95Honda

Just for FI....

with 500 watts I would not run a BTL...I would run an SSD

Thats why they have different RMS ratings. I would even venture so far as to say with 500 watts the SSD would get louder then the BTL due to the way the sub woofers are intended to be used.

Ding, nailed it again.... :)

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE,..... HE JUST SAID THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF YOU AND YOU SAID HE MADE YOUR POINT

His point is the perception that the BTL has of needing 2k watts to function, and Hayes feels that the lower power handling less efficient woofer would be louder.

i now understand that

The real efficient 8 box... All 375 pounds of it...

re2.jpg

re4.jpg

re5.jpg

re1.jpg

Edited by 95Honda

OK, here is where serious efficiency meets serious bottom end...

2 cabinets, each 20ft tuned at around 25Hz, 400+ pounds each, 1 1/4" MDF construction

4 Aura NRT 18s... Underhung Neo motors w/4" Voice coils and serious 10" spiders...

95db pro-audio woofers meet real enclosures meant for serious low end wang

These things were (are) ridiculous, would hand any IMAX sub system its ass...

I built these for an Air Base movie theater while in the middle east last year...

DSC01258.jpg

DSC01323.jpg

DSCN0386.jpg

DSCN0402.jpg

DSCN0395.jpg

Must be the comm shack judging by the '70's era vinyl flooring.

You know it....

Neodium magnets must have some pretty good flux density for the sizes used in drivers.

Man those are really 20 cubes each? That really isn't as big as I thought it was then.

Well, I guess since I figured out how to use photo bucket... Here are the XXXs in the living room...

2ch1.jpg

Man those are really 20 cubes each? That really isn't as big as I thought it was then.

You know, thats funny, the pieces of mdf never looked big after cutting them up either (or when I designed this on paper), until they were all put togther... And I had to move them around...

I'm 6'2" so you can kind of get an idea for size of the boxes....

I don't wanna put this thread off into a different topic or anything, but this seems like a pretty simple question and I guess I just really need a confirmation.

So if I have a 1500D and I want to get the loudest possible noise out of Fi's line-up and could pick any one of them and use them all to optimal box sizes lets say, I would pick the BTL to achieve the "loudest" sound??

I don't wanna put this thread off into a different topic or anything, but this seems like a pretty simple question and I guess I just really need a confirmation.

So if I have a 1500D and I want to get the loudest possible noise out of Fi's line-up and could pick any one of them and use them all to optimal box sizes lets say, I would pick the BTL to achieve the "loudest" sound??

Correct, for achieving the "loudest" sound.

You can always upgrade power if you want it louder...

Looks like the kitchen floor at my new place......with flower wall paper. Lol

Man I just took the (4) avalanche 15's out of the sealed boxes last night to start on the new ported boxes :D

Brian

Orange '70's vinyl deserves a avacodo color refridgerator to make the perfect retro match.....

Orange '70's vinyl deserves a avacodo color refridgerator to make the perfect retro match.....

Haha we have one in our garage that we use as a beer fridge!

This thread should change its name to Just for everyone....

High efficiency anything is very fun.

There's a reason why I'm an unabashed Altec VOTT fanboy ;)

People to love the 70's retro houses. My buddy had a bathroom with the green shower, toilet, and sinks. Even better the toilet was some crazy looking square designs. Someone should have told the interior decorators at the time how chitty that fad was. At least I don't have any shag carpet here :).

High efficiency anything is very fun.

There's a reason why I'm an unabashed Altec VOTT fanboy ;)

I was waiting for you to comment. The first thing I thought of when i saw this thread was those Altecs you posted a while back.

Man I just took the (4) avalanche 15's out of the sealed boxes last night to start on the new ported boxes :D

Brian

You know, I have been thinking about trying something different for the sub stage also.... It's not that I don't love the XXXs, I will never part with them... But I have had the same sub stage since 05' in there...

My thoughts were some of the new Dayton 15HFs. I can get those shipped to me for under $100 each, I was think of doing 8 of them, two boxes with 2 pairs isobaric in each box. The boxes could be pretty small that way... Just a thought though..... I dunno....

My take on this is this:

The most efficient among the FI lines, given the factor of 500 watts on each sub is the SSD. All because of its rating it can sing at its own level of likeness. The BL, Q and BTL however will still move the cone with 500 watts but will not perform as well because it was not build for that small amount of power.

Again it will sing but not that well.....so to answer the querry of EFFICIENCY, its the SSD (at 500 watts)

someone understands

Actually, no, this is the mistake being made.

At 500 watts the BTL is more efficient than the SSD (and Q and Bl etc) and will play louder. The BTL is more efficient at 1 watt, 10 watts, 500 watts and 1000 watts, etc.....

But I think we are beating a dead horse at this point.... Some will get this, some won't... Take it for what it is.

You mean to tell me that a btl w/ 500wrms will have greater output than a ssd? Maybe if its in an 8th order series tuned bandpass (btl) for this matter.

NO. not enough power to over compensate the stiff suspension of the btl. Will it be loud, maybe, will it be the loudest per your power input to it...no

You do realize that if you put one watt into an SSD and a BTL, the BTL is louder, right? And at 10 watts, and at 100 and at 500? With the same enclosure alignment...... The efficiency rating the manufacturers gave the subs was at 1 watt, not the RMS power... Stiff spiders and all, the BTL is still the most efficient sub out there (from FI)... It is a db or so higher than all the others...

But, like I said it is a dead horse at this point... I think I'm done attempting to explaining this...

Edited by 95Honda

with 500 watts I would not run a BTL...I would run an SSD

Thats why they have different RMS ratings. I would even venture so far as to say with 500 watts the SSD would get louder then the BTL due to the way the sub woofers are intended to be used.

thats what i thought... but it seems i have been mis lead my whole life. you have too hayes im sorry....

funny tho.. i have yet to hear anyone that owns a btl that DOES NOT FEED IT OVER 2k....

or any big sub like that.

yeah i run a sundown 3000D to each of my 18" btls :) i dont see why you would run anything less i mean sure it would work but it would not be giving you the full potential of the sub :drink40: