Sign in to follow this  
ibsmooth

how do I calculate port area

I want to make a box for my 03 yukon this is what I have H21"xL46"xD28" I want to chamber both 18's with a 3" port turned to 33hz is this right for my truck. I want to put the subs up with ports up is this right or should I go with subs up and ports back? Need help from the family. Thanks for all the advise.

you are going to need a LOT more port area than a 3" round port for 2 18's. I'd say do something at least 120 sq. inches, which if you're doing round ports would require at least four 6" round ports. I think in most SUVs the alignment of subs up, port back works the best.

general rule of thumb is between 12-16 square inches of port per cubic foot of space in the box. i dont have my tuning calculator on this PC yet, but i should in a couple of days if i can quit bein lazy and transfer my files. send me a PM if you still need help (it'll be easier than looking for this thread :P) and i can help you with the tuning. slot or aero...whichever way you wanna go

you are going to need a LOT more port area than a 3" round port for 2 18's. I'd say do something at least 120 sq. inches, which if you're doing round ports would require at least four 6" round ports. I think in most SUVs the alignment of subs up, port back works the best.

Ok I think I mean to say 3' by 19.5 I hope thats right on each chamber. The port is going to run the full length and be 3' on the sub side up. I hope thats right.

Edited by ibsmooth

It's still too little surface for 1 18. I would go with ~100sqin for each sub to be safe from port noise.

Ok I think I mean to say 3' by 19.5 I hope thats right on each chamber. The port is going to run the full length and be 3' on the sub side up. I hope thats right.

ah. When I just reread it I thought hmm, now that I read it again I think he might mean a 3" wide x height of the enclosure slot port. haha. 60 sq. inches isn't too bad. It will help even more if you kinda round all the corners inside and out of the enclosure with some sandpaper.

Even more would be better :D

I get a very tiny amount of chuffing with 100sqin on the xxx.