sundownz

Bigger Sub ?

Making a sub more sealed friendly pretty much = less SPL ported (for the most part)

Basically, what you are asking for breaks the laws of speaker design :) Lowering the Fs will call for more mass or looser suspension - one decreases efficiency and one decreases power handling.

If someone was silly enough to want it I could put a 4-layer coil in the Nightshade or this big driver with softer spiders and make it better for sealed.

what about putting the coil more in the gap...i know that will lower the fs alittle bit.

but based on wat u said ..... 4get the idea.....leave it alone...lol

Making a sub more sealed friendly pretty much = less SPL ported (for the most part)

Basically, what you are asking for breaks the laws of speaker design :) Lowering the Fs will call for more mass or looser suspension - one decreases efficiency and one decreases power handling.

If someone was silly enough to want it I could put a 4-layer coil in the Nightshade or this big driver with softer spiders and make it better for sealed.

what about putting the coil more in the gap...i know that will lower the fs alittle bit.

but based on wat u said ..... 4get the idea.....leave it alone...lol

Do you mean a tighter gap ? Generally that'll raise BL which will also lower Qts and make the sub have a worse response sealed.

hmmm...i guess making it alittle favorable 2wards sealed is a no go.. i have to put that nightshade in a ported box cuz in a sealed box it sounds really good and gets decently loud....but yea...make the nightshade a sub that only likes ported and 6th order bandpass boxes...and raise the efficiency

hmmm...i guess making it alittle favorable 2wards sealed is a no go.. i have to put that nightshade in a ported box cuz in a sealed box it sounds really good and gets decently loud....but yea...make the nightshade a sub that only likes ported and 6th order bandpass boxes...and raise the efficiency

Ported will gain you alot :)

thats sex 2 my ears

Very interested as I want to use 2 SAZ-3000D's per sub. I have 4 of the amps, right now the box is just big enough for 2 15's. This way I don't have to try and rebuild to use the other 2 amps.

Would be cool, but if you can't get enough interest in a 5KW sub, what makes you think this will work?

Very interested as I want to use 2 SAZ-3000D's per sub. I have 4 of the amps, right now the box is just big enough for 2 15's. This way I don't have to try and rebuild to use the other 2 amps.

We'll get your burping on the Nightshades with the two amps soon!

If you really want to do 10kw on the Nightshades let me know and I can tune up your re-cones even more (I'll go five spiders instead of just four), just let me know. I'm building some for another Team member who plans to do 10kw each as well.

Would be cool, but if you can't get enough interest in a 5KW sub, what makes you think this will work?

The project lacking interest was a 5kw amp, not sub :)

I think a built to order big boy sub would sell well enough to make it worth my effort. I wouldn't expect to sell all that many, maybe 100 in a year unless they take off beyond expectations.

its kind of like the T3 T.S.N.S built to order and what makes JD his money are the smaller subs he may loose a bit of money on the big guy with all his support he gives his guys

Edited by loudcav

We'll get your burping on the Nightshades with the two amps soon!

If you really want to do 10kw on the Nightshades let me know and I can tune up your re-cones even more (I'll go five spiders instead of just four), just let me know. I'm building some for another Team member who plans to do 10kw each as well.

Would love to. The stronger you can make it the better for me. You can e-mail me cost and when ready to ship. Thanks Jacob

e-mail: bdufner@midrivers.com

The project lacking interest was a 5kw amp, not sub :)

I think a built to order big boy sub would sell well enough to make it worth my effort. I wouldn't expect to sell all that many, maybe 100 in a year unless they take off beyond expectations.

D'oh! I knew what the project was, but I definitely messed up and said a 5kw sub, lol. I guess if you can afford to keep stock on the parts its a cool product to have in your stable. It is definitely different than an amp obviously, not as expensive and not as large of development costs.

wow this sounds awesome esp. if i could stick to my single sub setup and throw tons of power to it.

I wouldn't expect to be building them until 2009 - but I'll have a few teaser shots of protos until then :)

based on the eta of 2009, i think i would be down for one...

Jacob......10" please, pretty please!

If so put me down for two of them!!

You wouldn't be able to mount them normally or play music on them, still interested :P

Spiders are so wide that the travel for the cone would be severely limited and the magnet OD = the basket OD = you can't put it in the hole.

i'd be interested in these if i wasnt going for all them 8 inchers :P (which i *might* be able to get soon...if a couple interests go through on my subs). but...by 2009 i'll probably switch my setup around, and definitely look into sundown. i love the amps, and they really tuned me into the brand/company.

I hope to have the first prototype motor within a month :)

Thing is going to be HEAVY... I predict ~80-90 pounds for the motor.

Jacob......10" please, pretty please!

If so put me down for two of them!!

You wouldn't be able to mount them normally or play music on them, still interested :P

Spiders are so wide that the travel for the cone would be severely limited and the magnet OD = the basket OD = you can't put it in the hole.

NO.....lol

I guess I will stick with my MT's and hope that some manufacturer makes a somewhat affordable 10" that will take 3k playing music.

I think that would be a sweet sub. I'd love to be able to have my subs built the way I wanted to. I like the customization idea.

big_coil_1.jpg

big_coil_2.jpg

Sample "standard" coil - eight layers, round copper clad aluminum, dual 1 configuration.

Thats a big ol' coil - pictured next to 2" diameter coil.

Just waiting on the motor to try it out in :)