to-do list :)

that sexy cone looks thick!

It is. It's really almost unnecessarily strong for anything but ridiculous burps.

For most people the Nightshade is really all they need :)

Just to be clear - this driver will not be your best choice from Sundown for price to performance for under 2000 watts - that will be the Nightshade's territory. Improvements are being made to the Nightshades as well - they are a KILLER driver and will only get better.

It is. It's really almost unnecessarily strong for anything but ridiculous burps.

Just to be clear - this driver will not be your best choice from Sundown for price to performance for under 2000 watts - that will be the Nightshade's territory. Improvements are being made to the Nightshades as well - they are a KILLER driver and will only get better.

the only thing that will make the niteshade better is lower the fs without taking away the efficiency....and have it tooled so it can play in both sealed and ported ....other than that..its a great sounding sub

the only thing that will make the niteshade better is lower the fs without taking away the efficiency....and have it tooled so it can play in both sealed and ported ....other than that..its a great sounding sub

Making a sub more sealed friendly pretty much = less SPL ported (for the most part)

Basically, what you are asking for breaks the laws of speaker design :) Lowering the Fs will call for more mass or looser suspension - one decreases efficiency and one decreases power handling.

If someone was silly enough to want it I could put a 4-layer coil in the Nightshade or this big driver with softer spiders and make it better for sealed.