Sign in to follow this  
iceteebone

what amp do you guys power your magnums with?

i'm looking for a new amp for my 12" magnum about 1200 wrms @1 ohm and wanted to hear your guys suggestions. i have a stock electrical system so i want something that makes rated power at like 13 volts instead of 14.5 volts and doesn't strain my electrical system. the most i want to spend is like $350. an amp i have in mind is the elemental designs nine.1, but i'm leary with what i have been hearing about ED. i also have been considering the cadence z1200. i know it's asking a lot but please help me choose. thanks

You'd be better with one that produces 1200@4ohms, but that will be quite rare, pricey and probably A/B. Look on Ebay for a used MMATS D200 or D300HC. VERY efficient and compact. WIll not get hot either.

JL1000/1 will do 1k@4ohms

it will also cost more than i want to spend. also i am curious as to why an amp putting out 1200 watts at 4 ohms would be better than one at 1 ohm? also i am currently running a hifonics brutus 1000D and my electrical system is handling it perfectly. i am looking to upgrade because that hifonics just isn't pushing the magnum.

check out ebay for an orion 1200 or a viper 1200.1. sometimes they show up there after being remanufactured.

i found a refurbed viper 1200.1 for like 2 something at ikesound. would that push it pretty good?

Cadence A7HC...at least 1200 @ 13v i'd say. That's what i run on my mag. And although it's been writen that these subs are bottomless...not exactly true.

The voice coil will not bottom out...so that's good, however..the cone itself will actually have so much excursion it bottoms out on the basket where the spider attaches to the basket...basically the ring that holds the spider. Pretty insane.

I've only done that free air and set my gains so it would be hard to do it otherwise.

The viper looks like a decent deal. not sure what that power rating is at. But they are decent amps from what i've heard.

As for amps that do 1200 into 4 ohms....

the PG tantrum 1200.1 is a great candidate. Does 1200+ @ 4 ohms and also at 2 ohms too...so if you add a second sub, you'd probably be fine.

Good luck, and run some other options by us...we'll hook you up good :)

mark

it will also cost more than i want to spend. also i am curious as to why an amp putting out 1200 watts at 4 ohms would be better than one at 1 ohm? also i am currently running a hifonics brutus 1000D and my electrical system is handling it perfectly. i am looking to upgrade because that hifonics just isn't pushing the magnum.

Running at 4ohms will put less strain on the electrical system and the amp itself. Less heat=longer life and better performance. Your electrical system may well be just fine, but why put more strain on it than you have to?

Cadence A7HC...at least 1200 @ 13v i'd say. That's what i run on my mag. And although it's  been writen that these subs are bottomless...not exactly true.

The voice coil will not bottom out...so that's good, however..the cone itself will actually have so much excursion it bottoms out on the basket where the spider attaches to the basket...basically the ring that holds the spider. Pretty insane.

I've only done that free air and set my gains so it would be hard to do it otherwise.

The viper looks like a decent deal. not sure what that power rating is at. But they are decent amps from what i've heard.

As for amps that do 1200 into 4 ohms....

the PG tantrum 1200.1 is a great candidate. Does 1200+ @ 4 ohms and also at 2 ohms too...so if you add a second sub, you'd probably be fine.

Good luck, and run some other options by us...we'll hook you up good :)

mark

the amps i have in mind are the orion 1200D, directed 1500D, viper 1200.1, elemental designs nine.1, cadence z1200 or a7hc.  all of those i can find within my budget except for the cadence but i'm sure if i look hard enough i could find them.

what about a pheonix gold xenon 1200.1? it says 1200 watt rms from 1-4 ohms and 80% efficiency. i heard good things about the tantrums and how underrated they were, but how do these amps stack up? i found a really good price on one and i'm thinking about buying it.

While the post question and the thread question are totally unrelated, I'll reply to the thread question (which is why I clicked on it in the first place) ;) : I run a modified PPI A600.2 that does right at 1k watt at 4 Ohm mono.

PS: I urge strongly against the JBL 1200 watt'er.

I'm running a crossfire BMF 1000D.

the nine.1 has been tested to do about 1500 watts at 1 ohm. so it's a strong amp. but I would also recommend MMATS and Orion.

Running at 4ohms will put less strain on the electrical system and the amp itself. Less heat=longer life and better performance. Your electrical system may well be just fine, but why put more strain on it than you have to?

Thanx fryr

My mag had an avionixx1200.2 on it, that recently decided to break. I haven't had a great yearning for bass yet so the 12 stays out of the car for now :)

Modded D300HC on each Mag...ran in 4 ohms...bout 700 at the most on the pair...way more than enough for the job....

im running a tru H1. and i STRONGLY suggest the tru amps to anyone who can get their hands on one :)

edit, i also suggest squirrles or midgets to anyone who can get them.

oh, and to answer the original question, I run a viper 1200.1 on one mag 15"

how do you like that viper on the magnum? i'm thinking about getting that viper at ikesound but i'm not sure yet.

I have never powered it with anything else to campare it against. But I'm happy. I know there is another forum member on here that has the same setup as well. My previous install was 5-10's powered with an xtant 10001d amp (1000wrms), in a hatchback. This one 15 mag is 90% as loud, but it's in the trunk! Also, it sounds about 5 times better.

Any Cadence amp will be great! Well, given it outputs a generous amount of power.