Sign in to follow this  
JimJ

My Thoughts on the Sundown Audio SD-1v2

First off, thanks to Jacob of Sundown Audio for letting me review this driver :)

I always like listening to lower-power woofers in the 2-300W range, because these smaller drivers show that especially when musical accuracy is concerned, you don't need the multi-kW behemoths that are becoming commonplace these days. Just 300W and a small sealed enclosure is often times all you need to realistically reproduce most anything you can throw at it. For this review, I wired the voice coils for a combined 8 ohm load, with an Xover point of 50Hz @ 24dB/oct. The enclosure was slightly under 1cF, sealed.

Aesthetics:

You normally don't expect much in the way of build quality for subwoofers in the SD-1's price bracket. I was pretty surprised on opening the packaging therefore to see push terminals and a basket more substantial than a simple stamped design. Small things like this may not impact the sound of the driver - but not having to find and crimp quick disconnects to mate to the typical terminals you find on subs of this nature is a time saver and is appreciated. The mounting depth lends itself well to mounting in center consoles or other hidden locations.

What's to Like:

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

The plucked strings of "Betta Git It In Ya Soul" exemplifies why I love this album; Mingus' playing is superb and a good sub should resolve all the grit and soul of the bass itself. I thought the SD-1 did an admirable job, with a good transient attack and ability to dig surprisingly deep without calling attention to itself.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (The Chain)

While the SD-1 didn't have the jaw-dropping command of this track that I experienced when I listened to the new Magnum, it's no slouch, either :) The underlying bass line was tight and tuneful, with none of the bloat or lag that afflict inferior drivers. Overall volume was satisfying as well, any fears that I may have had about running out of undistorted output were soon ended with a flick of the volume knob.

Tift Merritt - Another Country (Something to Me, Broken)

I first heard Tift's new material live at MerleFest earlier this year, and while the acoustics weren't too great there, the studio versions are blissful exceptions to the current "loudness wars". This is not a place for a strong, overpowering subwoofer - it'll sound woefully out of place. The SD-1 provided all that was needed, and the overall effect got my foot tapping quite nicely. You really need to be able to enjoy these without thinking "Oh, that subwoofer sounds good" - the SD-1 allows you do to this easily in its recommended sealed alignment.

What's Not to Like:

With just a single 10", I felt as if large symphonic arrangements were slightly beyond the grasp of what the SD-1 could do cleanly. With more cone area to work with, I'm sure the individual drivers can handle it well, but with only one I don't think you'd be happy if your usual listening fare is heavy on Orff, Holst, or Tchaikovsky.

Overall, if you're looking for a small, unassuming subwoofer to play accurately on a budget, the SD-1 is a solid option. It's not a world-beater by any means, but it's an honest speaker that can be a welcome addition to a reasonable, lower-powered setup.

Good work Jim, I give it 4.5 out of 5 foot taps. ;)

Would you mind reposting it in the review section too.

I tried to split it to the reviews section.. but that didn't work. bummer.

I have a 2000 silverado reg. cab and Im thinking switching out m 2 old mtx 10's in a sealed box, to 1 Sundown sd1v2 sub in a 1.0-1.5cuft ported truck box behind the seat. Will this sub like this box? I currently have a sundown 1000 amp also. Thanks!

Edited by wylie125

Sign in to follow this