snb778

RL-s... not popular???

I have been searching around for a decent sounding 18" sub...and I wanted to compare the RL-s with the Havoc (even though there is no 18" RL-s)...regardless... why does it seem like everyone goes with the RLp instead of the RL-s?? Kinda confused me... is the RLs more SPL oriented??

also if anyone has a good suggestions for a nice sounding LSQ 18" sub that can take about 2k+ please let me know, cause im having a hard time finding one myself...its either that, or 2 12's... I would like something that I can use sealed, but also ported...Hence why I was looking at the Havoc, but it has limited power handling it seems.

Thx

the rl-s is the overall better driver, but it does come at a premium, especially compared to the rl-p. also, less wiring options.

the rl-p 18 would be a good choice, though 2kwrms might be a bit much. another option would be the SSA 18s that are coming out.

if i had to choose the best sub from those three, the rl-s would be it. the rl-p and SSA driver would be tied at a very close second. the rl-s is a monster when it comes to sq and output. not knocking the havoc, but i have no experience with it, or the new SSA driver. i do own an ICON, and it's very comparable to the rl-p, IMO. it does have a bit more power handling then the rl-p.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I can think of 2 reasons :

single 3 coil

big sealed box requirements.

IME, teh Rl-s doesn't need as big as a box as people think. it did real well in a smaller ported box in the trailblazer, lol. real well!!!

but the 3ohm coil is a bitch, hehe.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

single 3 ohm....ouchhh...why even design it like that?

what is the new SSA driver coming out?

single 3 ohm....ouchhh...why even design it like that?

what is the new SSA driver coming out?

at the time the rl-s came out, it's coil technology could only be done in single 3 ohm. it's the first production LMS driver available.

you'll have to check out the SSA forum here. it's an 18, but i dunno what they are going to call it or if they are going to include it in the ICON line.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

yea im lookin to buy something in the next few days here.. I just don't even know what to look at.. Its either 2 12's or 1 18" (no room for 2 15's ported for most subs) I have 7.4cu. feet MAX to work with, before displacement...so 1 18" will be perfect... really interested in that Havoc though.. I just think the RL-p has more power handling, but I may be wrong..also from what i've read, the Havoc will have a little more output., BUT.. i think the RL-p will sound better sealed...

Please leave input on that if you have any knowledge of either driver

yea im lookin to buy something in the next few days here.. I just don't even know what to look at.. Its either 2 12's or 1 18" (no room for 2 15's ported for most subs) I have 7.4cu. feet MAX to work with, before displacement...so 1 18" will be perfect... really interested in that Havoc though.. I just think the RL-p has more power handling, but I may be wrong..also from what i've read, the Havoc will have a little more output., BUT.. i think the RL-p will sound better sealed...

Please leave input on that if you have any knowledge of either driver

I have the havoc 18, Here is the review I wrote when I bought it:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...c=11184&hl=

It is still going strong off my saz-1500d. If you have q's ... lemme know

you had the older model?? or did they not remodel it since last year?? I don't like the fact that it is only 35lbs...thats pretty damn light for an 18"... Also don't like how you said it lost the punchiness...when I think sealed, LSQ sub, punchiness is def. part of the criteria I have in mind.

anybody know which can handle more power?? The RLp or Havoc? i'd probably run at 2 ohms for an EST: of 2000watts and I'd run little to no gain...

but you said 7.? cuft box sealed!!?? isnt that the ported recommendation.. IF THAT?

The RL-s is a great driver, but like mentioned above due to the coil and the power levels, along with a larger box size, it tends to be more popular in the home audio crowd. It is a driver with very high limits, but a few obstacles to reach those limits.

I would love to own one for my home stereo. That should say a great deal that I am saying that. :)

I would love to see one in action...ill have to check R.O.E. and see if there are any vids...

anyways... back to what I have planned.. Just went out and bought 3x4" Flared Aero ports...hopefully will only need 2...they are 10" long tip to tip.......

Anybody have any other subs I should look at... either 2 12" Used (want to stay UNDER $400) or 1 18" (new or used) for an LSQ app. Again, still leaning towards the RL-p, but I know that prefers a sealed box.. right??? I just would like to utilize the power of my amp... MM3000.1@1

Is 7.4 cu. ft enough for most 18's ported (wanna try both, thats why I ask) before port and Disp. (which would probably bring it to like 6cu. ft?)

bump.. .any other recommendations?? You guys think ill be better off doin the 2 12's just to open my options more....Right now seems like the RLp and Havoc are my only options.... think 2 q's or Mags will SOUND louder?

the rl-p is a bit more geared towards a ported box, it just does well dealed.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Havocs cannot be bought online anymore, so you would have to find a dealer. MAG's are not here yet that I know of. So it is a win win situation in my eyes between the RL-p or the Q.

For a true loud SQ app, all you need is a 15"...if that.

A single Icon (along with countless other drivers) should do it well :)

I think i'd be more interested in the Older Mags...even after reading a review on them, and talking to Nick @SI.... sound like a great driver, i'm just not convinced, primarily cause of the size, power handling.. I know that's just being skeptical but ill wait for more reviews before I'd try it... plus I reallllly want to get something here inthe next few days.

Denim, you think the 2 12's sounds like the way I should go... I kinda think the same...just an 18" around my area would be completely different, and its just easier dealing with 1 driver, and most cost effective, AND im going from 2 15's to 2 12's then, which again, me being stubborn, but i'd be afraid it wouldnt have as much output.

would 2 15" FI Q's work in 7.4cu. ft WELL, before displ.?

Edited by snb778

For a true loud SQ app, all you need is a 15"...if that.

A single Icon (along with countless other drivers) should do it well :)

id rather do the 18 then... I just wanna be able to match the output (NOT on the mic) that my 2 15's had, along with having the better SQ, or punchiness/tightness.... I don't care about loud at the mic here, just so im clear on that, but id like to keep some window flexin goin on... im not lookin for like an Arc flatline, or IDmax... thats a little TOO SQ for my preference...

keep in mind im comin from 2 15" R's ported w/ MM3000.1.. so I want to keep the volume, only sound better doing it, and maybe a little bit more.. BUT, dont let the 2 15's fool ya, cause I just made a box for 1 (the one that is kinda messed up) and if it wasnt a messed up sub, it would get just as loud.

sry for bein so fussy.. I just don't want to go to 2 smaller drivers, and then its not as loud, cause I wont have enough money to upgrade again... I can only afford 1 system/year...or I should say, can only afford to swap subs once a year

Edited by snb778

the rl-s is a beast, i remember chad on the ecoustics forum had 2 15's with a kx2500.1 amp walled in a civic sealed and was doing like mid 140's at on music iirc. but ya the main resaon no one has them is cause of the coil ohms and box size. last i knew their was an AA avalanche 18 on ebay might wanna look at it although it only needs around 1200wrms to get moving.

ok, so now im really considering the FI Q 18" w bp option.... How would that stack up against the RL-p... little more output, little less SQ??

and yea that 18" avalanch is a good one to throw in the mix.... please comment

keep in mind im comin from 2 15" R's ported w/ MM3000.1.. so I want to keep the volume, only sound better doing it,

Don't think that's going to happen, regardless of the woofer chosen.

keep in mind im comin from 2 15" R's ported w/ MM3000.1.. so I want to keep the volume, only sound better doing it,

Don't think that's going to happen, regardless of the woofer chosen.

what you don't think any of my current options will get as loud??

Keep in mind I made a new box for 1 15" and it got just as loud as the 2 (cause I had limited space)

maybe you should try the deathrow 18 from IA

maybe you should try the deathrow 18 from IA

just checked it out... way over my pricerange.... I gotta say though, check out the pic of the dust cap on their website...there is glue all over it...kinda turns you off...its like if you can't post a good, clean pic of your own product...c'mon

lawl.

the humor was missed.

what was it?