SoundSplinter

Orphan 8's Need a Home!

Hey everyone! :eek5wavey:

As Kent mentioned last weekend, I have a handful of orphan drivers available that are not listed on the website. First up, I scored a lot of around 70 TC2+ based 8" drivers. These manufacture at the same cost as our coveted RL-i8, however they were manufactured for a third-party retailer who returned them because the magnet structure was 0.5" too tall for their given application. As a result, I managed to sweep these up on a discount some time ago, and am offering them here for general sale since I know many people have been wanting a beefy 8" driver, and our RL-i8's are navigating some serious production hurdles on account of our manufacturer recently declaring bankruptcy.

For more than 30% less than our RL-i8, you can snag one of these Single 6 ohm Orphan 8's for $145 + shipping.

Orphan_8_excursion.jpg

Orphan_8_topangle.jpg

Orphan_8_sideangle.jpg

T/S Parameters for the Orphan 8 Single 6 Ohm:

• Qts - 0.405
  • Qes - 0.442
  • Qms - 4.778
  • Fs - 34.289 Hz
  • Re - 5.25 Ohm
  • Ls - 12.16mH
  • Lp - 4.053 mH
  • Rp - 25.46 Ohm
  • Vas - 5.031 L
  • Mms - 214.1 g
  • Cms - 100.6 m/N
  • Bl - 23.39 T*m
  • Sensitivity - 78.44 dB
  • 17mm Xmax

I also have about four or five RL-i12 Dual 4 Ohm drivers available, from our original production run in 2004.

These are classic, low-distortion drivers fantastic for small sealed enclosures (~1.25 cu ft) with 300 - 500 watts of input power.

Yours today, for only $150 + shipping! :neil:

RL-i12.jpg

T/S Parameters for the RL-i12 Dual 4 Ohm:

• Qts - 0.247
  • Qes - 0.273
  • Qms - 2.521
  • Fs - 18.563 Hz
  • Re - 5.69 Ohms
  • Ls - 4.788 mH
  • Lp - 5.461 mH
  • Rp - 9.682 Ohms
  • Vas - 166.5 L
  • Sd - 0.0457 m^2
  • Mms - 149.3 g
  • Cms - 492.2 m/N
  • Bl - 19.03 T*m
  • Sensitivity - 87.73 dB
  • Xmax - 19 mm

I knew there were some RL-i 12's left. :)

Aloha Mike, just wondering what kind of power you think those Orphans can take. I'm a friend of Myron aka yama168, and have always been impressed with his different RL-i 8 setups. Also, do you think these will do well in enclosures that your RL-i 8's thrived in? Pretty interested.

ALOHA FROM HAWAII,

SKY

nice!! i wish i had not worked 16 hours today, lol.

anyway, i still might be hitting you up for an orphan or two.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I need to fight the addiction, the urge for a handful of orphan annie's is strong. :P

I know what you mean Aaron. I just pulled up my bank account and got out the calculator. I know I shouldn't. In reality, I can't.. But I might...

I need to decide on a front stage before I start buying subs to be used when the sub I just ordered isn't here yet!

lol.

Aloha Mike, just wondering what kind of power you think those Orphans can take. I'm a friend of Myron aka yama168, and have always been impressed with his different RL-i 8 setups. Also, do you think these will do well in enclosures that your RL-i 8's thrived in? Pretty interested.

ALOHA FROM HAWAII,

SKY

Aloha Sky!

Both the Orphans and the RL-i12 should be fed 300 - 500 watts RMS.

This driver is a good candidate for very small sealed boxes. For vented boxes, it would be most practical to use more than one driver in a shared chamber, as the net volume must be kept relatively low in order to achieve a flat response. Of course, if you don't mind a li'l bit of peakiness, you can always go larger. I'd suggest anywhere from 0.2 - 0.5 cu ft net volume per driver tuned between 30 - 35 Hz.

A passive radiator may be the best way to get the most out of this driver in a small space, as you don't have to deal with the port displacement which will otherwise make for a very large enclosure. I know that the original retailer for whom this driver was intended, used it in a passive radiator system that was less than 1 cu ft in volume and it absolutely shook the house! One of the most impressive 8" woofer systems I've ever seen, to be honest. Unfortunately, the exact specifications of their enclosure are not available to me. Because the aim of the system was to be as small and powerful as possible, which is precisely why they returned the drivers for being just 0.5" too tall to fit in their space efficient enclosures.

How small are you talking sealed for the 8? I'm thinking 3 wired to 2 ohms on a 1500D...

the rl-i8 likes .17ft^3 sealed, i'll wager the orphan's are in that ballpark. box barely big enough to hold the thing, lol. i have a .17ft^3 box for my rl-i8 and it sounded awesome in it, with as little as 100wrms to as much as 750, in car and in room.

i bet three orphan's off a sundown 1500d would be badass!! and tiny!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i bet three orphan's off a sundown 1500d would be badass!! and tiny!!

That's what I'm hoping...

If it wasn't for the single 6 ohm coil. lol.

that's why he's going to do three, lol. 1.5ohm for the win....though i think 4 (and .75) would be better (hint, hint) and just .6ft^3 sealed..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

3 wires to 2 ohms, 4 to 1.5. Power per sub is the same (or close enough) either way. Budget wise and width wise, I'm more comfortable with 3. 6 would be great (and get full power out of the amp), but I don't have that much money or room.

6 ohm coil isnt' that big a deal unless your into playing numbers games. I'm not, so I don't care. I don't try to match up RMS ratings or any of that business. I know that I've gotten plenty of output for me with 400 watts on the sub setup. Roughly double that will be more than enough for me.

wow, my bad. my math was screwed, lol. sorry.

but 6 of them would require a box (just for an example) 18t x 30w x 8d, out of 3/4 gives you a rough net of 1.77ft^3 sealed. account for subs and bracing and tada! a ~1ft^3sealed net enclosure.

but the money part, well, i wish i could help. if i send any money to him, it's fo me, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

but 6 of them would require a box (just for an example) 18t x 30w x 8d, out of 3/4 gives you a rough net of 1.77ft^3 sealed. account for subs and bracing and tada! a ~1ft^3sealed net enclosure.

That's taller than I want to go. The plan is to build a box for a single row of 8s (3 or 4 depending on the subs I decide on) in the extended portion of a Frontier King Cab. The top of the box will have the pads from the jump seats put on it to make it look stock to the casual observer and the amp rack along the back wall of the cab will have a cover that includes the back pads for the jump seats for the same reason. It will leave the jumps sort of functional for seat for people, completely functional for the dog (the intended passenger back there) and still leave room for a sweet stereo.

The finalists in the sub hunt right now are these, SSA's big ass 8s (depending on final specs and release date), Dayton REF210HFs (4 of them) and JL 8W7s. I'll discuss more in the correct forum.

Has anyone grabbed one of these yet?

Has anyone grabbed one of these yet?

I remember an old user (60ndown) had a pair in IB and then sealed. Can't remember his impressions though. I'll try to get him to post ;)

Just an update that I have reduced the price on the Orphan 8's by $20 from $165 to $145 + shipping. :)

I do have two mismatched RL-i12 D4's left. Both with a matte black cone, one with logo and one without. $150 + shipping first come first served.

has anyone actually bought one of these? And is there anyother difference in these and the original soundsplinter 8s besides the cone and ohm load?

I have purchased a couple of these orphan 8's from Mike, and compared to the Audiopulse Epic 8" I bought from him a while ago, these little orphans are pretty bad ass.

They are stiff as hell out of the box, much stiffer than the Audiopulse was, & they really belt out the bass.

In a box they look very plain & simple, no bling here but who cares when they are as loud as they are.

IMG_3627.jpg